Subaru Ascent Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've driven my Ascent for a little over 1,400 miles now and I have to admit that I'm no fan of the steering assist. Do you like to give that semi-trailer a little extra room while passing, especially if he's swerving a bit? Well steering assist will nudge you towards him just to get your blood pressure up. How about giving that car parked in the breakdown lane a little more room? Nope, steering assist will act like a cross wind to push you towards the guy.

Seriously, it's like having a two year old between your legs randomly pulling left or right on the bottom of the steering wheel. I haven't been in an accident in over 20 years and I don't need my car telling me how to steer. It makes my cars handling unpredictable and it makes my long distance drives fairly unnerving.

How do you disable it?

Tim

·
Registered
932 Posts
I've driven my Ascent for a little over 1,400 miles now and I have to admit that I'm no fan of the steering assist. Do you like to give that semi-trailer a little extra room while passing, especially if he's swerving a bit? Well steering assist will nudge you towards him just to get your blood pressure up. How about giving that car parked in the breakdown lane a little more room? Nope, steering assist will act like a cross wind to push you towards the guy.

Seriously, it's like having a two year old between your legs randomly pulling left or right on the bottom of the steering wheel. I haven't been in an accident in over 20 years and I don't need my car telling me how to steer. It makes my cars handling unpredictable and it makes my long distance drives fairly unnerving.

How do you disable it?

Tim
Hi Tim,

There's a feature called "Lane Keep Assist" that you can disable. It will remember the settings, so if you turn it ON, it will be ON the next time you start your car. If you turn it OFF, it will remain OFF.

Lane Departure Warning is an audio/visual warning system to alert the driver they're out of the lines. That is a different component of EyeSight, and I believe that turns on automatically every time you start the car.

The Lane Keep Assist - LKA - function should be on the steering wheel itself.

·
Registered
277 Posts
Correct , on steering wheel and indicated but icon in the middle of instrument cluster. After a few days of driving it appear to stay before restarts.

It does feel a bit weird when it’s on. I need to do more highway type driving to assess if I will keep it on. My wife will turn it off.

·
Registered
646 Posts
I haven't had any issues overpowering it and just get used to it. I mean technically you should slow down or switch lanes for stopped vehicles on the side of the road. Tractor trailers I just speed up to pass to stay out of their blind spot. I bet they're way more competent than the average driver.

But as mentioned you just need to hit the bottom right button I think on the right side of the steering wheel to disable it forever.

·
Registered
184 Posts
I haven't had any issues overpowering it and just get used to it. I mean technically you should slow down or switch lanes for stopped vehicles on the side of the road. Tractor trailers I just speed up to pass to stay out of their blind spot. I bet they're way more competent than the average driver.

But as mentioned you just need to hit the bottom right button I think on the right side of the steering wheel to disable it forever.
@ALL - it's an *assist* technology - just overpower it.

OR ... use your blinker in the direction of travel (which is law in most states ;) ) and it will not 'help' you.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thank you all. I appreciate it the info. The manual is ridiculously large. Thank you for saving me a couple of hours drilling down into it. As some of you mentioned it is easy to overpower the Lane Keep Assist but so is overpowering a crosswind. It's just disturbing and it does create a sense of a 'ghost in the machine'. As I was going to work today I was in the far right-hand lane. As I approached an exit, intending to stay on the freeway, the LKA nudged me towards the exit . . . . I understand the logic of it. Maybe kids that are highly distracted by their social media accounts can get value out of it but I don't like my car second guessing which lane I want to be in.

Thanks again.

Tim

·
Registered
210 Posts
I like it for the highway and long trips, but I decided to turn it off in town. It seems to have trouble picking up the lane markings on the roads that I frequent and that is more distracting to me.

·
Administrator
11,126 Posts
Bottom right button on the right side of the steering wheel.

·
Registered
334 Posts
I do have to agree to a point. I kept thinking the steering seemed kind of funny. Maybe my tires were too inflated or something like that. Glad someone mentioned it here because now I know what was actually happening. My '15 Outback didn't have that feature. I guess when I drive, maybe I don't drive straight enough for the cameras? On the top central display, you can see white arrows painted in the "road" on the Eyesight display screen when the lane assist occurs - at least I think that's what I'm seeing! Haven't hit the manual on that one yet. I'm still reserving judgement but will probably disable when my husband drives. I also have to set the ACC car lengths to the maximum so he feels comfortable when he drives using cruise. Automation doesn't suit everyone.

·
Registered
646 Posts
You'll see the "lines" on the dash when it sees them. The icon on the right of the dash display will turn green when it is assisting you. If you do not see the lines than the system is unable to determine where the lane is. Either the paint is worn or faded or non existent.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts