Subaru Ascent Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All,
I heard there were a few people that have relocated their Rear Backup Camera. Can someone provide a tutorial or their way of relocating the camera to like for instance, a spare tire carrier? I just recently got a new carrier but because it blocks my vision from the rear view mirror and completely blocks my backup camera, it's been difficult to backup and feels like I'm driving a box truck instead. Thanks in advance for your help.

·
Registered
614 Posts
Hi All,
I heard there were a few people that have relocated their Rear Backup Camera. Can someone provide a tutorial or their way of relocating the camera to like for instance, a spare tire carrier? I just recently got a new carrier but because it blocks my vision from the rear view mirror and completely blocks my backup camera, it's been difficult to backup and feels like I'm driving a box truck instead. Thanks in advance for your help.
Well, one solution would be to trade it in for the Touring model. On the Touring you can flip the rearview mirror to "camera" and you have a 180° view out the back. The camera is located inside at the very top of the back rear window. When flipped to that, the rearview mirror is showing you absolutely nothing inside the car. No "passenger's head", head rests or whatever. All you see is what's behind you.

·
Super Moderator
2019 Ascent Touring (CWP)
5,385 Posts
Well, one solution would be to trade it in for the Touring model. On the Touring you can flip the rearview mirror to "camera" and you have a 180° view out the back. The camera is located inside at the very top of the back rear window. When flipped to that, the rearview mirror is showing you absolutely nothing inside the car. No "passenger's head", head rests or whatever. All you see is what's behind you.
The video rearview mirror field of view in the Touring is totally unusable for backing up. Trust me...I use it 100% of the time and it's looking out in the distance, not immediately behind the vehicle like the backup camera does. The latter is also extremely wide angle so you can see left and right and also has the backup path marking on the screen including where you're going to go based on wheel turn.

I don't know if the OP can relocate the backup camera but I can absolutely understand the desire to do so if something is going to be permanently obstructing it.

Reactions: Titanrx8

·
Registered
679 Posts
Look at YouTube for ideas. Off course it's not ascent specific but you get the idea.

I don't know if the oe radio has a RCA plug for the back camera, probably not. OE mfgs likes to not use that as a standard. So you may need to run a new backup camera, trigger it on the backup light.

That's what I would do, run a new backup camera. If not, you might need to buy a spare backup on eBay and find a way to splice and extend the current backup camera to a new location.

Anything can be done, just depends on how much work you want to do. Or just go to a stereo shop and have them do it.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks all. I do have a fully loaded Touring model. The Rearview LED doesn't really help except for distance plus the spare tire blocks some portion below otherwise if I raise it any further, I'm looking a mile out back! Looking for a more technical solution.

What I'd like to do is relocate the rearview camera and have a switch in between such that if I wanted to revert back to the OE camera not a problem. I've already relocated my license plate and built a connection for the license plate light and wired that but for the camera, I'm not sure if there's a connector I can split the signal and use that switch. Because it really helps to have that backup camera. Fortunately, I was able to get the RAB working while carrying that Spare tire in the rear but seeing helps as well!

·
Administrator
12,146 Posts
I did this.

First, the stock camera uses 6V. I ran a 12V ignition switched line into my liftgate. I then used two switch jacks (looks like headphone jacks, except they have a mechanical switch in them). I spliced in the original camera feed and ran the tire mounted camera feed into the jack plugs. When the jack is plugged in, the switch jack switches to the tire mounted camera. When it's removed, it switches to the OEM camera.

I also used the ignition switched power for license plate lamps, so I don't get a ticket. Be aware that license plates have to be below a certain height in most states, btw.

I'd have done it differently, with a relay, and a power loop in the camera plug to switch the relay, and a hitch mounted plug, had I thought it out for literally one more week (which is how long after I did this that it took for me to come up with another plan).

I am not suggesting anyone drill into their Subies, or splice into harnesses - just showing what I did. Do the same at your own risk to harness or head unit.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Riddle me this Batman.

Could I...

Buy an additional back up OEM camera.

Mount it on the front.

Feed it through a switch that could toggle either the front or rear camera for viewing on the screen.

Well... could this work?

I'd like a front camera.

·
Administrator
12,146 Posts
Riddle me this Batman.

Could I...

Buy an additional back up OEM camera.

Mount it on the front.

Feed it through a switch that could toggle either the front or rear camera for viewing on the screen.

Well... could this work?

I'd like a front camera.
Do you have the full color upper MFD?

But, yes, you could do that. I'd suggest using the Touring's front camera though.

·
Administrator
12,146 Posts
I have a '22 premium. What the screen is called I do not know.
Then, you don't have the full color upper display. You could wire it to the input for the backup camera, but you couldn't easily trigger it. A second monitor would be more ideal.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts