Subaru Ascent Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone have a recommendation for a tire that will reduce road noise? I have 20" rims (limited).

·
Registered
1,019 Posts
I've been toying with the idea of getting credit for the OEM tires and getting something nicer. I think the Michelin Premier LTX would be a great choice. Good Michelins are kind of known for their quiet ride. However I don't find the OEM Falkens to be all that loud. Switching tires might only have a small to negligible effect.

There is also a Continental tire out there that comes in two versions. One version has a foam liner inside. Those tires are over $300 each and from my research, those tire liners do not make a real world difference as far as road noise is concerned.

·
Registered
78 Posts
I've been toying with the idea of getting credit for the OEM tires and getting something nicer. I think the Michelin Premier LTX would be a great choice. Good Michelins are kind of known for their quiet ride. However I don't find the OEM Falkens to be all that loud. Switching tires might only have a small to negligible effect.

There is also a Continental tire out there that comes in two versions. One version has a foam liner inside. Those tires are over $300 each and from my research, those tire liners do not make a real world difference as far as road noise is concerned.
What do you mean by “getting credit for the oem tires,” I’m not familiar with that.

·
Registered
1,019 Posts
What do you mean by “getting credit for the oem tires,” I’m not familiar with that.
You may be eligible to get a small credit if you trade in tires. I usually go to Discount Tire and as they have been great. For our almost new OEM tires, I'd expect $200 for the set. I haven't checked though. So for those Michelins I posted above, I'd still have to put in about $1000. I'm not 100% convinced that it would be worth it. The Falkens are adequate for me for now. Either I act fast or wait until the OEMs wear down (30k?).

https://firstquarterfinance.com/discount-tires-used-tires/

·
Registered
266 Posts

Michelin are probably the quietest but beware of fast wear. I put a set in my other vehicle with 45k warranty and they were done in 30k. On the road they behave really nice, though. I put Pirellis afterwards and they are just as quiet, they have 60k warranty we'll see what happens with wear.

·
Registered
78 Posts
You may be eligible to get a small credit if you trade in tires. I usually go to Discount Tire and as they have been great. For our almost new OEM tires, I'd expect $200 for the set. I haven't checked though. So for those Michelins I posted above, I'd still have to put in about $1000. I'm not 100% convinced that it would be worth it. The Falkens are adequate for me for now. Either I act fast or wait until the OEMs wear down (30k?).

https://firstquarterfinance.com/discount-tires-used-tires/

The new car purchase dents my wallet enough so that I've never thought about trading in the new tires.

That said, I've never kept any set of OEM tires for more than 25/30K, since by then they always seem to start riding hard or noisy. So it's just a short delay till Michelin gets my money for the replacement set.

·
Registered
685 Posts
Does anyone have a recommendation for a tire that will reduce road noise? I have 20" rims (limited).
Continental Extreme Contact DWS (06 now) very quiet tread and sidewall compression. My experience with my older models cars. Which transfer even more NVH. I am about to buy a new set in fact.

·
Registered
1,019 Posts
Continental Extreme Contact DWS (06 now) very quiet tread and sidewall compression. My experience with my older models cars. Which transfer even more NVH. I am about to buy a new set in fact.
I like Continental tires also. They always seem to weigh a couple pounds less than the competition. I've always liked those DWS but never had the opportunity to try them. And unfortunately, they do not come in 245/50/20 for the Ascent.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts