Subaru Ascent Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My Ascent --new-ish, just over 1000 miles -- radio irritates me now end.

One constant gripe of my mine is that it automatically comes on when starting the car! I have to fumble with turning it off as I prepare to back out, filter out my wife's chatter, etc... Its distracting and unwelcome and no other car -- 15 maybe, with 4 Subarus in the mix -- has had this 'feature'! It is probably a simple fix but the owners manual is silent on the matter. I want to have the radio on when I choose, not the **** computer.
Today it threw a new curve at me. In place of all the FM the stations I had pre-selected, the channel displays only read "HOLD" -- a wholly useless and mysterious turn of events. And it appears my selections are lost and it is not allowing me to reset them. Ditto, the users manual lack of advice on this matter.

Any ideas?

·
Registered
1,028 Posts
My Ascent --new-ish, just over 1000 miles -- radio irritates me now end.

One constant gripe of my mine is that it automatically comes on when starting the car! I have to fumble with turning it off as I prepare to back out, filter out my wife's chatter, etc... Its distracting and unwelcome and no other car -- 15 maybe, with 4 Subarus in the mix -- has had this 'feature'! It is probably a simple fix but the owners manual is silent on the matter. I want to have the radio on when I choose, not the **** computer.
Today it threw a new curve at me. In place of all the FM the stations I had pre-selected, the channel displays only read "HOLD" -- a wholly useless and mysterious turn of events. And it appears my selections are lost and it is not allowing me to reset them. Ditto, the users manual lack of advice on this matter.

Any ideas?
Yes, people tend to be pretty vocal about these issues. There's a firmware update that should take care of the radio preset issue. I had the dealer do it, but supposedly there is a DIY USB method.

To avoid the radio blasting you when you start the car, either turn the volume down before shutting the car off (I know this requires thinking ahead). I think most of us just set the SXM to channel "0", which is a silent channel, so that you get blasted with silence the next time you start the car. If you're a radio listener, this isn't a perfect solution. It's an excellent solution if you mainly use a different media source.

·
Registered
73 Posts
I am annoyed with the radio as well. I hate when it turns on when I turn on my vehicle. Wonder what brilliant engineer thought this was good???? I have also never had a car where I can't turn the radio off and it stays off. SOA should find a way to correct this.

·
Registered
2019 Ascent Premium
366 Posts
I am annoyed with the radio as well. I hate when it turns on when I turn on my vehicle. Wonder what brilliant engineer thought this was good???? I have also never had a car where I can't turn the radio off and it stays off. SOA should find a way to correct this.
You can always turn the radio off before you shut the car off. Just touching the volume knob won't do it, that only mutes it and it will be "on" when you start the vehicle again. To actually turn off the radio audio you need to depress the volume knob for several seconds. Then it's off until you decide to turn in back on. From my experience this is no different than any other car I've owned over the last or so years, so there is nothing for Subaru to "correct" in my opinion.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
So this is now the 'standard of the industry'? My last newest car was a 2011 and I was still in control of my radio then.

Silly me, I thought depressing the radio button should turn it off so it stayed off.

·
Registered
210 Posts
This "feature" doesn't bother me a bit, but I don't think I've ever turned a radio off in my car ever...annoys me when my husband drives my car and turns it off. Those cup holders, on the other hand...

·
Registered
46 Posts
I have also never had a car where I can't turn the radio off and it stays off. SOA should find a way to correct this.
Volume knob is also the mute and power button. Pressing on it mutes the audio, while holding it down for several seconds actually turns the system off.

·
Administrator
10,987 Posts
There is NO power button on the Ascent radio

Volume knob is also the mute and power button. Pressing on it mutes the audio, while holding it down for several seconds actually turns the system off.
That's sadly not true. There's no power button on the radio.

The new Subaru Infotainment Systems do NOT have a power button, off switch, or, anything similar. So, here's what the not-power/volume button really does.

(1) short press, radio playing: mute/unmute

(2) short press, media or Android Auto/Carplay media playing: pause/unpause

(3) long press (3 sec): mute/pause music (see #1-2 above) and blank screen.

(4) Reboot head unit: press and hold over ten seconds, do not let go until screen goes blank, then off, and then back on and Starlink logo re-appears.

(5) Turn for volume adjustment

·
Registered
2019 Ascent Premium
366 Posts

The new Subaru Infotainment Systems do NOT have a power button, off switch, or, anything similar. So, here's what the not-power/volume button really does.

(4) Reboot head unit: press and hold over ten seconds, do not let go until screen goes blank, then off, and then back on and Starlink logo re-appears.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LeBYYtZZDJk

While it may not truly power off the radio, it does address the issue that people are complaining about, and that is preventing the radio from making noise when they restart the car. As stated on page 20 in the multimedia navigation manual, pressing and holding the volume control will turn the audio system off, and it will stay off until turned on again.

·
Administrator
10,987 Posts
While it may not truly power off the radio, it does address the issue that people are complaining about, and that is preventing the radio from making noise when they restart the car. As stated on page 20 in the multimedia navigation manual, pressing and holding the volume control will turn the audio system off, and it will stay off until turned on again.
No, it doesn't consistently do that either. There are a number of things that will wake back up the radio and make it play music when one starts the car. There's hundreds of posts on this, and, things have not changed with the latest update.

·
Registered
2019 Ascent Premium
366 Posts
No, it doesn't consistently do that either. There are a number of things that will wake back up the radio and make it play music when one starts the car. There's hundreds of posts on this, and, things have not changed with the latest update.
An example please. Like Android Auto being activated perhaps?

·
Registered
46 Posts

:facepalm: My bad...thanks for clarifying. I mistook the blank screen as the unit turning off. Was outside under the sun, so couldn't tell it was actually still backlit and on.

·
Administrator
10,987 Posts
:facepalm: My bad...thanks for clarifying. I mistook the blank screen as the unit turning off. Was outside under the sun, so couldn't tell it was actually still backlit and on.
It took me a while to figure that part out, and that was with me doing all sorts of tests to try to come up with an answer for everyone who was complaining.

I second the suggestion to tune one channel preset to XM Channel 0. That's what I do.

·
Administrator
10,987 Posts
That's one, I *think*

An example please. Like Android Auto being activated perhaps?
Yes, and sometimes with just a bluetooth connection from a paired phone. It seems inconsistent, but in my gazillion miles of driving and tons of testing to try to find a solution for everyone, I've had it happen numerous times, which confirms the other reports in the forums.

I am STILL not sure what specifically is triggering it, since it's inconsistent. It's baffling. :crying:

I kinda gave up trying to figure out what was triggering it, once a few of us realized that a fast USB drive with preferred music on it would play first, and that one could set XM channel 0 to a preset and leave it "playing" that when turning off the car.

·
Registered
2019 Ascent Premium
366 Posts
Yes, and sometimes with just a bluetooth connection from a paired phone. It seems inconsistent, but in my gazillion miles of driving and tons of testing to try to find a solution for everyone, I've had it happen numerous times, which confirms the other reports in the forums.

I am STILL not sure what specifically is triggering it, since it's inconsistent. It's baffling. :crying:

I kinda gave up once a few of us realized that a fast USB drive with preferred music on it would play first, and that one could set XM channel 0 to a preset and leave it "playing" that when turning off the car.
Well, I just tried to wake up my "turned off" audio when I restarted the vehicle a couple of times, first with a paired phone via Bluetooth, and the second time with Android Auto. Only in the case of the Android Auto connection did the screen "wake up," but the audio (for the radio) remained off until I depressed the volume button. This has consistently been my experience with my unit. I will continue to experiment.

·
Administrator
10,987 Posts
Questions...

Well, I just tried to wake up my "turned off" audio when I restarted the vehicle a couple of times, first with a paired phone via Bluetooth, and the second time with Android Auto. Only in the case of the Android Auto connection did the screen "wake up," but the audio (for the radio) remained off until I depressed the volume button. This has consistently been my experience with my unit. I will continue to experiment.
Hmmm... three questions...
(1) did you update it?
(2) does it have nav?
(3) Do you have AT&T wifi?

Hmmm, I wonder...

To answer my questions:
(1) I updated, definitely happened before, and I recall it happening at least a couple times since (when I'd pulled my USB stick) - but I also have almost 18,000 miles, so, maybe now it's less frequent? Dunno.

(2) I have nav

(3) I have wifi hotspot, which also connects. So, bluetooth, phone to wifi and Android Auto first via bluetooth detection, then via cable.

Way back when, I probably shoulda asked those questions and compared...

·
Registered
2019 Ascent Premium
366 Posts
Hmmm... three questions...
(1) did you update it?
(2) does it have nav?
(3) Do you have AT&T wifi?

Hmmm, I wonder...
It's a Premium with the large (8.5") screen. It's up to date as the head unit checks via WiFi every time I start the car. No navigation. When you ask do I have ATT WiFi, I'm not sure what you mean. The Starlink services use ATT cellular services correct? I did not opt for the ATT WiFi hotspot in the car, but I did set it up so the car connects to my home wifi router every time I pull into the garage, with it consistently telling me it's up to date.

·
Administrator
10,987 Posts
Thanks!

It's a Premium with the large (8.5") screen. It's up to date as the head unit checks via WiFi every time I start the car. No navigation. When you ask do I have ATT WiFi, I'm not sure what you mean. The Starlink services use ATT cellular services correct? I did not opt for the ATT WiFi hotspot in the car, but I did set it up so the car connects to my home wifi router every time I pull into the garage, with it consistently telling me it's up to date.
Ok, so, the similarities are:
  • We both updated.
  • We both connected to our home wifi to check for maps updates/updates (I didn't think about that factor, thanks)

The differences are:
  • I have AT&T hotspot enabled (and my phone connects to it as soon as the car starts)
  • I have navigation

Another question:
  • Do you have your car connecting via bluetooth (or just Android Auto)?

I can't turn off navigation, but I could turn off the hotspot and see if that changes things. If I get a chance to drive around and play with the car a bit next week, I will do so (I am currently doing a gas mileage test, so, I don't want to skew the numbers by idling or starting and shutting off the car a bunch of times).

And, thanks! Maybe we can figure out what the inconsistency is...

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.