Subaru Ascent Forum banner

1 - 20 of 64 Posts

·
Registered
257 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I put this in the towing section because this happens all the time when I am backing up with the trailer, as I have to back it up a steep incline in my driveway.

I want to know some way of shutting off the RAB (rear automatic braking) that doesn't use the touch screen. I can hold my finger on the bottom left section of the screen where the RAB "button" is located until the cows come home and it will not shut off most of the time. Also, every time I go forward, if I get lucky enough to get the RAB shut off, which is seldom, it turns back on.

If there is no way to shut off the RAB, besides that 'button', where's the wire I can pull to disable that function?

Totally frustrated with this 'feature'. There should be some way to turn it off when you don't want it. Would shutting off eyesight work? Just a thought.

Sometimes this technology 'stuff' just makes life harder than it should be.

I know there are other threads dedicated to this topic, but everyone parrots, "Hold down the RAB button on the touch screen with the car in reverse."

I should also note that I have similar problems with all touch screens, including my phone. For some reason the electro-static charge of my body does not activate these types of devices well. Why can't we have a real switch? It would be just as safe, as the driver would have to activate it, and to me, it would be less annoying and I might even be able to push it. ;)

·
Registered
1,100 Posts
I hear you, I have to deal with this whenever I use my boat trailer or even my bike rack. It's as maddening as the radio that won't shut up.

I've not found any way to shut the RAB off other than to hold down the touch screen for around four seconds, which is ridiculously long and unnecessary. And you're right, it doesn't always work, touch screens were not designed for long presses. And even if you manage to shut it off, it doesn't always stay off. If you have to put it back in forward and then go back into reverse, which is common when maneuvering a trailer, the RAB often turns itself back on, so you're fighting it the whole time. If you don't shut it off you need to listen to it beep and then come grinding to a halt when the actual reverse braking kicks in. That'll get your heart pumping.

These terrible oversights and poor functional designs can easily be fixed via software upgrades if Subaru would just listen to their customers.

·
Registered
655 Posts
Nannies S*ck and when they are most needed, they sometimes they fail or annoy.

My Father has a 2019 Audi S3 and it has just about everything on the planet. It will tug you here, bark at you there. But recently I was visiting my Homestead in NE Pennsylvania and while I was driving to the airport, (with all nannies engaged) only my perception at the wheel felt and reacted to the *ss end wagging due to a massive t-storm and the rear being on the edge of hydroplaning. But the d*mn car will literally drive itself (almost) in many conditions. So, what good are these controls. They are there to stupefy the attentive and cover for the lazy and inattentive.

I am soooo happy Cherry and Frankie have ABS only and most of the time, I wish that was also disabled.

·
Registered
497 Posts
Nannies S*ck and when they are most needed, they sometimes they fail or annoy.

My Father has a 2019 Audi S3 and it has just about everything on the planet. It will tug you here, bark at you there. But recently I was visiting my Homestead in NE Pennsylvania and while I was driving to the airport, (with all nannies engaged) only my perception at the wheel felt and reacted to the *ss end wagging due to a massive t-storm and the rear being on the edge of hydroplaning. But the d*mn car will literally drive itself (almost) in many conditions. So, what good are these controls. They are there to stupefy the attentive and cover for the lazy and inattentive.

I am soooo happy Cherry and Frankie have ABS only and most of the time, I wish that was also disabled.
Take a look at Page 375 of Manual. They give 4 methods of canceling it, and two pages detailing the steps.

·
Registered
257 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Thank you.
The methods described in the manual are for canceling AFTER the RAB activates. I don't want it to activate. I was wondering if anyone had found a way to shut it off so that it won't activate.

Ken, an avid manual reader ;)

·
Registered
1,100 Posts
Take a look at Page 375 of Manual. They give 4 methods of canceling it, and two pages detailing the steps.
The only way to cancel it before it activates is to use the long press method on the touch screen which does not work well. You have to cancel both the RAB and the audio alarm. This takes significant time which must be done whenever you're in reverse. If you have to go back and forth into forward and reverse to maneuver a trailer (very common) you may have to shut off the RAB and alarm again and again.

Often, when maneuvering a trailer, you can be in a stressful situation such as a crowded boat ramp or when you're blocking traffic such as in a campground. Having to continually deal with turning the RAB off is a severe annoyance. It would be great to be able to turn it off ahead of time and have it remain off when you are using a trailer or even a bike rack because both falsely set off the RAB system.

This is a significant oversight by Subaru. Towing a trailer is very common and allowances should have been made. They could have sensed when the trailer lights were attached and then used that to automatically turn off the RAB. At the very least, a better way to cancel RAB should have been implemented.

·
Registered
1,735 Posts
It’s not a great solution but you can reach under the rear bumper and unplug the sensor for as long as you need it off. You’ll find this unintended consequence discussed in the hitch installation threads.

·
Registered
257 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
Thanks for the tip. I'll check out the hitch installation threads.
I think I found the connector, if it is the two pin connector under the passenger side if the bumper and above the tailpipe.
It is a bit awkward to get at, and it couldn't be done if the car has been run, because of the hot pipe.

After I wrote the above:
I disabled the the sonar alarm.
I tried several times to turn off the RAB on the touch screen.
I found that if I rolled my index finger in the area, without lifting it, and held it, I could consistently shut off the RAB. I did it repeatedly, and it worked each time.

·
Super Moderator
7,403 Posts
Do you have the 7 pin connector in use?

Mine was greyed out the last time I towed. I wonder if it's what it sees connected through the harness.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I had the same complaint when backing my boat trailer. According to the manual, it is recommended that the BSD/RCTA (Blind Spot Detection / Rear Cross Traffic Alert) be turned OFF when towing (second from left on the bottom row of panel at lower left of dashboard). Since I started doing that, the RAB shuts off automatically as soon as I start backing and remains off if I need to drive forward to adjust during the backing process. BSD/RCTA will remain disabled until the button is pressed again, even if the car is turned off and restarted.

·
Super Moderator
7,403 Posts
That may be why mine acts the way it does. Thanks for helping connect the dots!

·
Registered
257 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
According to the manual, it is recommended that the BSD/RCTA (Blind Spot Detection / Rear Cross Traffic Alert) be turned OFF when towing (second from left on the bottom row of panel at lower left of dashboard).
Thanks JFR. I do remember reading that, but I'd not done it.

The next time I do a hook up, I'll give that a try by pulling forward a bit and then backing up and see if the RAB is off.

·
Registered
655 Posts
Oh, I know it can be defeated in The Audi. I was only driving to the airport. My father is 78, he needs all that help these days. I don't even like changing the readio stations in other peoples cars. So I just let it where he has all the sh*t set

·
Registered
257 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Good news & a little bad news:

I went out and hooked up the trailer and pulled it out of the driveway and around the court.

I had the BSD/RCTA (Blind Spot Detection / Rear Cross Traffic Alert) turned off. When I got to the point that I wanted to start backing up, and I put the car in reverse, the RAB was on. I turned it off using the touch screen and it showed that RAB was off on the instrument panel. As I started backing up and beginning my cut, all of this with the RAB still noted as off, the RAB initiated, for no apparent reason on the fairly level surface of the court.

I pulled forward a little in Drive and then moved to Reverse. The instrument panel indicated that the RAB was off. I got my cut made and started backing up the incline of the driveway. When the Ascent's rear wheels reached the gutter along the edge of the court, where the trailer is physically closest to the Ascent, as it is on an incline up the driveway and the Ascent's front end is also on an incline up because of the gutter, the RAB did not kick in.

The back up the rest of the drive was okay, with no RAB action. That was an improvement. Thanks to you ALL.

What still bothers me is why the RAB activated when I was backing on a fairly level street and the instrument light indicated that the RAB was off.

·
Super Moderator
7,403 Posts
Wow, that's weird. I might try to fit in a short trip before late August, in which case I will test.

I wonder if using the 12v charging line changes how the system works.

·
Registered
331 Posts
Robert, or anyone who may know does the 7 pin harness on the ascent provide for charging the aux battery on a trailer or does something more need to be done?

·
Super Moderator
7,403 Posts
Yes, it does, but I don't know how much current it can send. Pretty sure our alternator is 200a though.

·
Super Moderator
7,403 Posts
I think either Kevin or Ken figured out how much power it puts out.

·
Registered
19 Posts
I am interested in how much power it puts out as well to charge up my home batts. Depends on the fuse and wiring gauge.

1 - 20 of 64 Posts