Subaru Ascent Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Had my local mechanic install the OEM hitch (thanks for the advice Robert Mauro) this weekend and now the RAB indicator is lit up on the dash. When I first start the car, the "RAB Disabled" warning is also lit up initially. Tried to turn it back on while in reverse, but the RAB Off/On button is grayed out.

Looked up the owner's manual and it notes that you can get this notification when "The rear bumper has been removed and reattached". Wondering if anyone else has had this issue? Will it reset itself after a few drives? Or do I need to bring it back because they forgot to reattach the sensor.

FYI - used my local mechanic as the deal is a bit of a drive and he generally does excellent work. Thanks all.

·
Super Moderator
2,708 Posts
Yep. I have verified this possibility. I forgot to reconnect the rab sensor when I reinstalled the bumper after doing my hitch install. It just shows disabled until it’s reconnected.
I’d have to go back thru the install instructions and check the vehicle itself to remember which side everything is on and if it’s reachable. There’s a thread about the hitch install if you google that and the instructions are in a .pdf file which show the sensor location. (Or have the shop fix it if you have time)

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yep. I have verified this possibility. I forgot to reconnect the rab sensor when I reinstalled the bumper after doing my hitch install. It just shows disabled until it’s reconnected.
I’d have to go back thru the install instructions and check the vehicle itself to remember which side everything is on and if it’s reachable. There’s a thread about the hitch install if you google that and the instructions are in a .pdf file which show the sensor location. (Or have the shop fix it if you have time)
A quick look at the instructions and it appears as if it is reachable. I'll have to check this evening. Thanks.

·
Administrator
11,404 Posts
Yep. The RAB harness and a few other things need to be disconnected for the hitch install. You can follow the relevant portion of the instructions to see where it's located so you can plug things back in. I'd also email the service center's service manager and let him know.

Here's the instructions. The part you're likely interested in is on page 6 (shows where it's located, and how it's mounted and disconnected).

·
Registered
1 Posts
Just as an update, the harness was not plugged in. Took all of a minute to reach up behind the bumper and reattach. Thanks all.
Thanks to all for this thread and advice. My issue was the same despite the dealership's insistence my back up sensors needed to be cleaned with a soft cloth. Saved a ton of time and money thanks to this forum!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts