Subaru Ascent Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello Ascent-ers,

I am interested in buying a mid-size SUV, and have been considering Ascent and Atlas for some time. While VW has 6 years warranty, reports of poor quality have caused dissent for Atlas (pardon the labored pun). So, it is Ascent in all likelihood. I wavered between Limited 8-passenger and Touring 7-passenger, but gobears157 suggested touring might be a better option.

Now considering the Touring model with a few accessories:
- Ascent Touring
+
- All-Weather Floor Liners
- Auto-Dimming Exterior Mirror with Approach Light
- Body Side Molding
- Door Edge Guards
- Rear Bumper Cover
- LED Upgrade - Map and Reading Lights - 6-Bulb Kit
- Rear seatback protector
- Splash guards
- Side Sill Plate

$47264 MSRP on Subaru.com

Considered but not added:
- Remote Engine Starter - Push Start
- Aero Crossbar

I have a few questions:

- What would be a good all-inclusive final price for the above? I am in bay area.
- Are the above accessories dealer-installed or factory-installed? If dealer installed, does it make sense to have them fiddle with a new vehicle?
- Are there any packages for Touring that include the above that may provide a better value? I wasn't able to find any.
- Are there any accessories above that are not worth getting? Are there any others that may be good to get?
- Any extended warranty worth getting?

Would appreciate any views and inputs on the above.

·
Premium Member
565 Posts
I would skip the LED upgrade and do it yourself. It's like a $30 or less job.

Hitch is good if you ever want to hook up a bike rack or tow anything.

If you are going fully loaded, I would look for a dealer that gets closer to invoice or slightly above it.

They are typically port installed...I think Carl has said that's not quite factory, but it's not dealer either.

I'm probably going to get an extended warranty given that this is a 1st generation and it has direct injection which is known for carbon buildup issues

·
Registered
292 Posts
General advice: get as close to invoice as possible. Start with Bakersfield Subaru to set th benchmark; use the Costco program to benchmark any Bay Area dealers prices, and play them off each other to get the best combination of price and/or timing of delivery.

You can find invoice pricing at various parts of this forum. Throw all the numbers on excel to figure out your invoice v MSRP price, and try to get to invoice. Good luck!

·
Registered
253 Posts
Don't worry about the remote engine start...its build into the Starlink app (does require subscription though)

·
Registered
965 Posts
Don't worry about the remote engine start...its build into the Starlink app (does require subscription though)
Yep - it was $411 for the remote start, now it's $375 for 7 years of the app - which also includes remote climate control, vehicle location, boundary setting, and a bunch more stuff (like automatic collision notification).

·
Registered
277 Posts
Yep - it was $411 for the remote start, now it's $375 for 7 years of the app - which also includes remote climate control, vehicle location, boundary setting, and a bunch more stuff (like automatic collision notification).
I am picking up Touring in about two weeks. What exact subscription option should I ask for to get this $375 deal ?

Thanks.

·
Registered
965 Posts
I am picking up Touring in about two weeks. What exact subscription option should I ask for to get this $375 deal ?

Thanks.
Starlink Safety Plus with Security Plus added. If you want to add full concierge services, it's another $201 on top of that (for the full 7 years).

Your choice, too. You can include it in either the finance OR pay for it with a credit card.

·
Registered
598 Posts
Starlink Safety Plus with Security Plus added. If you want to add full concierge services, it's another $201 on top of that (for the full 7 years).

Your choice, too. You can include it in either the finance OR pay for it with a credit card.
Do you know if you have to pay for the 7 years at the time you take delivery or can you subscribed and get this pricing through the trial period?

·
Registered
253 Posts
If I pay for 7 years, but sell after say 5 years, do you get reimbursed for the 2 years?

I am almost positive the answer is 'yes'. Jason? Carl? Reimbursement for Starlink subscription if you opt out early?

Also, I am nearly positive the payment period will begin after the trial period is over.

·
Registered
965 Posts
I am almost positive the answer is 'yes'. Jason? Carl? Reimbursement for Starlink subscription if you opt out early?

Also, I am nearly positive the payment period will begin after the trial period is over.
Proration for refunds is based on the length of time the customer has remaining on the plan to the day.

The salesman should ACTIVATE Subaru Starlink when you buy the car. They've changed things for the 2019's and onward. (I'm rounding the prices below, just FYI. Don't give me grief because it's actually $74.95 versus $75.)
You get 3 YEARS of Safety Plus, just for buying the car. To extend that out by 4 more years (to 7 years total) is $200 - IF you sign up within 6 months of delivery.
To ADD Security Plus for that 3 year period, it's $75. And to use the app to start your car and control your climate, as well as the vehicle locator, you MUST have Security Plus. And again, to add it for the whole 7 years is an extra $175, so you spend $375 total up front.

Because here's where the fun is - if you decide, well, I'll just wait, because I get the pricing opportunity for 6 months and I'll do it later - and you forget ... It's $150 PER YEAR after that. Granted, they give you a price break if you buy 3 years at a time, so it's $300 for 3 full years. But you're GETTING $1,050 full price for 7 years at $375 with the introductory price when you sign up at delivery. Why would you not do that?

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I would skip the LED upgrade and do it yourself. It's like a $30 or less job.

Hitch is good if you ever want to hook up a bike rack or tow anything.

If you are going fully loaded, I would look for a dealer that gets closer to invoice or slightly above it.

They are typically port installed...I think Carl has said that's not quite factory, but it's not dealer either.

I'm probably going to get an extended warranty given that this is a 1st generation and it has direct injection which is known for carbon buildup issues
General advice: get as close to invoice as possible. Start with Bakersfield Subaru to set th benchmark; use the Costco program to benchmark any Bay Area dealers prices, and play them off each other to get the best combination of price and/or timing of delivery.

You can find invoice pricing at various parts of this forum. Throw all the numbers on excel to figure out your invoice v MSRP price, and try to get to invoice. Good luck!
Thanks everyone for the tips. I guess I'll add the hitch. $499 as a factory installed option makes a lot of sense vs. $800 @ dealer. Starlink and Safety Plus for $375 certainly seem a good option.

How much does an extended warranty cost? Will it be tied to the dealer or can it be availed at any Subaru dealer? Is it transferable? Considering it is the first model year, I am little apprehensive.

·
Registered
287 Posts
How much does an extended warranty cost? Will it be tied to the dealer or can it be availed at any Subaru dealer? Is it transferable? Considering it is the first model year, I am little apprehensive.
Someone mentioned in this forum $1000 to $1500 is a good deal on warranty and it will be available at any Subaru dealer and prices are dealer specific. Not sure if it's transferable though.

·
Registered
253 Posts
Thanks everyone for the tips. I guess I'll add the hitch. $499 as a factory installed option makes a lot of sense vs. $800 @ dealer. Starlink and Safety Plus for $375 certainly seem a good option.

Believe me, your not the only one who is apprehensive about a BRAND new car with a BRAND new engine. I know you can buy service packages (oil changes, etc) that are good at any Subie dealership in the country (which I will defiantly be adding). I would assume that the warranty would be the same.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
On the Touring trim-level are there any Options Packages that combine a few common accessories (I wasn't able to locate any)? Or, do I need to select each accessory separately?

Also, when placing an order, how do I specify and make sure that dealer is including factory/port-installation and not dealer installation for the accessories, considering there's a significant cost difference between the two?

·
Registered
16 Posts
On the Touring trim-level are there any Options Packages that combine a few common accessories (I wasn't able to locate any)? Or, do I need to select each accessory separately?

Also, when placing an order, how do I specify and make sure that dealer is including factory/port-installation and not dealer installation for the accessories, considering there's a significant cost difference between the two?
We got our touring on Friday and we ordered it with popular package #2. I believe there are 2 (or 3?) packages like this that combine popular accessories. Your sales associate should be able to ensure that you are ordering port instillation on these.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
We got our touring on Friday and we ordered it with popular package #2. I believe there are 2 (or 3?) packages like this that combine popular accessories. Your sales associate should be able to ensure that you are ordering port instillation on these.
Congratulations!

And, thank you the response. Popular package #2 and #3 do seem to have accessories that Touring doesn't include by default!

Anything that you feel you should've added or not included or done differently? I'll looking forward to ordering a Touring pretty soon.

·
Registered
965 Posts

Okay, two things.

Accessory packages, NOT Option packages. It may sound like semantics, but from our perspective, the Option package is what determines the car. Touring Ascent is Option 31, Limited is Option 21 or 23, Premium is Option 11, 12, or 14. There are accessory packages - Popular Packages 01, 02, 03, and 04 - that have a variety of accessories in them, and are model / trim specific on which vehicles they can go on. It will simplify ordering, but it doesn't affect the price as there's no 'bundle' discount.

As for making sure the accessories are port installed - just make sure they're on the worksheet AND on the Vehicle Order sheet that you get from your salesman. All the accessories should be on it. Anything extra, such as window tint after delivery, would be on the worksheet.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Congratulations!

And, thank you the response. Popular package #2 and #3 do seem to have accessories that Touring doesn't include by default!

Anything that you feel you should've added or not included or done differently? I'll looking forward to ordering a Touring pretty soon.
Carl is right about the differences between options and accessories. I was a little confused about that prior to placing our order. I am very happy with what we got, and at least for the time being wouldn't change anything. We got the hitch, the 3rd row sun shade, the seat back protector, and popular package #2. We got package #2 mainly for the mirrors and the floor liners.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts