Subaru Ascent Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, first post and first time Subaru owner....I have a '21 Ascent Limited. Only about 150 miles on the vehicle and so far, it's been fine. As a first time owner, I'm not familiar with all things Subaru, but there are certainly a lot of bells and chimes and warnings on the car, which I need to figure out how to disable or turn down. I have a couple of quick questions

---upon startup, the car seems to shudder to the left and right--almost a quick rocking motion. It lasts only 1 second, but it is definitely there. I'm thinking it's because of the horizontal pistons on the boxer engine design. Anyone else experience this?

Wind noise--when I test drove the vehicle it was dead quiet, now that I've driven it some, it seems like the wind noise is greater than I remembered and significantly more noticeable when driving into a headwind---to the point I actually needed to turn up the radio the other day is was so annoying. Way more so than my full size SUV. ....Anyone else notice the wind noise? Maybe I'm too sensitive--noises in cars drive me absolutely crazy.

Paint softness---I've read about this. Mine is Black and after picking it up, I noticed a lot of swirls in the paint. I'm thinking it was from a brush carwash the dealership used when prepping the car. It took me about 4 hours with a D/A polisher to get 90% of them out (yes, I'm detailing freak).

Thanks in advance for all the info on the forums.

·
Registered
2020 Ascent Touring
1,171 Posts
The rocking you felt is common when engines have a longitudinal crankshaft and the torque is applied to the motor mounts. Cars with front wheel drive and transverse crankshafts do it too but it's less noticeable because the car has more mass front-to-back than side to side providing damping.

Regarding the wind noise, check that all of the trim around windows is flush and all windows and moonroof are closed. Not sure how long your test drive was, mine was 24 hours and the wind noise observed during the test was the same degree as the car we own. Have you installed crossbars on the roof rails vs demo car didn't have them? Did you test drive a different trim level? If you test drove 20" wheels, they're noisier than the 18"s and might have masked other noises if you have 18"s now.

The Ascent paint is soft, but so are most of the newer finishes. I hate swirls and my dark color cars never go through car washes and I am the only one who maintains the finish. I've found that even well regarded detailers aren't as meticulous as I'd prefer when it comes to using clean cloths or polishing bonnets. Swirls drive me insane too.

Good luck and welcome to the forum.

·
Administrator
11,089 Posts
Do you have roof rails? If so, make sure the thick edge faces forward.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks to everyone for the replies. I don't have the cross rails, so I can rule that one out. I did drive multiple trim levels so I don't think the wheels are the issue and the car I test drove is the one I purchased. I also drove the Outback prior to the Ascent and found it to have horrible wind noise--enough to make me not purchase....after driving that the Ascent seemed dead quiet so maybe it was there and I didn't realize it due to the back to back comparison. My test drive was about 10 miles....you don't get a car overnight here. Here's to hoping it was a strange driving fluke that day due to wind direction or something.

Other than that, it's too early to tell if the car is going to be a long term winner for us. Here's to hoping it's a fit.

·
Administrator
11,089 Posts
Hoping you enjoy it!!! I break 68,000 miles next week on my 2019, and enjoy my country spanning adventures more than I've enjoyed any other car I've owned (and it's literally my 30th personally owned motor vehicle).

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.