Subaru Ascent Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2020 Ascent Limited
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Driving in a heavy rainstorm today; The eyesight system shutdown (as I expected) and several warning light came on. On the left side of the dash immediately above the lane departure off warning light was another warning light, the caricature looked like clouds with a rising or setting sun? It came on when the eyesight went down and immediately cleared when the rain let up and eyesight could see again. I was able to decipher the other lights but not the one with the clouds. A search of the owners manual was fruitless. Anyone have an idea?

·
Registered
2020 Ascent Limited
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Your are correct about the eyesight and heavy rain. But I wasn’t surprised by that. It was the one odd icon that I couldn’t figure out. The lane departure off and lane weaving off and eyesight off lights all made sense. The clouds and sun(?) icon wasn’t in my owners manual either. The really good news is that the Ascent tracked very well and handled the puddles and other road water better than my Outback.

·
Registered
2020 Ascent Limited
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Sorry I just reread your answer and it makes sense. Thank you

·
Super Moderator
2,439 Posts
Is it #18 in this screenshot?
Text Circle Font Line art

the tachometer numbers aren’t in the picture in the manual but start directly above the LDW icon. I just checked my dash and #18 is the only other icon in the vicinity

·
Registered
2020 Ascent Limited
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Yes it was a typical South Texas Frog Choker. I was impressed by the the way the Ascent held the road and handled to occasional deep puddle. I’ve only put 126 miles on it but I believe it is a much better vehicle than the 2011 Outback it is replacing. I’m already looking forward to our first road trip.

·
Registered
1,406 Posts
don't be surprised if the sun, overexposing the cameras, will temporarily disable the eyesight, too. This will likely to happen after work hours when the sun is beaming parallel to the camera

·
Registered
2020 CWP Touring
1,174 Posts
don't be surprised if the sun, overexposing the cameras, will temporarily disable the eyesight, too. This will likely to happen after work hours when the sun is beaming parallel to the camera
Quite frankly, I'm super impressed with EyeSight's ability to keep image exposure in check. I've had EyeSight shut off once in a pouring rain at speed, but I've driven it directly into a setting sun on a clear day and haven't had it to shut off yet. I'm not saying there aren't sunset conditions that it just can't handle, but I've been very pleased with its apparent ability to adjust for difficult light conditions (sun directly in its "eyes").

·
Administrator
10,968 Posts
Quite frankly, I'm super impressed with EyeSight's ability to keep image exposure in check. I've had EyeSight shut off once in a pouring rain at speed, but I've driven it directly into a setting sun on a clear day and haven't had it to shut off yet. I'm not saying there aren't sunset conditions that it just can't handle, but I've been very pleased with its apparent ability to adjust for difficult light conditions (sun directly in its "eyes").
People ask why the cameras aren't directly against the windshield like in other cars. That's one reason why. Sun glare or glare from street lights is much "smaller" to the cameras because it's not jammed against the glass. That, and the programming being really good makes for some nice results.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts