Subaru Ascent Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Greetings & first forum post. I just brought home a 2020 Limited and had hoped for a simple block heater plug install like my '02 OB wagon. Alas, a major dealer install unavailable at the factory... Prefer to leave the turbo/exhaust system alone so considering lower radiator hose heater install as these have worked quite well on other vehicles for me. Thoughts, recommendations, suggestions? Thanks.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yes, especially compared to the forethought that engineered a simple plug removed to install a true block heater on my '02 OB. Crazy when Subaru has built a strong following in cold winter weather environments. I've had great experience with lower rad hose heaters so long as the hose angles up into the block... Planning at this point to go with that unless I hear information to the contrary.

·
Registered
2019 Ascent Limited
35 Posts
Yes, especially compared to the forethought that engineered a simple plug removed to install a true block heater on my '02 OB. Crazy when Subaru has built a strong following in cold winter weather environments. I've had great experience with lower rad hose heaters so long as the hose angles up into the block... Planning at this point to go with that unless I hear information to the contrary.
I`am wondering how your rad hose heater worked out for you. Have a 2019 CND issue without a block heater, and we are having a lonngg cold snap. The Ascent block heater install is labour time heavy for sure, and the heater is also pricey.
Thanx

·
Registered
2019 Ascent Limited
35 Posts
After looking at the directions to install the block heater I have concluded that it would be easier to construct a heated garage…

from trees that I have felled with a picket knife.
Having cold snap, which looks like it`s going to last few more week, had more snow I build an ice hotel for the Ascent.
Tried to start yesterday, would not turn over, battery issue, today will try boosting from Chevy pick-up, if that works, then it`s battery time, if not, then why have something that does start in winter time?
Would like to know if others had any good results with a rad hose heater, before going through that, only to find it a waste of time/money.

·
Registered
2019 Ascent Limited
35 Posts
Having cold snap, which looks like it`s going to last few more week, had more snow I build an ice hotel for the Ascent.
Tried to start yesterday, would not turn over, battery issue, today will try boosting from Chevy pick-up, if that works, then it`s battery time, if not, then why have something that does start in winter time?
Would like to know if others had any good results with a rad hose heater, before going through that, only to find it a waste of time/money.
Boost worked, battery ordered, to bad Subaru batteries aren`t like others, had a Pathfinder with a 10yr old battery, a friend had a Ford ranger with a 12yr another got 13 out of a VW battery. My 2019 was built almost 3 yrs ago, door plate says Jan 2019, or maybe the 3 yr warranty is spot on.
The Ascent did flash right away at -18.c,( 0.f ) guess the 0W20 oil does help out in the cold.

·
Registered
2021 Ascent Premium w/ package 12
8 Posts
Has anyone followed through and installed a lower radiator hose heater?
Can you suggest the part(s) numbers?
Would you document the installation?

It looks that to do the block heater is crazy complicated & to have a dealership do it would be insanely costly.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.