Subaru Ascent Forum banner
1 - 20 of 74 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

Sorry if this has been posted before...Radio turns on when the car starts even when turned off last time it was used.
I have heard this is a new "feature" found on many cars.
Anyone know how to disable this?
I would like the radio to stay off when I turn it off and park the car and not have it automatically turn back on next time I start the car.

Thanks,
Ben

·
Administrator
11,090 Posts
While there's no way of disabling it, there is at least one other option (besides turning it down before leaving the car). You can put a USB stick into one of the USB ports on the dash with some music more to your preference on it, or one empty (no music) very long track of silence.

·
Registered
334 Posts
While there's no way of disabling it, there is at least one other option (besides turning it down before leaving the car). You can put a USB stick into one of the USB ports on the dash with some music more to your preference on it, or one empty (no music) very long track of silence.

If you put the USB stick in, you have to enable the feature to automatically play the USB, otherwise you will still get the radio. Even with that enabled, you still get a few seconds of radio before it switches to the USB.

·
Administrator
11,090 Posts
If you put the USB stick in, you have to enable the feature to automatically play the USB, otherwise you will still get the radio. Even with that enabled, you still get a few seconds of radio before it switches to the USB.
Thanks, yes, I forgot to mention that part.

·
Registered
78 Posts

What's the manufacturers' thinking ( as we used to say what's the "logic"?) behind the always-on audio? What is this supposed to accomplish for us?

I have asked the salesfolk at my preferred Subaru place and they just change the subject :grin:.

·
Administrator
11,090 Posts
If you press and hold the on/off/volume knob for 2 or 3 seconds, the entertainment system will turn off and stay off until you turn it back on.
Alas, it does not turn it off, it just mutes it and blanks the screen (but even leaves the screen on), and it turns back "on" when you start the car and try to use any other feature, connect your phone, etc.

·
Administrator
11,090 Posts
So what is the solution to this? Software update?
Theoretically. Unless someone comes up with another creative idea. Finding a quiet dead zone in the FM world and setting the radio to that might work, for those who don't otherwise use the radio. Won't help those who do use the radio (AM, FM or SiriusXM) because they'd have to remember to tune back to the dead channel. :plain:

·
Registered
78 Posts
It's as if my wife was in a focus group and they made her habits into the example we must all follow.

She doesn't turn off the radio when shutting off the ignition. In fact she doesn't turn off any electrical accessories--A/C and fan, seat heater, wipers, whatever.

I do the exact opposite, 'cuz I was taught (in the stone age) to learn to always turn off everything when exiting the car because then I'd never come back to a dead battery from accidentally leaving the lights on.

·
Registered
494 Posts
It's as if my wife was in a focus group and they made her habits into the example we must all follow.

She doesn't turn off the radio when shutting off the ignition. In fact she doesn't turn off any electrical accessories--A/C and fan, seat heater, wipers, whatever.

I do the exact opposite, 'cuz I was taught (in the stone age) to learn to always turn off everything when exiting the car because then I'd never come back to a dead battery from accidentally leaving the lights on.

My GF and I are the same way. I turn everything off and unplug everything before I turn off the engine. The GF leaves everything on and I cringe every time. hahaha

·
Registered
313 Posts
Ignition off current has been something OEMs have focused on for decades, they want a customer's car to be able to sit somewhere for at least 30 days and not have a dead battery. That is why most telematics systems turn off the cell modem after 14 days of no activity, to conserve power longer to still be able to turn over the engine in several more weeks.

They use the CAN bus and ignition/accessory states very well to control off current draw. There is absolutely no reason in a modern vehicle to be concerned about possible battery drainage for anything other than lights or if there is an always on 12V outlet with something plugged into it. I don't think the Ascent has an always-on (non-accessory) outlet. If a component in a car stays on in the true off state (after all timeouts) it is either a light that was intentionally left off of the BCM control or it is malfunctioning, or a door/liftgate switch is open and they didn't implement a timeout for that condition. Some exceptions come in with variance from OEMs, but what I said is fairly typical.

The only realistic concern is any accessories plugged into 12V accessory outlets. Even modern alternators/batteries can allow states that send transients and spikes which could damage a device, but most accessories have adequate filters, and those issues are usually with a failing battery or alternator. The most severe circumstance is when jump starting a vehicle and a few things that can happen at that time, I personally recommend unplugging accessories when jump-starting, and to minimize current draw turning off everything that can be turned off. All installed components in a vehicle are designed and tested to have immunity to transients, spikes and noise. Reverse polarity, high voltage, etc. should blow a fuse as a worst case and not damage a component.

All that said, I think whatever user controllable state you leave the vehicle in is the state it should come up in.

·
Registered
52 Posts
I figured out that tapping the radio button mutes the radio. When you start the car, it unmutes automatically. If you press and hold the button, the infotainment system shuts down and stays down, even when you start the engine again. I asked the dealership if there was a way to have it remain in the last configuration and was told that nothing can be done about it.

·
Administrator
11,090 Posts
I figured out that tapping the radio button mutes the radio. When you start the car, it unmutes automatically. If you press and hold the button, the infotainment system shuts down and stays down, even when you start the engine again. I asked the dealership if there was a way to have it remain in the last configuration and was told that nothing can be done about it.
The infotainment system never turns off when the car is on. Long press only blanks the screen (it doesn't even turn off the back light) and mutes certain sound source.

Everything continues to run on it, and some sound notifications, such as Android Auto navigation, continue to play through it.

·
Administrator
11,090 Posts
I held down the power button, screen goes black and turns it off completely until you turn the volume up or on.
Trust me, it's not off. See my post above yours.

1 - 20 of 74 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.