Subaru Ascent Forum banner

1 - 20 of 73 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So we're still trying to decide on which car to add to the driveway. This will be mostly my wife's daily driver, and she drives about 50+ miles a day round trip to her office, so I need to sure that she'll get there and back safely and without issues.

The issues and recalls on the Ascent have me a little concerned, so I wanted to reach out to those who own and are driving the 2020 models. Are the 2020 models still experiencing the same issues the 2019's have? Or have they been resolved?

Earl

·
Registered
108 Posts
I'm close to 6k miles since mid-September, and no issues here. Love it!

Reactions: Earl Larson

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hey, thanks for the quick replies. That makes me feel a little more confident in the choice. Thanks again.

·
Registered
178 Posts
If anything the recalls make me feel better. I have about 10k miles on my 2019 and no issues yet, but the fact that Subaru has diagnosed and is addressing the issue, in what I think is a relatively quick period, makes me remember why I bought a subaru. I think they are very customer focused and will do right by the customer. Sure, there are things that irk me, like the carpet quality or ivory colored accents, but for the size and safety at the price I paid makes all those things very minor complaints. I love it so far.

·
Registered
673 Posts
That makes me feel a little more confident in the choice. Thanks again.
Just an FYI: my 14 month old Limited with 17,000 miles has had zero problems. So at least one 2019 was ok:)

·
Registered
2019 Ascent Touring (CWP)
1,858 Posts
The reality is that only a small percentage of the MY19s had any real problems. Mine has had zero issues. If you like the Ascent...buy it and enjoy it.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Good morning,
I appreciate all the feedback. I took the wife to get a better look at the Telluride, Palisade, and Ascent, and test drive of all 3 yesterday. Well, we tried to get a test drive of the Telluride, but the $3K to $10K dealer markup on the stickers was a turn-off. And they were pretty proud of the fact that they were getting those markups. So that is off the list.

So we moved on to the Palisade, an SEL with AWD. I have to say, I was pretty impressed with the fit and finish, the drive and ride, the overall feel of the car. This felt more luxury - without the price. Even surprised the wife, as she thought it was HUGE before getting in and driving it. Lots of techno gadgets and creature controls for front and rear passengers, and surprisingly lots of leg room for me at 6'-3", from front seat to rear (although the 3rd row had my knees up higher than I would have liked - but I hope to never have to ride back there regardless of which one we get). And it has a V6 and 8sp automatic trans - but no gear shift lever - has a push-button gear select - hmmmmm....jury still out on that one. But lots of internal storage, cup holders, usb ports, etc. The Palisade has a smoother ride, at least to me. And it has auto-leveling rear suspension, and same towing capacity as the Ascent. The stock warranty covers the car for a longer period than Subaru.

Finally, she drove the Ascent again. Personally, I think she is sold on the Ascent (not sure if it's because of all the 'cute' dog commercials - but have a hunch that played a big part). She says it feels 'smaller' to her, and it is narrower inside and out, but a little taller. It does have a little more room in the 3rd row. To me, it did feel a bit more responsive, not just in acceleration, but steering and road feel. Some have commented that the steering feels a little vague, maybe in tactile feel through the wheel. I thought it was okay. Interior and exterior are typical Subaru, nothing fancy, more practical. Although I will say they really need to do something with that 'ivory' (more yellow) plastic trim. I read one review where the comment was it was as if Subaru looked in the global platform box and just used what they had left. For the so-called 'flag ship' of the line, I expected a bit more fit and finish. Again, the Palisade has the better standard warranty - without having to buy an extended warranty. But I'm pretty sure whichever one we finally buy, an extended warranty will definitely be in the deal - to cover all the electronics, and more.

So I guess we'll be adding a vehicle this weekend, as both of them have their special financing offers expiring on 1/2/2020. She's leaning more towards the Ascent, where I think I am leaning more towards the Palisade. I just wish they would have offered the 3.6 and a regular auto trans in the Ascent, just to handle the weight a little better. But then again, you all are proving that really isn't an issue. So who knows...I may convert over, too.

Thanks again for sharing all your experiences and opinions. Much appreciated.

·
Registered
702 Posts
The 2.4L DIT engine in the Ascent is much, much, much, much better than the old 3.6L engine. That thing was a turd. Ascent Powertrain trumps the Korean brands, hands down.

A markup on a KIA? Holy cow - do you live in CA by chance?

Generally, you get thousands off MSRP on a Subaru (way below invoice), so the economics win as well.

·
Banned
85 Posts
Good morning,
I appreciate all the feedback. I took the wife to get a better look at the Telluride, Palisade, and Ascent, and test drive of all 3 yesterday. Well, we tried to get a test drive of the Telluride, but the $3K to $10K dealer markup on the stickers was a turn-off. And they were pretty proud of the fact that they were getting those markups. So that is off the list.

So we moved on to the Palisade, an SEL with AWD. I have to say, I was pretty impressed with the fit and finish, the drive and ride, the overall feel of the car. This felt more luxury - without the price. Even surprised the wife, as she thought it was HUGE before getting in and driving it. Lots of techno gadgets and creature controls for front and rear passengers, and surprisingly lots of leg room for me at 6'-3", from front seat to rear (although the 3rd row had my knees up higher than I would have liked - but I hope to never have to ride back there regardless of which one we get). And it has a V6 and 8sp automatic trans - but no gear shift lever - has a push-button gear select - hmmmmm....jury still out on that one. But lots of internal storage, cup holders, usb ports, etc. The Palisade has a smoother ride, at least to me. And it has auto-leveling rear suspension, and same towing capacity as the Ascent. The stock warranty covers the car for a longer period than Subaru.

Finally, she drove the Ascent again. Personally, I think she is sold on the Ascent (not sure if it's because of all the 'cute' dog commercials - but have a hunch that played a big part). She says it feels 'smaller' to her, and it is narrower inside and out, but a little taller. It does have a little more room in the 3rd row. To me, it did feel a bit more responsive, not just in acceleration, but steering and road feel. Some have commented that the steering feels a little vague, maybe in tactile feel through the wheel. I thought it was okay. Interior and exterior are typical Subaru, nothing fancy, more practical. Although I will say they really need to do something with that 'ivory' (more yellow) plastic trim. I read one review where the comment was it was as if Subaru looked in the global platform box and just used what they had left. For the so-called 'flag ship' of the line, I expected a bit more fit and finish. Again, the Palisade has the better standard warranty - without having to buy an extended warranty. But I'm pretty sure whichever one we finally buy, an extended warranty will definitely be in the deal - to cover all the electronics, and more.

So I guess we'll be adding a vehicle this weekend, as both of them have their special financing offers expiring on 1/2/2020. She's leaning more towards the Ascent, where I think I am leaning more towards the Palisade. I just wish they would have offered the 3.6 and a regular auto trans in the Ascent, just to handle the weight a little better. But then again, you all are proving that really isn't an issue. So who knows...I may convert over, too.

Thanks again for sharing all your experiences and opinions. Much appreciated.
The Ascent ride quality on rough road surfaces is horrible. Cabin noise is obnoxious. This is not my opinion only, Edmund makes the claim as well. Do you drive it on any rough road surfaces?

·
Registered
178 Posts
The Accents off road capability and smooth suspension is actually what partly sold me on it even though ill probably use it minimally off road. The dealer actually had a large hill paved with pretty large 5-6 inch round stones and it was pretty neat taking the subaru up and down that track without hesitation. I find the daily drive very comfortable and extremely quiet. Such a great blend of practicality, safety, awd, space, and affordability.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
The 2.4L DIT engine in the Ascent is much, much, much, much better than the old 3.6L engine. That thing was a turd. Ascent Powertrain trumps the Korean brands, hands down.

A markup on a KIA? Holy cow - do you live in CA by chance?

Generally, you get thousands off MSRP on a Subaru (way below invoice), so the economics win as well.
Close...we're up in Oregon (slowly becoming CA, with all the transplants invading us). We checked a couple dealerships in our area, and the markups on the Telluride were from $3k to $10k, and most you have to drop a deposit and wait (up to a few months) to get one. So we moved on from that one, not going to play that game.

Local Subaru dealer (closest to us) is selling (asking) over MSRP, and isn't willing to deal. So we went through TrueCar and got a few offers from other dealerships in the ares, with prices up to $2500 less than what the local dealer was asking for the same model and packages.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
The Ascent ride quality on rough road surfaces is horrible. Cabin noise is obnoxious. This is not my opinion only, Edmund makes the claim as well. Do you drive it on any rough road surfaces?
No off roading, but we did go down some rough road surfaces. Have to agree, it was not the smoothest ride on those surfaces, the Hyundai was much smoother. Hard to really judge the cabin noise on that short of a test drive. If we are close to making the final choice, I will take the wheel and put it through a bit more. I know my wife will say that she would not be driving like that, but sometimes Life happens.

1 - 20 of 73 Posts