Subaru Ascent Forum banner

Radio won't stay off - soft fix

10K views 9 replies 8 participants last post by  Raz007 
#1 · (Edited)
I have the standard limited Ascent with tow package. As some of you may have noticed the friggin' radio will not stay off if you turn it off. Once you restart the car you'll be greeted to something annoying on the radio. Yes, I tried pressing and holding the volume knob until the system turns off. That works until you use any of the audio controls or if you restart the car. I've only found one thing that comes close to a work-around.

The one fix that seems to work more often than not is to plug in a 3.5mm audio jack into the "Aux" input. This activates the "Aux" channel under "Media" and bypasses the default 'on' for the radio.

Come on Subaru. This has to be a software upgrade issue. Simply have the system remember the user's last input upon restart or if that's too hard, set the default to "off" on all audio systems when the car is started. How hard could that be?

Tim

#6 ·
I've found that pressing and holding the volume button to turn the system off is hit or miss on a restart of the car. 1/2 the time it will remember to keep the system off radio, the other half the radio will be blaring upon restart. The Aux channel plugin seems more consistent. . .

#7 ·
I joined the forum looking for a solution to this. The other day my kids and I jumped in the car and there was a totally inappropriate interview on NPR. I couldn't get it turned off quick enough. Anyone have a better solution? I put a USB memory stick into one of the slots with just music on it, and try to remember to hit Media as soon as I start the car, but sometimes it goes to the Sirius Radio and their advertisements, also inappropriate for my kids.
Thanks everyone!

This post has been deleted
#9 ·
Glad to see this forum has helpful people in it who start by belittling people asking a question.
I have read the manual, and I am aware of that there are a couple of, in my opinion, crappy fixes, which really aren't a fix. I don't want the radio off ALL the time. I just want it to go back to where I had it when I turned the car off. I should not have to choose Media every single time I start the car.

I am looking for a better answer for this crappy design. I did not bash Subaru in my post. I love our Ascent.

#8 ·
Really anyone that says read the manual is ignoring the fact that even though it's working as designed, it's absolutely POOR design. Doesn't matter if it was designed that way it's not an excuse for working like crap. No other vehicle on the planet I've even been in acts the way it does in the Ascent.

It's my wife's car and if I had to drive it every day I'd be a lot more upset about it. When I drive it I use a USB thumb drive with all my music on it. Every single time you turn off the vehicle it will switch from the chosen USB media to the radio. WHY!??!?! If I had wanted to listen to the radio I would have selected it. I have a 2013 Ford F150 that doesn't behave that stupidly and I can turn off media/radio without losing the rest of the touchscreen controls for all the other features in the vehicle.

Again it's poor design.... extremely poor. So even after reading the manual it should be fixed because usability is severely lacking. We love the vehicle there are a lot of very well thought out features. The radio/infotainment is definitely NOT one of them.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.