Subaru Ascent Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm having a issue where when I use the hold open latch on the pump, it will pump about 2 gallons, then the pump will auto shut off. Restart it, pumps about 2 gallons, pump will auto shut off again. I've tried 3 different gas stations, and at least 2 different pumps at each station. Anyone else having an issue similar to this? I've resorted to leaving the vehicle in accessory mode, so that I can check the gas gauge to see when it is actually full.

·
Registered
2019 Ascent Premium
366 Posts
I'm having a issue where when I use the hold open latch on the pump, it will pump about 2 gallons, then the pump will auto shut off. Restart it, pumps about 2 gallons, pump will auto shut off again. I've tried 3 different gas stations, and at least 2 different pumps at each station. Anyone else having an issue similar to this? I've resorted to leaving the vehicle in accessory mode, so that I can check the gas gauge to see when it is actually full.
I, for one, have never encountered this in close to 4,000 miles of driving. I guess it’s possible that there could be something amiss with the fuel filler neck leading the length down to the tank, which is why I would suggest taking it to the dealer so they can look at it.

·
Registered
965 Posts
I've had to fill up quite literally thousands of cars over the years, including more than 50 Ascents with their first fill-ups. (And some after the Ascent ran out of gas between here and the gas station - pushing an Ascent is a pain in the butt!) None of them have given me a problem. Now, personal vehicles on trips in other metro areas, that's a different story.

Do your pumps have the spring loaded rubber cover on them for vapor recovery? I've seen that in the St. Louis area - those pumps are a complete pain in the butt to use, with trying to push the nozzle in far enough. Other than that, it's just make sure you have the nozzle all the way in, so that the rubber splash deflector is touching the car.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Do your pumps have the spring loaded rubber cover on them for vapor recovery?
From googling that, I don't believe that is what we have. There is a large spring on it, but it is visible, I am guessing that is simply to keep the nozzle from going into the fill neck too far. Up near the handle there is a large round piece of rubber, but it doesn't seat against the filler neck, seems more like a splash shield. Guess I will need to make a call to the dealer to get it looked at. Its a pain to fill the tank.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Stupid question, but have you tried filling it with the nozzle less than wide open? I have only filled our Ascent a couple of times, and not sure that I had any issues (wife drives it and does most of the gas purchasing for it), however, I have a Toyota FJ and this is a notorious problem on the FJ (filler neck angle along with fast pumps causes frequent shut off). I just try and fill it with the flow about half open on the nozzles at the faster pumps.

Just a thought, and again, not specific to the Ascent.

·
Registered
1,115 Posts
I don’t have the problem. Be careful not to overfill and create problems for the emission control system. There must be something wrong. After all you tried several different pumps and stations. I would definitely go to the dealer and have them check it out. Be sure and go with an empty tank and the more they try to replicate the issue the more free gas you get. Well I tried to find a silver lining...

·
Registered
225 Posts
I haven't had this problem on the Ascent but it happens at certain stations with our Hyundai Sonata. When the nozzle is inserted all the way in the autofill stops all the time. The trick is to allow more air. Pulling the nozzle out a little bit helps with that in the Hyundai.

·
Registered
98 Posts
What is the most gas anyone has put into their Ascent?
I have let the tank run down to empty, the warning showing 10 miles or less. I have never been able to put more than 17+ gallons into the car, which has a 19.3 gallon capacity.
Is that last gallon+ just an extra 20+ miles for a safety cushion?
BTW, never had the shutoff problem.

·
Registered
559 Posts
I've had the shutoff problem on occasion. I think it has to do with the evaporative recirculation nozzle. Like the other poster stated, you can usually pull the nozzle out a little bit or back off the flow rate. That's worked for me each and every time. I attribute it to the evaporative system being misadjusted.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I have tried to use the half open auto hold feature before, and it still shuts off. I only drive about 25 miles a day, so a tank of gas usually lasts awhile. Next time I fill up, I will try the other suggestions. If I am still having the issue, I will make an appointment to have it looked at. If it becomes intermittent at that point, I will ask them to look at it when I go in for my oil change. Thanks for the suggestions.

·
Registered
18 Posts
OP, just so you don’t feel so alone, wanted you to know that we have the same issue as well. It had been sporadic, but my wife said it’s been happening more frequently as of late. Ours is a ‘19 Touring, and when my wife took it to the dealership last week they were “unable to replicate the problem.” We were also advised to back the nozzle out a little bit when refueling. Haven’t tried it yet ourselves, but glad it is working for you.

Reactions: thegeeknme

·
Registered
81 Posts
Not to hijack the thread... But still on topic. :)
re: "What is the most gas anyone has put into their Ascent?"

11k miles... 39 fill ups... a few 17+ gal fills, most ever was 17.67gal and felt like I was really testing fate.

Fwiw

·
Registered
965 Posts
Not to hijack the thread... But still on topic. :)
re: "What is the most gas anyone has put into their Ascent?"

11k miles... 39 fill ups... a few 17+ gal fills, most ever was 17.67gal and felt like I was really testing fate.

Fwiw
See my post above about pushing the Ascent to the gas pump. 19 gallon fill-ups!

·
Registered
147 Posts
Personally the most I’ve had to fill the car was about 17 gallon. Even when the fill light first comes on and I push it a little while driving till the meddle mark is on E, I end up filling 16+ gallons. Either my system needs calibrating or the fill light comes on way too early.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts