Subaru Ascent Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Decided to take my son on an overnight camp out with our new MY2020. After blowing the fuse on the 110v plug in the driveway and having to use house power to blow up the air mattress it was a pretty smooth time. I loved sleeping under that moon roof!

Learned a few things though:
1. Get good sleeping bags. It was 33 degrees and the quilt wasn’t enough. I thought the air bed would be insulation from below but NOPE. Our teeth were chattering by sunrise.
2. Park level. I parked the car a little downhill to counter the way the captains chairs don’t fold flat, but then the air bed sagged a little and my feet felt way up in the air.

overall a great way to get a few hours of one on one time! My next kid is already asking for her turn to camp in the “Soo-bah-woo”!

·
Registered
421 Posts
Looks like you had fun! My younger daughter loves tents and tiny houses, and looks for any chance to camp.

I tried an air mattress in my before-Subie SUV. Daughter was only 80 lbs, and every time I moved, she'd go flying up toward the ceiling. We finally got a roof top tent with a thick foam pad. But those were fun times camping in the car. No muss no fuss.

For summertime in-car camping, we got a big mosquito net and draped it over the whole car, so we could open windows and still keep the bugs out. Just gotta weigh it down in the middle of the roof to keep it from sliding off in the wind.

F.S.

·
Registered
2020 Ascent, 2011 WRX, 2009 Outback
629 Posts
Good times, and the picture looks nice!

My wife, son, myself and our dog did this before in our old 2005 Outback. The good days when you could lay all the seats flat in a Subaru.

I think every Subaru owner should camp once in their car. I sleep in my WRX a few times a year when I drive out east by myself.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Hotel Subaru - did that many nights camping during regattas in my previous two outbacks. Use to use a thermamest pad and slept diagonal but then I found that one of the low (6") high cots would fit if I supported the front as the legs hung over the seat. Haven't tried that in the Ascent as we now have a small teardrop. I also found a magnetic edged mosquito screen that would fit over the sunroof and adhere to the roof so I could get air.

·
Registered
2018 Subaru Outback Limited 3.6R, 2003 Honda Pilot EX
74 Posts
Hotel Subaru - did that many nights camping during regattas in my previous two outbacks. Use to use a thermamest pad and slept diagonal but then I found that one of the low (6") high cots would fit if I supported the front as the legs hung over the seat. Haven't tried that in the Ascent as we now have a small teardrop. I also found a magnetic edged mosquito screen that would fit over the sunroof and adhere to the roof so I could get air.
thanks for the info - can you share info on the magnetic net?

·
Registered
105 Posts
I don't have the info on the netting. I first used it about 20 years ago on my 2000 Outback. But if you search on Amazon you should be able to find magnetic netting at least for doors which you might be able to cut down to fit over the sunroof. Or you can buy self sticking magnetic tape and a roll of screening and make one.

·
Registered
920 Posts
LOL, just reminded me. When I was graduating college I flew out to Phoenix to preorder a house. It was Nascar weekend so ALL the hotels were sold out (except a few of the $$$$ ones). So we rented an Outback and slept in the back at the Lost Dutchman State Park! Ironically 2 decades later we were camping there once a month!

Reactions: Jim_in_PA

·
Registered
81 Posts
Since it's not bug season yet, open the sunroof, to allow all that moisture you breathe out to go somewhere not collecting inside of the glass and windshield.

The magnetic screens are good, but if you're not careful, the dirt on the roof can cause scratches (use a quick detailer spray on the paint around the sunroof beforehand).
If it's going to rain... vent visors are also a good idea to help ventilate.

Ventilation is important, just like how ventilation is important on a tent

·
Registered
3,726 Posts
1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.