Subaru Ascent Forum banner

21 - 40 of 64 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Use the steering wheel controls while in park... Easy to turn it off... Drove me nuts at first too, but it's easy to turn off.

·
Registered
256 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
Use the steering wheel controls while in park... Easy to turn it off... Drove me nuts at first too, but it's easy to turn off.
I just went out and checked all the buttons on the steering wheel. I can't find one that turns off the RAB. Could you please be a bit more specific.

·
Registered
12 Posts
In park with vehicle on use your bottom left steering wheel menu to go to your "I/set" menu by scrolling with up/down, then hold the middle button to enter the I/set menu, then scroll to page 4/8, the RAB menu, pull middle button again, just a click, then turn the sonar audible alarm off... It will disable the RAB system and allow you to back up without the noise or the damn abs kicking in... Backing up with my camper it did what you described, after going thru the menu I didn't have an issue,hope this helps.

·
Registered
1,735 Posts
When you turn it off that way does it stay off until you turn it back on, even when the car is turned off and on?

·
Registered
53 Posts
RAB activates with my trailer plugged into the 7 pin connector, when backing up. It's a dump trailer with a battery & hydraulic box on the tongue, probably like a camp trailer with 2 propane bottles. PITA (that's not bread).

I really dislike "automatic" stuff, that works properly less than 99.99% of the time. Just as it trains you to be a little lazy, BOOM - wake up. Instead of disabling it all the time, maybe I can pull the fuses that keep turning it back on.

(same with eyesight, works great, unless the sun is out, or bugs on the windshield, or rain, or headlights or ....)
(Same with ACC, fine going straight ahead, but looses track of vehicles on curves)

I get decent mileage, handling is good, performance great, but the bells and whistles, aren't ready for prime time. An automatic system that isn't, really isn't automatic.

·
Registered
1,100 Posts
I feel Subaru should include a "towing mode" which, with one setting, will deactivate RAB, RAB Alarm, Rear Cross Traffic Alert, and any other feature which towing might incorrectly activate.

This setting should, at the very least, remain active for the entire time the car is running.

Having to perform all of these settings (RAB, RAB Alarm, RCTA, etc.) manually each time, sometimes multiple times, every time we tow is ridiculous for a vehicle designed for towing, especially since many require long presses (up to four seconds each) to activate.

This really needs to be addressed and fixed.

·
Registered
1,735 Posts
@pro10is to some degree they do have the function. Haven’t fully tested it to find the exact conditions, but with a brake controller installed and something in view on the rear view camera, RAB automatically turns off.

·
Registered
53 Posts
@pro10is to some degree they do have the function. Haven’t fully tested it to find the exact conditions, but with a brake controller installed and something in view on the rear view camera, RAB automatically turns off.
my trailer brakes don't seem to affect the RAB a bit. I can use the manual lever and see the Ascent brake lights come on, so I know it connected. The rear cam - all it can see is the trailer tongue.

·
Registered
1,735 Posts
my trailer brakes don't seem to affect the RAB a bit.
That’s why I haven’t figured out what it is that’s automatically turning it off. Right now it consistently turns off automatically when I put it in reverse with my bike rack and brake controller installed. Obviously the brake controller isn’t active at the time but RAB turns off as soon as I put it in reverse under those conditions. I have had RAB actuate while backing a trailer in the past though... seems random but not really... I dunno ?‍♂

·
Registered
1,100 Posts
That’s why I haven’t figured out what it is that’s automatically turning it off. Right now it consistently turns off automatically when I put it in reverse with my bike rack and brake controller installed. Obviously the brake controller isn’t active at the time but RAB turns off as soon as I put it in reverse under those conditions. I have had RAB actuate while backing a trailer in the past though... seems random but not really... I dunno ?‍♂
I don't yet have a brake controller, but I do tow a boat and I have a bike rack. My RAB and RAB Alarm cannot handle either.

Each and every time, I must manually turn them both off when I go into reverse. This requires pressing both on-screen buttons before I begin to back up. This is not just a screen tap, both require at least a four-second push each which seems like an eternity when you're waiting to back up. Often, this must be repeated when I need to go into forward and then back into reverse several times, which is common when maneuvering a trailer in tight areas. That is just crazy and a poor implementation of a control.

