Subaru Ascent Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
book says when ignition switch is on.......
RAB warning indicator is OFF
HALT(RAB OFF) indicator is off
The Reverse Automatic Braking system is on

LINE 1 above. and Line 4 seem to contradict each other

can you help please?

·
Registered
2019 Ascent Limited
814 Posts
book says when ignition switch is on.......
RAB warning indicator is OFF
HALT(RAB OFF) indicator is off
The Reverse Automatic Braking system is on

LINE 1 above. and Line 4 seem to contradict each other

can you help please?
It's saying the ignition has to be on (obviously), there are no warning lights and RAB is enabled (it can be temporarily disabled).

Line 4 should say enabled not on for less confusion.

Hope this helps.

Reactions: Robert.Mauro

·
Registered
210 Posts
Quite and old thread (~2 years) but trying to add some info here for RAB being off when it shouldn't be:

1. We live with an alley behind us and park the car under our kitchen deck and back out to the alley
2. When we back out, the neighbors opposite us on the alley have overgrown greenery that makes RAB freak out as RAB's depth perception is shall we say, weak sauce.
3. When this happens RAB OFF is shown as we drive away, and it will stay off until we do another reverse "cleanly", e.g., reversing out of a parking spot at the grocery store.

The main points is RAB is engaged when reversing (it plays no point in normal driving), so there's apparently a logic switch that takes one bad RAB experience (e.g., our alley's overgrowth) and until it gets a good RAB experience it stays "OFF".

·
Registered
2020 Ascent Touring
1,195 Posts
@misikoff not so sure what you experience is consistent. When I back up with boat attached, rab slams on the brakes. I give some gas to override and rab gives up and turns off the display. There was no "good" rab experience logged before disabling rab and the display. If I continue backing whether I use the brakes again or not, the RAB stays off. If I pull forward and then start backing again, the RAB cycle starts over again. Happy no one was watching to see the unnecessary emergency stops.

When I back out of my garage in the morning, when the sun is at the right angle, a reflection registers as an obstacle. If I'm backing slowly with my foot covering the brake, RAB won't activate. If I'm backing without my foot covering the brake, the same phantom obstacle does activate the brakes. Again, a quick override with the gas and the RAB disables and nothing on the display.

·
Super Moderator
2019 Ascent Touring (CWP)
4,214 Posts
@misikoff not so sure what you experience is consistent. When I back up with boat attached, rab slams on the brakes. I give some gas to override and rab gives up and turns off the display. There was no "good" rab experience logged before disabling rab and the display. If I continue backing whether I use the brakes again or not, the RAB stays off. If I pull forward and then start backing again, the RAB cycle starts over again.
This has been my experience with my trailer, too.

·
Registered
210 Posts
Right, no trailer for me but the gist is if RAB is active and warns of immenent collision (but it's a false reading) it may just go OFF if you keep going. My experience is consistent in this case, that it stays OFF while driving until another RAB session that is good.

I have had a 4-bike carrier attached and RAB was OFF the entire way because it "knew" it's vision was ocluded.

·
Registered
1,040 Posts
I've only experienced the RAB kicking in once, and it was earlier this week when my recycling bin was a bit too close to the driveway as I was backin in. It wasn't the same sensation as if I had slammed the brakes on myself. It felt coarse and grinding. Whatever it was it felt nasty, but it worked. Is that normal? ABS pulsing?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts