Subaru Ascent Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an Ascent Touring with about 1K miles. I usually idle and wait for the car to warm-up, and the RPMs to drop-off, before driving.
Instead of waiting, I start the car using the mobile app, however that starts the climate control and radio as well. Is there any way to keep the climate control off and radio off when starting the car remotely using the app?
(weather is just about right, so the only reason for remote start is warming-up the engine).

After driving for a while, if I stop for 25-30mins and restart the engine, the engine is still warm (as per temp guage), but the RPMs again take 2mins or so to drop off. Why is that?

·
Registered
26 Posts
See below notes from SOA:

https://www.subaru.ca/WebPage.aspx?W...ebPageID=21813

4. Engine Revving Higher When Cold
The optimal operating temperature for power output, fuel efficiency, and reduced emissions for Boxer Engines ranges from 84 °C to 100 °C.

The Catalytic Converter which is the main exhaust emissions control device also require a minimum temperature of 300 °C before it can operate efficiently.

The Engine Control Module (ECM) and Transmission Control Module (TCM) work together to bring the engine and catalytic converter up to operating temperature as quickly as possible by using a lower gear ratio to increase engine RPM.

The Climate Control Module also transmits the desired interior temperature to the ECM, which may also increase the engine RPM to meet customer demands.

Note: You may become concerned the engine is revving too high when cold based upon past experiences. The ECM is in constant control of this RPM and ensures it is suitable based upon temperature conditions.

·
Registered
646 Posts
You have to remember that while the engine may still be "warm" after 25-30 minutes the catalytic converter certainly is not still 300 degrees C so that's going to be part of the higher revs.

Reactions: Robert.Mauro

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
See below notes from SOA:

https://www.subaru.ca/WebPage.aspx?W...ebPageID=21813

4. Engine Revving Higher When Cold
The optimal operating temperature for power output, fuel efficiency, and reduced emissions for Boxer Engines ranges from 84 °C to 100 °C.

The Catalytic Converter which is the main exhaust emissions control device also require a minimum temperature of 300 °C before it can operate efficiently.

The Engine Control Module (ECM) and Transmission Control Module (TCM) work together to bring the engine and catalytic converter up to operating temperature as quickly as possible by using a lower gear ratio to increase engine RPM.

The Climate Control Module also transmits the desired interior temperature to the ECM, which may also increase the engine RPM to meet customer demands.

Note: You may become concerned the engine is revving too high when cold based upon past experiences. The ECM is in constant control of this RPM and ensures it is suitable based upon temperature conditions.
I wasn't aware of this. Thanks so much bmr and Zulater.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts