Subaru Ascent Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
561 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was dinking in the car the other morning and had the key on, 2 pushes of the start button without the brake applied, motor off, not started. I observed something; this was in the morning and fairly cold out; around 50 degrees. The radiator fans, both of them kicked on then off, then on again over and over. I'd say they were on at least 3X as long as the off cycle; maybe 30 seconds on, 10 seconds off, repeat. Has anyone else observed this and more important, is it supposed to do this? It was as if the motor was still warm after a drive and had not cooled the block enough to open a thermstat or something.

·
Registered
2019 Ascent Limited
810 Posts
I've spent a lot of time dinking with my Accent On but not running and I've never noticed the fans running.

Also: Fairly cold 50 degrees -Lol ?

·
Super Moderator
2019 Ascent Touring (CWP)
4,165 Posts
When you push the start button twice, I believe that puts you in run mode and yes, the fans will "run"...but because there's no source for heat or cooling with the engine not running, it might be a bit wonky. You only need to be in "run" mode if you're doing something that isn't available in just Accessory mode. (one push)

Reactions: Robert.Mauro

·
Registered
1,179 Posts
I haven't tried mine but I can think of no reason why the fans should come on with a cold engine, aircon not running (since the compressor isn't turning) and cold transmission cooler. I wouldn't be surprised if they come on for a short time as part of an initialization/test but not continue to cycle with everything being cold.

·
Registered
561 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The come on and they are LOUD! Wife came out, asked why I had the engine running loud. Ha! Me too; I can be inside the car, press the start button twice and it sounds like the engine started. Checked the tach and it's at zero so I popped the hood and it's just both fans spinning, stopping, then spinning again. Left it that way for quite some time and it continued. Cycled the start button back to off and tried again, same thing. Next day before taking off I tried it and same thing again; fans run if start button pushed twice without foot on the brake.

·
Registered
2019 Ascent Limited
810 Posts
Ok I just checked again after reading Jim's post and my cooling fans do run with the ignition On - IF the HVAC is also on, turn off the HVAC and the fans stop. I usually turn off the HVAC if I'm fooling around in the Ascent for a while, also my fans are quiet, had to get out to hear them.

Reactions: Robert.Mauro

·
Registered
561 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Ok I just checked again after reading Jim's post and my cooling fans do run with the ignition On - IF the HVAC is also on, turn off the HVAC and the fans stop. I usually turn off the HVAC if I'm fooling around in the Ascent for a while, also my fans are quiet, had to get out to hear them.
OH! Thanks! Yes, AC on and the fans turn.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.