This is very bad at crowded boat ramps where quickness and efficiency are critical, and very annoying anytime I back up with either the trailer or the bike rack. If I don't turn them off, I risk activating the RAB which is startling and unwanted, or I have to listen to the RAB alarm blaring in my ears the whole time I'm trying to concentrate on backing up the trailer. This is highly distracting in an already stressful situation such as at crowded boat ramps and campgrounds.

This needs more than a workaround, it needs to be addressed and fixed. Keep in mind that the Ascent was supposed to be a vehicle well designed for towing purposes.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Might be a work-a-round. Using the switch at drivers left knee to shut off the RAB. Seems to stay off until manually turned back on. The traction control comes back on after a power cycle, but the RAB stays off

·
Registered
331 Posts
Mine has shut itself off before, but the parking sensors do not. Their is definitely something triggering it off, but idk what.

·
Registered
89 Posts

Still in break-in period on our 2020 Subaru Ascent Limited, so I haven't tried towing our personal watercraft trailer, so I haven't tested this myself.

But it seems like turning BSD/RCTA off should help with the RAB? Can anyone with trailers or racks, confirm or deny?

·
Super Moderator
7,403 Posts
View attachment 1436
View attachment 1437
Still in break-in period on our 2020 Subaru Ascent Limited, so I haven't tried towing our personal watercraft trailer, so I haven't tested this myself.

But it seems like turning BSD/RCTA off should help with the RAB? Can anyone with trailers or racks, confirm or deny?
Two separate functions. Not turning off BSD is just annoying.

·
Registered
53 Posts

Yes. I have confirmed that the switch remembers it's last known setting, it does not try to come back on automatically. With the sensors off, RAB should not activate, IMHO. I've not had the trailer on since confirming the switch action.

·
Registered
256 Posts
Discussion Starter #37
Yesterday, when I had the BSD/RCTA off, I started backing the travel trailer into the driveway after our most recent trip. Bam, I came to abrupt stop. The RAB kicked in. I went to turn the RAB off on the screen and it was off. What the? It stayed off the whole time I backed up and pulled forward to adjust my placement in the driveway. I never turned the engine off, but I did switch between forward and reverse many times and the RAB stayed off the whole time after the initial stop.
I just don't get it!?!?

SUBARU, I WANT A PHYSICAL SWITCH TO TURN THE RAB ON AND OFF. ARE YOU LISTENING!

·
Registered
1,100 Posts
Yesterday, when I had the BSD/RCTA off, I started backing the travel trailer into the driveway after our most recent trip. Bam, I came to abrupt stop. The RAB kicked in. I went to turn the RAB off on the screen and it was off. What the? It stayed off the whole time I backed up and pulled forward to adjust my placement in the driveway. I never turned the engine off, but I did switch between forward and reverse many times and the RAB stayed off the whole time after the initial stop.
I just don't get it!?!?

This has happened to me too. I can't figure out how the crazy thing works. It has a mind of its own. Sometimes the RAB will stay off after pressing all the buttons, other times it won't. After an entire season of towing my boat and my bike, I still haven't seen any steady pattern.

SUBARU, I WANT AN EASY, QUICK, RELIABLE WAY TO TURN THE RAB ON AND OFF. ARE YOU LISTENING!

·
Super Moderator
7,403 Posts
I just don't get it!?!?

RAB is done using the sonar sensors, while BSD/RCTA is done using the radar sensors. Different systems. ;)

And yes, one physical button would be nice. As would a car wash button. SOMEONE (I won't mention my name....errr, his name), after actually making everyone else a video, forgot to turn off pre-collision braking and went through a car wash. PCB wasn't happy with the dryer blowers. Not at all. It wasn't until the last second that the computer figured out to not do anything. I got lucky. I mean, that guy (who coincidentally looks just like me) got lucky.

·
Registered
256 Posts
Discussion Starter #40
RAB is done using the sonar sensors, while BSD/RCTA is done using the radar sensors. Different systems. ;)
Thanks, I was pretty sure of that, but I still don't understand why the one abrupt stop backing up and then it never happened again, nor do I understand how the RAB got turned off. I did not do it, but it was off when I went to shut it off, yet the RAB must have been active to stop me so abruptly that one time.

21 - 40 of 64 Posts