Subaru Ascent Forum banner

RAB issue!

13K views 7 replies 6 participants last post by  Robert.Mauro 
#1 ·
So I just got my brand new 2020 subaru Ascent. I have had it for about 2 months no issues till now. So I just backed out from an empty parking lot no cars around at 711 and my RAB sensor went off beeped yellow on the screen and breaked it self. It did that three times and even at a stop light with no cars around. Why did it just start to do this it has never done it no accident nothing just decided to start breaking it self in reverse. Anybody experience this before? Might have to take it in to the dealer because its weird. I understand a steep driveway will cause this but I haven't been to any all regular places I have reversed at in the past. BTW new here hello.!! Lol

#2 · (Edited)
Welcome to the neighborhood. Sometimes the RAB will go off if it senses an irregularity in the pavement. I have a mixture of dirt/grass and concrete wheel rows for my driveway and it sometimes senses the dirt irregularities. The pavement at the 711 may have had a small heave at one location that you were backing up over. If you go slow enough it will not break itself.

the stop light scenario is stumping me since it is unlikely the pavement was irregular. It might be that the sensors were not properly angled or maybe it got pushed in too far during the install. It operates on sonar. Call the dealer to discuss it.

rab video tutorial

#4 ·
RAB displays zones on the reverse camera but doesn’t operate based on the camera view; it uses the sensors in the rear bumper.
sounds like something the dealer may have to look at unless you want to remove your rear bumper cover and check the sensors for any blatant misalignment. I had a sensor bent slightly downward a while back by someone who brushed my rear bumper. I got the RAB disabled warning in my case.

#5 ·
Haven't had any spurious RAB activations. With a bike rack on, I get a backup warning beep but RAB doesn't activate. I turn the beep off in the RAB menu but leave RAB activated.

Your issue occurring backing out at 7-11 reminds me of an incident many years ago (way before back-up cameras or RAB) when I started to back out of a 7-11 parking spot in the middle of the day in Reno NV, heard a commotion, stopped, opened my door to look back and saw I was stopped with my rear wheel on top of the ankle of a drunk who had fallen down behind my car. Cops and three fire trucks showed up. I was not cited, sued or my insurance hit for payment. I thought about suing him for emotional distress, but that's not how I roll. I roll over ankles.

#6 ·
Haven't had any spurious RAB activations. With a bike rack on, I get a backup warning beep but RAB doesn't activate. I turn the beep off in the RAB menu but leave RAB activated.

Your issue occurring backing out at 7-11 reminds me of an incident many years ago (way before back-up cameras or RAB) when I started to back out of a 7-11 parking spot in the middle of the day in Reno NV, heard a commotion, stopped, opened my door to look back and saw I was stopped with my rear wheel on top of the ankle of a drunk who had fallen down behind my car. Cops and three fire trucks showed up. I was not cited, sued or my insurance hit for payment. I thought about suing him for emotional distress, but that's not how I roll. I roll over ankles.
Lmao on the last sentence. But that's crazy lol.

#8 ·
When that's happened to me, I've cleaned the four sensors, and had no problems. If that doesn't fix it, I'd have it checked out.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.