Subaru Ascent Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Yesterday I took my Ascent in to have 3 recalls attended to. I have to drive an hour to the nearest dealer on West Virginia roads. After the service was completed and on my way home. Driving on interstate 68 which is mountainous I lost power and nearly caused a pileup. I pulled off the road and called the dealer and was told to drive back to the shop about a 15 minute drive with the car. YIKES, driving after that scare was not fun. After they ran their tests I was told that the turbo had not been reconnected correctly. WHAT?!?! My question is, will driving without the turbo connected properly damage my vehicle? The dealer told me no, but I have lost a bit of faith with them.

·
Administrator
10,986 Posts
There's an intercooler manifold seal that needs to be replaced, not reused. So, it was likely simply losing boost when it blew the seal out.

If that's the mistake they made (reused the old one), they're probably correct. If not, I have no idea.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Its likely that a hose going from the turbo to the intake had not been reconnected correctly, but the phrasing was a little confusing insinuating that the turbo itself was not connected to the car correctly. Do not worry. Turbocharged cars rely heavily on the full intake/turbo/intercooler/manifold system to be absolutely closed to the atmosphere, so in your case the air that had entered the intake and passed through the turbocharger was escaping before it could enter the motor resulting in a loss of power. There is a very very low likelihood that anything is damaged from this incident. Though it may have felt scary, it is a minor event for a modern engine.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.