Subaru Ascent Forum banner

Would You Like Sliding Doors on the Ascent?

• 💚 Holy crap! That would be amazing!

Votes: 10 24.4%
  • 🤔 Maybe. I could take it or leave it.

Votes: 6 14.6%
  • 😡 You want them to do WHAT to my beautiful SUV!?!?!

Votes: 25 61.0%

• Total voters
41 - 53 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
OK, this is going to sound really weird, but if there is any company that would take the leap it is Subaru. Here in a the US most modern families (🙋‍♂️) will shun the obvious functional superiority of a minivan for the gratifying/aesthetic benefits of an SUV. However, that doesn't mean that SUVs can't take a page or two from the minivan book. Specifically sliding doors would give numerous advantages for families. I can't tell you how many times I have wished I had them in our cramped garage while putting our kids into the car. For those who get the ascent without family hauling in mind, they would quickly see that the positives carry over to virtually any use case.

In summary, just think about how good this would sound and how much of a splash it would make in the industry:

"The all new 2024 Subaru Ascent. The first SUV with sliding doors."

View attachment 5494
Note: This is just a random picture I found online.
No way. I wouldn't drive anything with a minivan look anymore than I would sport a mullet. I would NEVER have bought the Ascent if it had a sliding door. Now the reviewer with the Lambo door comment, that would be cool.

Maybe I'm not being clear. I'm not trying to make the Ascent a minivan. I'm trying to make it an SUV with sliding doors. Sliding Doors does not equal minivan.
You're probably cooler than the rest of us so you are able to pull off anything that hints at being a minivan. I'm getting old. I need all the help I can get to not appear to be someone who has simply given up. You're also a nicer parent. The sliding door is easier for kids.

That would be a big no!!! That is the stupidest Idea I have ever seen!!!! I travel with my 2 male Standard Poodles and my female Weimaraner-Standard Poodle mix in my Touring Model Ascent. I like the plain doors that just open and close like regular car doors! I sure as HOLY HELL don’t want mini-van sliding doors to screw up their routine their when they get in and out of my Ascent!!! And I sure as HOLY HELL don’t want to drive a minivan type of vehicle!!!! I have been a Subaru driver since I got my Loyale Wagon when they first came on the market.
I do not support a door change, but I do support intelligent, polite responses. Maybe you should reread you comment and repost.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Wow, I didn't know people felt so strongly about sliding doors. They don't have to look too different from standard doors when closed. Have you ever tried them? Super convenient and the worry of parking lot door dings is much less. You don't have to like them. It just sounds like some people would rather walk on Legos for eternity.

·
Registered
1,791 Posts
Wow, I didn't know people felt so strongly about sliding doors. They don't have to look too different from standard doors when closed. Have you ever tried them? Super convenient and the worry of parking lot door dings is much less. You don't have to like them. It just sounds like some people would rather walk on Legos for eternity.
Only the worry about making dings is less. Sliding doors are still just as susceptible to receiving dings 😉
Sliding doors are great for convenience. The track on the side of the vehicle kinda gives away the fact it has them.

·
Registered
569 Posts
If I could get a Honda Odyssey or Kia Sedona with enough ground clearance to make it up to our lake in the winter, I would have gone that route. Unfortunately no SUV in this class has the space or practicality of a van. And conversely, no minivan has the ground clearance of an SUV in this category.

It's all a trade off. I still would prefer a van under almost any other circumstance...

·
Registered
2020 Ascent Touring
322 Posts
Anyone who rags on sliding doors never had to park in crowded urban areas. My company minivan would regularly get boxed into tight spots that there'd be no way to get back in if it weren't for the sliding doors or tailgate. Sliding doors are much more graceful than climbing over all the equipment stored in the back but I could use the slider if there was barely a foot of space.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Only the worry about making dings is less. Sliding doors are still just as susceptible to receiving dings 😉
Sliding doors are great for convenience. The track on the side of the vehicle kinda gives away the fact it has them.
Oh, for sure. I had to have "regular doors school" with the kids when we went from Odyssey to Ascent. They were flinging them open like crazy... gave me a few heart attacks. Occasionally the wind will catch them like a sail also. I put some thick edge trim on the doors just as a last ditch effort.

·
Registered
8 Posts
OK, this is going to sound really weird, but if there is any company that would take the leap it is Subaru. Here in a the US most modern families (🙋‍♂️) will shun the obvious functional superiority of a minivan for the gratifying/aesthetic benefits of an SUV. However, that doesn't mean that SUVs can't take a page or two from the minivan book. Specifically sliding doors would give numerous advantages for families. I can't tell you how many times I have wished I had them in our cramped garage while putting our kids into the car. For those who get the ascent without family hauling in mind, they would quickly see that the positives carry over to virtually any use case.

In summary, just think about how good this would sound and how much of a splash it would make in the industry:

"The all new 2024 Subaru Ascent. The first SUV with sliding doors."

View attachment 5494
Note: This is just a random picture I found online.
I have a 2020 also, I am envisioning that sliding door being able to clear that 3rd row sufficiently for a human to get by it without major re tooling. I don't know about you, but I am a bit disappointed with the Ascent's 3rd row as it is today. Yes I knew it wasn't an adjustable 3rd row but went for it any way. My thought was I'd use it for few occasions my two adult kids and spouses are visiting but I must admit that even for short (around town going out for a quick meal) its not very accomodating for adults at all. So, I say forget the slider doors.....

·
Registered
569 Posts
The Ascent, compared to a number of other cars in its class, has doors that open much wider, so access is generally easier in the second row (provided you have room to open the doors all the way). The drawback is, like you said, pushing the doors open a little too far, or having the wind catch them and do a number on the car next to you. Fortunately I haven't had that happen yet. My kids are older, so having them wildly swing the doors open all the time is much less of an issue than it would have been 5 or 10 years ago.

·
Registered
1,791 Posts
I am a bit disappointed with the Ascent's 3rd row as it is today.
Have you tried other similar SUV’s, especially any that are slightly smaller but still have 7 seats? At least our 2nd row slides forward. The kids crawl into the 3rd row of my wife’s Sorento thru the trunk!

·
Registered
569 Posts
The third row isn't big, but, I think it's bigger than most of the competition out there, and access is relatively easy. And when you can open the doors fully, access is pretty easy to the second or third row. And those little handles on the inside of the second row seats on the touring model seem to make things much easier getting to the third row on the occasions where I can't flip the seats forward for access. My kids also like to hang their backpacks or bags on them when we're on a road trip so they can access things easily.

·
Registered
2019 Ascent Touring (CWP)
2,284 Posts
I agree with Percy...Ascent isn't bad compared to other choices relative to third row access and comfort. But any mid-size SUV with a third row isn't going to be "amazing" relative to access and comfort for that third row. Even with the stretched body to extend the body front to back, there's still a limited amount of space available. "It is what it is."

·
Registered
1,791 Posts
What’s this about minivans being more practical? 😂
A901BC7D-86FC-4E5B-9696-EC4B430CE0AE.jpeg

There’s a high-back booster and a rear facing baby seat in the 2nd row; kids have no problem accessing the 3rd row

·
Registered
133 Posts
Have you tried other similar SUV’s, especially any that are slightly smaller but still have 7 seats?
Agreed, we brought the family car-shopping and tried all the competition including climbing in and out of the third row. I was on the fence between Ascent and Pilot but couldn't get the 2nd row captains chairs unless I went for the high-dollar trim levels. Having a 2nd row bench made 3rd row access much more difficult. Sealed the deal.

41 - 53 of 53 Posts