Subaru Ascent Forum banner
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
2019 Ascent Limited
801 Posts
The radio in my Ascent turns on every time I start the engine. Is there a way to stop this "feature"?

Nope. We all have this feature. You can turn your radio volume to zero before you exit the car or tune to sxm channel 1 which has no sound. Or I guess smash the head unit with a hammer.

·
Registered
113 Posts
The radio in my Ascent turns on every time I start the engine. Is there a way to stop this "feature"?
Press and hold (for like three seconds) the round volume knob to turn the audio system off before you turn off the engine. This always works for me, but seems to not work for everyone.

·
Registered
2019 Ascent Premium
366 Posts
This "feature" has been normal in every car I've owned for many years, across all brands and models that I've owned. If the radio was turned on when the car is shut down, it comes back on when it's restarted. Personally, if I left the radio on when the car is turned off, I'd want it to turn back on when I started it again. As a previous poster has stated, if you turn the radio off before you turn off the car, it should still be off when you restart the car, though you have to make sure you are actually turning the radio off by depressing the volume control knob for several seconds and not just muting it by one quick press, in which case it's not truly off and will come back on when you restart the car.

·
Registered
59 Posts
I hardly ever listen to the radio, but I want the maps so I use CarPlay. And when I disconnect my phone the music starts. Horrible programming.

Reactions: Grey772001

·
Registered
1,022 Posts
I hardly ever listen to the radio, but I want the maps so I use CarPlay. And when I disconnect my phone the music starts. Horrible programming.
I also barely ever use the radio and use the trick of setting SXM to channel 0. That way when you turn the car off the radio turns on, but there's no audio. Of course that means that when you do listen to the radio, you have to remember to set it back to SXM ch. 0 when you're through. I have let my SXM trial expire because it has terrible audio quality and I subscribe to another music service (Amazon Music Unlimited). Between that and Podcasts in CarPlay, I'm set. I even get my local AM sports station via CarPlay (TuneIn app), so the radio really never gets used.

I haven't read anything about the specifics of the software update - it may fix this issue all together. I'll know in about a month when I take my car in for its 6k.

·
Registered
98 Posts
As I understand it, the radio is ALWAYS ON. Then you think you are turning it off, you are only muting it. Turning down the volume usually works in keeping it quiet when you turn the car back on.

·
Registered
2019 Ascent Premium
366 Posts
Page 20 in the Starlink Multimedia Owner’s Manual, lower left of the page, clearly states what happens when you press the volume button. Press to mute, press and hold to turn the audio system off. Press and hold for ten seconds or longer to reset the system if the touch screen becomes unresponsive during operation. When the audio system is turned off it will not turn back on when you restart the car. Some people are confusing the mute function with turning it off, which requires pressing the volume knob for around three or four seconds.

·
Registered
567 Posts
Page 20 in the Starlink Multimedia Owner’s Manual, lower left of the page, clearly states what happens when you press the volume button. Press to mute, press and hold to turn the audio system off. Press and hold for ten seconds or longer to reset the system if the touch screen becomes unresponsive during operation. When the audio system is turned off it will not turn back on when you restart the car. Some people are confusing the mute function with turning it off, which requires pressing the volume knob for around three or four seconds.

Yes, do exactly like he said - Press and HOLD the volume button for a few seconds. The screen will actually turn off - go dark. It will stay that way until you turn it on again!

·
Registered
59 Posts
I called Subaru to complain about this and it's a major complaint across all vehicles since 2018. They plan an update. I told them I am ready to add a kill switch to the speakers.

·
Registered
567 Posts
I find it hard to believe that is what SOA Support said. It is NOT a "known issue" because there is no "issue". Presets dropping is a "known issue". As stated above many times, either read the manual or follow what was posted. Pressing the volume button ONCE only mutes it and will start up the next time you start the vehicle. Press volume button for about 3 seconds and you have turned the volume OFF (vs muting it) or if you press and hold the button for close to 10 seconds you will REBOOT the system.

·
Registered
561 Posts
I find it hard to believe that is what SOA Support said. It is NOT a "known issue" because there is no "issue". Presets dropping is a "known issue". As stated above many times, either read the manual or follow what was posted. Pressing the volume button ONCE only mutes it and will start up the next time you start the vehicle. Press volume button for about 3 seconds and you have turned the volume OFF (vs muting it) or if you press and hold the button for close to 10 seconds you will REBOOT the system.
Holding for 3 sec does not work for mine. Stills turns on at each startup. Super annoying
Dealer said there is nothing that can be done until a software update is made or i might need a new amp??

·
Registered
40 Posts
It is an "issue" because holding for 3 seconds turns off EVERYTHING. Tell me any other vehicle that that you can't use built in navigation with the radio off? Exactly.

It's working as designed, it's just an extremely crappy design and should be fixed. Never mind the fact that if you're on any other audio source turning off the vehicle switches it back to the radio. Poor poor design period.

·
Administrator
10,968 Posts
It is an "issue" because holding for 3 seconds turns off EVERYTHING. Tell me any other vehicle that that you can't use built in navigation with the radio off? Exactly.

It's working as designed, it's just an extremely crappy design and should be fixed. Never mind the fact that if you're on any other audio source turning off the vehicle switches it back to the radio. Poor poor design period.
This isn't a comment for or against the behavior, but there is only one input available when the infotainment system is booting, and that's the radio. Alas, that's the behavior on a subset of every type of device (eg: TVs)... search for an available input. Other behavior I've seen is to for the device to "turn off".

It's interesting that after all of these years, there's still no standard or changeable behavior across a bunch of different devices. Heck, CD player decks often acted one of those ways... play CD or do nothing at all (be off). Cassette decks were similar... most of them needed to be turned off, or the tape would start playing as soon as the car was started. Eventually, fully electronic ones came out where things were different.

It will be interesting to see what the solution to this is that makes everyone happy.

·
Registered
40 Posts
This isn't a comment for or against the behavior, but there is only one input available when the infotainment system is booting, and that's the radio. Alas, that's the behavior on a subset of every type of device (eg: TVs)... search for an available input. Other behavior I've seen is to for the device to "turn off".

It's interesting that after all of these years, there's still no standard or changeable behavior across a bunch of different devices. Heck, CD player decks often acted one of those ways... play CD or do nothing at all (be off). Cassette decks were similar... most of them needed to be turned off, or the tape would start playing as soon as the car was started. Eventually, fully electronic ones came out where things were different.

It will be interesting to see what the solution to this is that makes everyone happy.
That's not the behavior on my 2013 F150. I have had my iPod plugged into it for 6 years and if it's the last input I had it on, when I start the truck guess what plays when I turn on "the radio" and right from where I left off? It has never once switched inputs to anything other than what I had last selected, be it a USB device, Sirius XM, or Bluetooth. Ford apparently figured out how annoying that would be at least 6 years ago so I'm hopeful Subaru can resolve it in an update.

It's my wife's car, but if I had to drive it every day I'd probably be on the phone with Subaru support once a week complaining about it. :dunno:

·
Administrator
10,968 Posts
That's not the behavior on my 2013 F150. I have had my iPod plugged into it for 6 years and if it's the last input I had it on, when I start the truck guess what plays when I turn on "the radio" and right from where I left off? It has never once switched inputs to anything other than what I had last selected, be it a USB device, Sirius XM, or Bluetooth. Ford apparently figured out how annoying that would be at least 6 years ago so I'm hopeful Subaru can resolve it in an update.

It's my wife's car, but if I had to drive it every day I'd probably be on the phone with Subaru support once a week complaining about it. :dunno:
Yes, a third behavior (I mentioned two of a number) would be to maintain whatever the last input was, regardless of anything else. There's more than just the two I mentioned and the one you mentioned. But, that was my point. No one seems to be able to decide, and very few have (any?) come up with a programmatic way where an end user can choose behavior. :plain:

·
Registered
146 Posts
In my opinion what's needed is a couple of menu options:

AUDIO MUTE AT STARTUP (ON/OFF) - Mute the audio system when the vehicle is started.

AUDIO INPUT AT STARTUP (Radio, Bluetooth, USB Media, CD, Last Input) -- Switch to this input at startup or continue with last input when vehicle shut off

I could maybe see the first option being "AUDIO VOLUME AT STARTUP", for those that want audio output but at a fixed volume. Since mute is just volume of 0, this might be a better menu option than just mute/no mute.

What's funny is the abrupt switch to radio when disconnecting from CarPlay actually violates one of Apple's design guidelines for CarPlay, which state that disabling CarPlay should not suddenly switch to some other audio input unexpectedly.

·
Registered
6 Posts
It is a bit annoying that the radio volume turns back on, even though I understand why. In our previous car, the navigation and stereo were separate, so you could have navigation screen on and radio always off. I don't find the solution of actually turning off the radio acceptable, because I like having my phone connected via CarPlay and display text messages, etc as we as using Google Play and Apple maps.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts