Subaru Ascent Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a Limited w/pkg 23 + extras. If I have the headlight knob on the turn signal lever set to “Auto”, do I need to manually turn on the headlights at night? I haven’t done any testing yet, but noticed on my way home tonight that if I pushed the turn signal level forward to engage the high beams, it would only work if the knob was set to the top “headlight” position. If I pushed the lever forward while the knob was in the “Auto” position, I wouldn’t get any high beams.

·
Registered
492 Posts
I have a Limited w/pkg 23 + extras. If I have the headlight knob on the turn signal lever set to “Auto”, do I need to manually turn on the headlights at night? I haven’t done any testing yet, but noticed on my way home tonight that if I pushed the turn signal level forward to engage the high beams, it would only work if the knob was set to the top “headlight” position. If I pushed the lever forward while the knob was in the “Auto” position, I wouldn’t get any high beams.
I was doing this tonight as well. I think it's the high beam assist. So if it detects a car coming toward you, it turns the high beams off for you. It was doing this for me with the street lights in our subdivision. I thought something was wrong or broken but again I think it's just the high beam assist feature trying to "help out".

·
Registered
277 Posts
>>>. If I pushed the lever forward while the knob was in the “Auto” position, I wouldn’t get any high beams.<<<<

This is seems to be adaptive high beams controlled by Eyesight.

I went to test my touring at night and when it headlights set on auto and stock is pushed forward high beams controlled by eyesight.

They are on if there are no oncoming cars and if road does no have big curves.

·
Registered
142 Posts
No, you don't need to manually turn on the headlights at night. The auto setting does that for you. You can however change the sensor to allow the headlights to come on earlier or later around dusk. It's in one of the menus in the infotainment screen and goes from min to max IIRC.

·
Registered
70 Posts
auto light sensor settings control frequency, not sensitivity

No, you don't need to manually turn on the headlights at night. The auto setting does that for you. You can however change the sensor to allow the headlights to come on earlier or later around dusk. It's in one of the menus in the infotainment screen and goes from min to max IIRC.
Super surprised to learn today that the auto light sensor settings control how *often* the current light level is sampled, not what level of darkness triggers the headlights.

All I could find was that the settings were Min thru Max, but changing those did not seem to make any difference. Turns out that (according to the Groove Subaru YouTube channel) this controls how often the car asks the light sensor how dark/light it is currently. If you have the setting at Max, it will turn on and off more often, not earlier/later in the evening, so you could trigger the lights by going under an underpass or some other trivial ambient light change.

Reactions: TSiWRX

·
Registered
225 Posts
When the lights are set to AUTO they will turn on and off on their own. When on auto pushing the high beam stalk away from you will enable the high beams to be controlled by eye sight as needed.

In the ON position pushing the stalk away from you will turn the high beams on and leave them on.

·
Registered
334 Posts
The sensor for the headlights is on the right side of the dashboard. So if your husband throws some papers up there and covers it, the headlights will come on unexpectedly during the daylight hours. You can sit and stare at the stick and settings trying to figure out why your headlights are on -- only to have an "ah ha" moment when the papers are moved.

·
Registered
224 Posts
Hmmm ... just noticing this "feature" on my 2021 Ascent - this is irritating and somewhat safety negative in that when I am in Auto on lights (always), I need to change light to On to be able to engage the brights?

NOT a good feature.

Just my opinion.

·
Registered
3,710 Posts
Hmmm ... just noticing this "feature" on my 2021 Ascent - this is irritating and somewhat safety negative in that when I am in Auto on lights (always), I need to change light to On to be able to engage the brights?

NOT a good feature.

Just my opinion.
Just push stick forward and brights will be on auto as well.

·
Super Moderator
2019 Ascent Touring (CWP)
3,844 Posts
As i noted in the other thread, if your Ascent is "never" automatically turning on the brights appropriately, @AscentForumUser , the sensor may not be working properly. The way you described it isn't the way things are supposed to go.

·
Registered
224 Posts
mtmra,

That is great news! Thanks!

Jim ... the high beams will come on in auto, but it has to be pretty dark with few reflections, etc ... the inability to be able to override the auto function, and simply turn them on, is, imo, just a screw up in implementation.

·
Registered
2020 Ascent, 2011 WRX, 2009 Outback
628 Posts
Yea, the override option is garbage. Have to hold the stalk or change the headlight mode. Both not great when in a situation where you need to focus on the road.

With auto brights disabled you'll never look back and be on your merry way :)

·
Registered
775 Posts
I've found the auto headlights +auto hi beams to work very well in suburbia. I can't think of the last time they mistakenly went to high. Although I assume the default mode is to err to low beams, as there are times ( very infrequent) they could go to high and they dont. Of all my cars with auto high beam assist, the Ascent's works best.

Plus the headlights themselves are very bright and cover a wide swath ( '19 touring, but I think all models now have the improved lighting), which is a bonus as I approach my AARP years.

·
Registered
6 Posts
auto light sensor settings control frequency, not sensitivity

Super surprised to learn today that the auto light sensor settings control how often the current light level is sampled, not what level of darkness triggers the headlights.

All I could find was that the settings were Min thru Max, but changing those did not seem to make any difference. Turns out that (according to the Groove Subaru YouTube channel) this controls how often the car asks the light sensor how dark/light it is currently. If you have the setting at Max, it will turn on and off more often, not earlier/later in the evening, so you could trigger the lights by going under an underpass or some other trivial ambient light change.
The frequency of checking the ambient light sensor is a HUGE problem on my 2010 Outback. As you mentioned, driving under an overpass would turn on the lights. Large birds, trees, you name it, the lights would pop on then off. It was burning out bulbs from the frequent cycles. Subaru fixed that on the 2011 model supposedly, but I stopped using auto lights on the 2010 Outback because changing those headlight bulbs was a major pain. And no "menu" on the 2010 Outback...

1 - 18 of 18 Posts