Subaru Ascent Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The radio does NOT retain the state it was left in when the car is turned off. If i am driving & listening, then turn radio off. The next time i start the car, the radio magically comes on. It should NOT come on if i left it off when i turned the car off. Very annoying.

Workaround -- turn the volume down and back up. Annoying, but it works.

·
Registered
2020 Ascent, 2011 WRX, 2009 Outback
618 Posts
Hold the volume button to turn off the radio. Tapping the button is just a mute.

·
Registered
1,312 Posts
I've recently noticed that if I mute the radio when it's connected via Bluetooth to my smartphone, it will unmute if a text message on the phone is received and then the radio will begin to play again. This is a software bug and should be able to be fixed.

·
Registered
565 Posts
By just pressing the button, you are muting it and it will come on the next time you start the vehicle. You need to press and hold the button for about 3 seconds to turn it off. If you press and hold the button for around 7 seconds or longer you will "reboot" the infotainment center. No big deal, it's like rebooting your computer or cell phone.

What most people do that's quicker, is to set Channel 0 as a present. This is your Radio ID channel and is silent. So, just press that Preset when exiting the vehicle.

·
Registered
197 Posts
Does anyone know if the current radio update addresses this "feature"? I just updated the radio on my wife's Ascent last week in hopes of fixing an Android Auto bug, but I never bothered to test the volume issue. Maybe because we have gotten use to turning the volume to 0 before we exit the car it's not a deal breaker.

·
Registered
1,312 Posts
By just pressing the button, you are muting it and it will come on the next time you start the vehicle. You need to press and hold the button for about 3 seconds to turn it off. If you press and hold the button for around 7 seconds or longer you will "reboot" the infotainment center. No big deal, it's like rebooting your computer or cell phone.

What most people do that's quicker, is to set Channel 0 as a present. This is your Radio ID channel and is silent. So, just press that Preset when exiting the vehicle.
I know of both of these methods and wish to do neither because it's not just a problem when turning the car off and restarting. It's also a problem while driving. I'm certainly not going to shut down and then reboot the fool thing every time just to mute/unmute it. I could also smash it with a hammer to keep it quiet, but that's no solution either. The point is that it should work correctly and not require any workaround.

The whole idea of a mute button is a very fast way to mute and unmute the audio as often as needed. This is essential when driving. Playing around with other methods is unsafe. When I mute the audio while driving, it often unmutes itself which is just plain nuts and is often very distracting.

The mute should work like a mute and not be so buggy. It's a simple function. A software change can resolve this if they would simply take the time and effort to fix the darn thing.

·
Registered
565 Posts
I know of both of these methods and wish to do neither because it's not just a problem when turning the car off and restarting. It's also a problem while driving. I'm certainly not going to shut down and then reboot the fool thing every time just to mute/unmute it. I could also smash it with a hammer to keep it quiet, but that's no solution either. The point is that it should work correctly and not require any workaround.

The whole idea of a mute button is a very fast way to mute and unmute the audio as often as needed. This is essential when driving. Playing around with other methods is unsafe. When I mute the audio while driving, it often unmutes itself which is just plain nuts and is often very distracting.

The mute should work like a mute and not be so buggy. It's a simple function. A software change can resolve this if they would simply take the time and effort to fix the darn thing.
You are not making sense with your reply. I did not suggest "rebooting" the system. i simply mentioned that if you held the button too long when you pressed it, then it would reboot. If you want to mute it simply press the button. If you want to turn it off, press for 3 seconds or hit another preset. What could be easier? It's just as easy to hit a preset while driving as it is to hit the audio button. I see no "danger" in doing this while driving. In fact, I just select that preset from the audio button on the steering wheel without even looking at anything.

·
Registered
1,312 Posts
You are not making sense with your reply. I did not suggest "rebooting" the system. i simply mentioned that if you held the button too long when you pressed it, then it would reboot. If you want to mute it simply press the button. If you want to turn it off, press for 3 seconds or hit another preset. What could be easier? It's just as easy to hit a preset while driving as it is to hit the audio button. I see no "danger" in doing this while driving. In fact, I just select that preset from the audio button on the steering wheel without even looking at anything.
I don't want to turn off the infotainment system, ever. It's required for other important things, so that "solution" is out.

Pressing the mute button does not work properly, as I stated it often unmutes itself unpredictably which can be distracting while driving. That's clearly a bug in the software which needs to be fixed and should be fixed.

Using a silenced preset may work, but it an unnecessary workaround for a simple function that should work as described.

Please understand that I'm not venting my frustration at you, you're just trying to be helpful, and you are, but I don't have your patience. I wish I did. I'm extremely frustrated with all the many things wrong with the infotainment system now for over a year which Subaru should have fixed long ago. It's the one thing I really don't like about the Ascent that impacts my overall enjoyment of the car. I'm not alone, the Ascent's overall reliability was hit hard in Consumer Reports primarily due to the infotainment system issues which Subaru has so far failed to fix. These results came primarily from owner surveys.

·
Super Moderator
2019 Ascent Touring (CWP)
3,827 Posts
Does anyone know if the current radio update addresses this "feature"?
No, it doesn't change anything like that.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts