Subaru Ascent Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm getting my ascent and trailer set up for towing now, and the Tekonsha P3 and Subaru harnesses are spliced and it shows signs of life.

The fuse holder that's part of the Subaru harness has a clip. Is there a designated location for it under the dash somewhere?

·
Registered
2019 Ascent Premium
366 Posts
There might be, but I’m unaware of where it would go. I imagine the fuse holder is one that is used across a variety of applications. I just wrapped the entire length of the spliced wires of the harness to the P3’s harness with electrical tape, then coiled it under the dash next to where the Subaru’s connector is located. Since I mounted the controller bracket on the fuse access panel cover, it tucks in there very nicely. Since I don’t tow often, I also purchased from the dealer a replacement fuse access panel cover for less than five dollars, which I use when I’m not towing, storing both the cover with the P3 bracket installed, and the P3 in its case, in the storage area in the back. That way I don’t have to deal with the occasional “knee strike” on the bracket when I’m exiting the car.

·
Registered
2020 Subaru Ascent Touring
2 Posts
Just purchased a 2020 Subaru Ascent Touring with Subaru Factory hitch receiver installed. They told me at the dealership it has a trailer brake controller built-in, find it under the dash on the left side (I don't see it). Then I found a package in the glove box marked "Trailer Brake Controller", a pigtail square connector? I am getting my trailer next week. Q: Will the Subaru apply a signal to the brakes on the trailer each time I step on the Subaru brakes?

·
Registered
1,118 Posts
No. They give you the harness to attach a trailer brake controller to. Whoever told you the trailer brake controller is built in was just wrong. You will need to add the controller to supply the signal / power to the trailer brakes.

·
Super Moderator
2019 Ascent Touring (CWP)
3,896 Posts
ust purchased a 2020 Subaru Ascent Touring with Subaru Factory hitch receiver installed. They told me at the dealership it has a trailer brake controller built-in, find it under the dash on the left side
You have a connector in that location to plug in the brake controller of your choice. The dealer misspoke...there is no built in brake controller in the Ascent. There are a few vehicles out there that provide that (mostly pick-em-up trucks and large SUVs), but it's not typical for mid-sized vehicles. You must buy a brake controller and install it before taking your new trailer on the road to be legal...and safe.

Reactions: Robert.Mauro
1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.