Subaru Ascent Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Thinking of purchasing an Ascent and trading in my 2015 Outback 2.5i Limited with 78,400 miles. Stopped in the dealership today for an oil change and casually spoke with a salesman about trading in my car. He said that under 80k miles they can resel it as a certified used vehicle, but over 80k they can’t. My question is how much difference does that make? I drive ~400 miles/week and will be over the limit even if I place an order today, unless I borrow a vehicle from a family member (difficult but might be possible). I’d rather wait a couple months to compare the Ascent with a 2019 Outback but am now worried I might be losing a significant amount of money going over the 80k mark.

·
Registered
567 Posts
I don't know the answer to your question, but Subaru came up with the exact same price - right to the penny on my 2015 2.5i Limited as CarMax did. Might want to go by there and see what they say since they can't "certify" it like Subaru does. You can only get two quotes from them, each good for 7 days. So, get one

now to see what they have to say and save the second quote for when you are ready to act - if they are competitive.

·
Administrator
10,986 Posts
Thinking of purchasing an Ascent and trading in my 2015 Outback 2.5i Limited with 78,400 miles. Stopped in the dealership today for an oil change and casually spoke with a salesman about trading in my car. He said that under 80k miles they can resel it as a certified used vehicle, but over 80k they can’t. My question is how much difference does that make? I drive ~400 miles/week and will be over the limit even if I place an order today, unless I borrow a vehicle from a family member (difficult but might be possible). I’d rather wait a couple months to compare the Ascent with a 2019 Outback but am now worried I might be losing a significant amount of money going over the 80k mark.

If you have not had any accidents or body work, then, first, make sure you have a MySubaru Account. Then, add the vehicle to it. Then, request a guaranteed trade-in value. You can play with the mileage amounts and see what that changes, I think.

Regardless, I'd always shop around, and keep in mind that private sales often end up netting thousands more. Also make use of kbb.com to check on your car's current value and what it's selling for in your area.

·
Registered
598 Posts
We traded in basically the exact same model/trim/mileage for our ascent. Our dealership matched what carmax offered which is obv less than if i sold it private party but for the hassle of doing it myself it was worth the couple extra grand hit we took.

I'm not sure where your dealership is getting those figures because according to the Subaru GTV chart you (and I) are outside the acceptable year/mileage criteria already to get the quoted amount less the mileage deduction:
The Guaranteed Trade-In Program Value for your 2015 Subaru Outback 2.5i Limited with up to 45,000 miles is:
$19,500^ (Less $0.20/mile over 45k; see below)

This would actually be less that what I ended up being offered on the trade-in. So I did better than the Subaru GTV.

Beginning April 1st 2018, GTP value is based on the following maximum allowable total vehicle mileage at the time of actual sale:

Model Year 2010 100,000 miles
Model Year 2011 100,000 miles
Model Year 2012 90,000 miles
Model Year 2013 75,000 miles
Model Year 2014 60,000 miles
Model Year 2015 45,000 miles
Model Year 2016 30,000 miles
Model Year 2017 22,500 miles
Model Year 2018 15,000 miles

For vehicles exceeding the above maximum mileage limits and not disallowed by the Vehicle Exclusions or the Vehicle Condition Criteria outlined in the Program Guidelines, the GTP Value offered to the customer must be reduced by $0.20 for each mile over the maximum mileage allowance. This is the only allowed reduction of the GTP Value.

Source: https://www.subaru.com/guaranteed-trade-in-program/rules.html

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks everyone. I will likely go to Carmax this week for a quote to get an idea of the trade-in value. I have about a week before I go over 80k miles, so I will have to make a decision quickly on whether or not I should stop driving my car and find alternative transportation until I’m ready to buy.

Like I said, it was a quick conversation with the salesman as I was pressed for time. So I didn’t really think about it until I was on the road. For clarity, however, the 80k mile mark had nothing to do with the Subaru Guaranteed Trade-In Program but factors in to what the dealer can resell my car for. According to the salesman, under 80k the car can be sold as a Certified Pre-Owned vehicle and over 80k it can not.

I assume that a Certified Pre-Owned vehicle would be more valuable to the dealership and prospective buyers and would therefore have a higher trade-in value for me, even if it is over the mileage specified in the Subaru Guaranteed Trade-In Program.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.