Subaru Ascent Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is there a way to keep the radio from turning on when turning on the car. I noticed that if you turn off the radio it will be back on once the car is restarted. When taking a long trip I like to leave early so my 2 year would still be sleeping in the care while I drive. So, unless I remember to turn the volume down to zero the day before, the radio will blast once I start the car causing him to wake up at which point my trip is ruined.
Any ideas?

·
Registered
583 Posts
Is there a way to keep the radio from turning on when turning on the car. I noticed that if you turn off the radio it will be back on once the car is restarted. When taking a long trip I like to leave early so my 2 year would still be sleeping in the care while I drive. So, unless I remember to turn the volume down to zero the day before, the radio will blast once I start the car causing him to wake up at which point my trip is ruined.
Any ideas?
There is a large thread on this subject....Take a look there.....:nerd:

·
Administrator
11,959 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Any ideas?
Hi, you need to push the volume button in and HOLD it a little bit till it turns off. If you just push it in quickly, it only mutes the sound, but doesn’t turn off. Good luck.

·
Registered
611 Posts

·
Administrator
11,959 Posts
Nothing turns off the head unit in a Subaru Ascent that's on... but here's a tip

Hi, you need to push the volume button in and HOLD it a little bit till it turns off. If you just push it in quickly, it only mutes the sound, but doesn’t turn off. Good luck.
Robert - as the other person mentioned, press and HOLD the button for around 5 seconds. The screen will go completely off - dark, and will stay that way until you push the button to power it up.
There's a reason some people complain this doesn't work for them. It does not turn off the radio. It does not turn off all audio sources (try that when Android Auto is running - the head unit will still happily talk to your phone and play all the navigation audio while STILL running the nav app in the background behind its blank screen). Even built in navigation will continue running in the background.

Nothing on the planet turns off the radio in a running Subaru Ascent, and it will happily continue to run your upper display that never turns off, and respond to numerous other things, some of which will trigger the radio to start playing again, such as a bluetooth command from an auto-connected phone.

It will, in various instances, prevent the radio from showing anything on the screen or playing certain audio when the car is turned on. The radio will start, it will turn on its backlight, it will start driving the upper display, it will connect to the car computer through its CANBUS port, and it will wait for anything that tells it to wake fully up, but, the reality is, all it does is blank the screen (yet keep the backlight on) and mute SOME audio sources.

Not counting twisting for volume up/down, the "power" button has FOUR press functions, NONE of which are "turn off the radio".
  1. CLICK (when radio playing): Mute the radio
  2. CLICK (when AA/Carplay/USB music playing): Pause/unpause Android Auto music, or USB music or Bluetooth music
  3. PRESS 5s: mute/pause *radio/music* audio (respectively, as noted above) and blank the screen. No other audio is muted, no other functions are turned off.
  4. PRESS 10s: make the radio reboot.

Sorry folks, hate being the bearer of bad news, but that's how the infotainment system works, and it's also why the other display run from your head unit continues to function when you think you've turned off the head unit (because it's never ever off).

I've used this functionality, and random bluetooth or Android Auto happenings will unmute the radio (or play the USB connected media), such as getting in a phone call and then hanging up (radio/USB starts playing), Android Auto navigation prompt (radio/USB starts playing at end of prompt), etc.

There's also a general inconsistency as to whether the head unit will start with the radio muted on next vehicle start. It doesn't always seem to (as searching the forums will show you). So, there's a number of reasons this won't work every time or for everyone.

There is expected to be a fix for some of that, but, no, that fix will not allow turning off the head unit, since it does a lot more than just make sounds.

SO... THE SOLUTION...
The easiest way to get the radio to NOT play music under ALL scenarios is:
  1. Do not have a USB connected device (eg: thumb drive) plugged in OR do not have "auto play device" enabled in the settings
    AND
  2. Tune the radio to SiriusXM Station 0 (ZERO) (the radio info station, which has no audio) before you shut off the car.

That will mean that even if some activity that would make the radio unpause (for instance, the end of some bluetooth activity), it will play a station with no audio, meaning, the radio will not make music sounds until you tell it to. AND, you will have FULL visual functionality of the head unit still, including being able to run Android Auto's Navigation or CarPlay's navigation, all WITHOUT having music start until you want it to.

It's really that simple - much simpler than long pressing a button and hoping nothing happens that restarts/unmutes the audio.

Set a preset to SiriusXM station 0, select it before you get out of the car. One click on a preset is much quicker than holding a button for 5 seconds. :tango_face_wink:

·
Administrator
11,959 Posts
Ugh, more coffee needed!!!

^ @Robert.Mauro -

SXM Channel 1 is the "Preview" channel - it'll almost always have some kind of content. ;)

I think what you meant was SXM Channel 0 (zero) - which is the Radio ID display.
OMG, yes, yes, I do!!! Thanks, fixing it now.

·
Registered
948 Posts
^ :D I've had way too much coffee today.

No thanks needed - I'm just glad to be able to contribute in what little way that I can. You've done an incredible amount of great work for this community, and I'm just glad to be able to be of some truly very little help to you! :)

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.