Subaru Ascent Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
646 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When hiking this afternoon with my wife . Came back when to back out and thought it was clear but someone must of flew into the parking lot to grab a spot I was about 5 feet into backing up and the alarm sounded and the car came to an abrupt halt. It saved me a lot money and grief and worked perfect. I was going 5mph or less

·
Registered
107 Posts
When hiking this afternoon with my wife . Came back when to back out and thought it was clear but someone must of flew into the parking lot to grab a spot I was about 5 feet into backing up and the alarm sounded and the car came to an abrupt halt. It saved me a lot money and grief and worked perfect. I was going 5mph or less
Your telling me. Saved me a couple of times in parking lot-great feature !!!!

·
Registered
559 Posts
RAB and Rear Cross Traffic Alert are two of the big reasons we got another Subaru. You never know when people try to quickly sneak behind your vehicle as you try to back up.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Same. RAB saved my car from extensive damage at one point while I was backing into a parking space and wasn't paying attention to the wall I was backing into. Lol.

Car just abruptly just stopped. I went out and look and it's a bit conservative because I still had a lot of space between the car and the wall, but better early than late.

·
Registered
11 Posts
That's one of the many reasons I bought the Ascent, the safety features. Being a mom, I need a safe car for my kids. I backed out the other day and hear the sensor going off but didn't see anything however I stopped and just then a car went by. The rear sensor sensed cars I didn't even see or not in even the backup camera.

·
Registered
17 Posts
RAB scared the **** out of us

Car just abruptly just stopped. I went out and look and it's a bit conservative because I still had a lot of space between the car and the wall, but better early than late.
I was parking on the street and apparently backed up too quickly for the Ascent and it slammed on the breaks. I thought I hit a pole or something. I jumped out and I had a solid 5 feet at least between us and the car behind us.

As for the safety features, most cars I have had over the last few years (at least 2015) have had some sort of rear warning, this is the first with the automatic breaking though, taking me a while to get used to. Personally I would trade that for surround view cameras.

·
Registered
646 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I was parking on the street and apparently backed up too quickly for the Ascent and it slammed on the breaks. I thought I hit a pole or something. I jumped out and I had a solid 5 feet at least between us and the car behind us.

As for the safety features, most cars I have had over the last few years (at least 2015) have had some sort of rear warning, this is the first with the automatic breaking though, taking me a while to get used to. Personally I would trade that for surround view cameras.
Cameras are only good if you look at them. Personally I like the RAB function better

·
Registered
97 Posts

Haha! Yeah, there was a good amount of distance between my car and the wall in the parking spot I was backing into it. I wasn't paying attention for some reason and like you, I thought I hit something but it was the abrupt braking, even when my foot was still on the gas pedal. People around were looking to, thinking I had hit something. Phew, good thing I didn't. Thanks RAB. :grin:

I would have loved a 360 birds eye view, too, as an extra option but still keep RAB since it works when you're not paying attention or accidentally back up too quickly.

·
Registered
561 Posts
Great feature.....a wife button would be handy at times.

Reactions: TSiWRX
1 - 12 of 12 Posts