Subaru Ascent Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My audio mutes at random times. No sound. The radio display shows the station and song title. Phone calls register. But no sound. The only fix that works is shutting off my car for at least a minute. Has anyone else experienced this.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Not sure if this is your situation but...
With an iphone plugged into the USB ports and the radio on, the radio will mute to allow whatever is on the phone to play without changing the screen. So if someone in passenger seat (or the driver's seat) scrolls through twitter or something else on the phone it will interrupt the radio. I have just about everything on my phone muted so while twitter does not make noise, it still mutes the radio.

You may want track what is happening on the phone(s) when this happens. I also did not realize until recently that both USB ports in the front can be used for apple carplay.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Matt, that isn't the case for me. My phone isn't plugged in. It is hooked up via bluetooth. When it mutes I have no sound from anything. If I get a text and press the read button I hear nothing. The radio has no sound but the screen shows what song is playing. I don't hear directions or any other activity through the radio speakers. It reminds me of when my kids were young and I would shut off the radio. So quiet I can hear myself think.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Just happened to me today so I went here to see if this is a problem. First time it has happened in 3 months. Hope it does not happen again. Any fix to this????

·
Registered
746 Posts
You're lucky, I can't get my radio to shut up. Every time I mute it or any of the other audio sources, turning on/off the car or putting it into reverse turns the audio back on again. Or if I mute the radio, it then sometimes switches to another media choice automatically. It just won't stay quiet. If I ever do want to listen to the radio, it often switches to another media selection by itself. Worst design I've seen. I'm tempted to rip the audio system out, but that's not even possible.

·
Registered
193 Posts
Just drove my new Ascent home today and my radio muted twice on me. Seemed to be associated to my Android phone connected via the USB cable and when I made a call from the steering wheel controls. Had to stop and turn everything off for at least 30 seconds. A quicker off/on didn't do it. The dash had to go through it's start up light show, then the radio would have audio. I'll play with it in the driveway to see if I can replicate the problem reliably before going to the dealer.

·
Registered
2 Posts
My audio mutes at random times. No sound. The radio display shows the station and song title. Phone calls register. But no sound. The only fix that works is shutting off my car for at least a minute. Has anyone else experienced this.
I've had my Ascent for a month, this morning my radio wold not put out any sound but would show song title etc. like yours. I've stopped it, reset the radio by holding the volume button down--still nothing. Any suggestions? Thanks

·
Super Moderator
5,605 Posts
I've had my Ascent for a month, this morning my radio wold not put out any sound but would show song title etc. like yours. I've stopped it, reset the radio by holding the volume button down--still nothing. Any suggestions? Thanks
Demonstrate that to your dealer, instead of trying to fix it. There's a TSB related to such, but, they can't help you if they can't recreate the issue.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Demonstrate that to your dealer, instead of trying to fix it. There's a TSB related to such, but, they can't help you if they can't recreate the issue.
Robert, thanks. I took my Ascent in this am to the dealer. A couple of loose connections in the amp. It's working great again...hopefully, it will last.

·
Registered
132 Posts
I'
Just drove my new Ascent home today and my radio muted twice on me. Seemed to be associated to my Android phone connected via the USB cable and when I made a call from the steering wheel controls. Had to stop and turn everything off for at least 30 seconds. A quicker off/on didn't do it. The dash had to go through it's start up light show, then the radio would have audio. I'll play with it in the driveway to see if I can replicate the problem reliably before going to the dealer.
I'm having this exact same issue with Android.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts