Subaru Ascent Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just this past week my stock radio has started changing stations on it's own. More accurately it moving from stored memory to stored memory location. It won't jump just one location but a couple, so from memory location 10 to 13. I touch memory 10 and a couple minutes later it jumps to a different memory location.

Anyone else?

·
Administrator
10,947 Posts
Maybe it's the music you listen to?

Just this past week my stock radio has started changing stations on it's own. More accurately it moving from stored memory to stored memory location. It won't jump just one location but a couple, so from memory location 10 to 13. I touch memory 10 and a couple minutes later it jumps to a different memory location.

Anyone else?
Perhaps it doesn't like the music you listen to? :grin: :smile_big:

If that's not the case, and you happen to have been listening to good music, I'd try cleaning the screen and making sure there's nothing stuck in the steering wheel buttons.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
:) Good one!

Happened again yesterday. I was listening to Boston so I doubt it's the music selection! This time it was flipping across at least 5 different channels a few diff times until it finally stopped on a channel I've never listened to. The touch screen is clean, the steering wheel buttons are clean. I hand both hands on the wheel. Very strange, and just as strange that it stopped on it's own.

·
Administrator
10,947 Posts

Happened again yesterday. I was listening to Boston so I doubt it's the music selection! This time it was flipping across at least 5 different channels a few diff times until it finally stopped on a channel I've never listened to. The touch screen is clean, the steering wheel buttons are clean. I hand both hands on the wheel. Very strange, and just as strange that it stopped on it's own.
Very odd. And, yes, can't argue about the music selection. That's definitely not it. So, what about the scan button? Perhaps there's a defect in one of the buttons and it thinks it's being pressed? Does it happen any specific time or after hitting a pothole or bump in the road?

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I have my cell (that is bluetooth connected to the radio) plugged into a cigarette lighter PD Power specific charger. I then place the phone in the cavity beneath the HVAC controls. I swear as I slid the phone into that cavity the radio started switching stations. Thought I was able to reproduce it alas is only happened one more time. I do not have any Android Auto functionality running, and doesn't matter as it was connected to the cigarette lighter charger.

I was running down the highway as smooth as a baby's, well, you get it. I gently swiped my fingers across all buttons and could not reproduce the issue.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Happened almost every time I drove it this weekend. Two hands on the wheel and suddenly the lyrics are not as I' singing them. Maybe the radio doesn't like my singing but changing stations is a little unfair to my melodious voice!

Calling Subaru tomorrow and I'm sure they'll tell me to go to the dealer, which is a bit of a pain. I can't imagine I'm the only one this is happening to.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Tired of sudden switching to disco I decided to factory reset the radio. Three days and no disco!

This is the 3rd time I've had to reset the radio. I hope this doesn't become a regular requirement.

·
Administrator
10,947 Posts
Tired of sudden switching to disco I decided to factory reset the radio. Three days and no disco!

This is the 3rd time I've had to reset the radio. I hope this doesn't become a regular requirement.
Disco?!?! Wow, I'd have sold the car, lol!

Heck, even when it was popular, I was listening to metal the likes of Iron Maiden.

·
Registered
2019 Ascent Premium
366 Posts
Happened almost every time I drove it this weekend. Two hands on the wheel and suddenly the lyrics are not as I' singing them. Maybe the radio doesn't like my singing but changing stations is a little unfair to my melodious voice!

Calling Subaru tomorrow and I'm sure they'll tell me to go to the dealer, which is a bit of a pain. I can't imagine I'm the only one this is happening to.
I had a similar issue, than I realized I was inadvertently touching the source and/or channel selection button on the left side of the steering wheel (generally the latter).

·
Registered
3,710 Posts

Anyone else?

Does it play Tubular Bells over and over no matter what station it lands on?

·
Registered
418 Posts

Completely off-topic digression, but I saw Boston in concert not too awful long ago, and they still put on one of the most epic, jam-session concerts ever. Tom Scholtz is still absolutely amazing, maybe even more amazing. Combined with Joan Jett opening for 'em, it was a fantastic show. I give 'em five rockons!

:rockon::rockon::rockon::rockon::rockon:

·
Registered
3,710 Posts
seasone citizen

Disco? Tubular Bells? Wow! Happy to know that I'm not the only "seasoned citizen" who likes the Ascent. As you may have gathered from my moniker, I was a DJ back in the day. Way back in the day!

I am waiting and waiting and waiting for Subaru to announce a "seasoned citizen" discount.

·
Registered
418 Posts
Does it matter what spices a citizen is seasoned with? I'm a bit of onion powder, some cayenne, and a whole lot of salt and pepper. Nothing fancy like sage, rosemary, or thyme though.

·
Registered
914 Posts
If you set it to play a CD (I know right?) or music from a USB stick or the phone, see if it skips tracks like it skips stations.

If so, you are either hitting the < > buttons on the steering wheel accidentally or there is a bad contact in the button making it think you are hitting them.

Reactions: Robert.Mauro
1 - 20 of 21 Posts