Subaru Ascent Forum banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
561 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've noticed the Ascent gets pushed around by the wind more than my previous tow vehicles.
Any anyone install a larger sway bar in the rear to combat this?

·
Registered
597 Posts
Are you talking about when you tow or just in general? If you are talking about when you tow how heavy was your last to vehicles compared to the Ascent.

As far as when not towing I think the Ascent is great at not moving around in high winds. Especially on some of the bridges near me where people complain about the wind (I did in my old Xterra) I have no issues with the Ascent.

·
Super Moderator
2,570 Posts
There are links buried in here for sway bar bushings but as far as I know nobody has an aftermarket sway bar yet.
I also towed an ~3500lb trailer in high winds, though mostly headwind, and didn’t notice any sway.

·
Registered
791 Posts
Definitely noticed the car moving around in crosswinds. My old GLS 450 and Honda Odyssey were rock solid in the wind. My Ascent also doesn't like to track straight on the highway at about 65 mph and above(constantly requires steering corrections). Had three alignments done to no avail. Happens with winter and factory wheels and tires. Don't know what to do from here

·
Registered
561 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Are you talking about when you tow or just in general? If you are talking about when you tow how heavy was your last to vehicles compared to the Ascent.

As far as when not towing I think the Ascent is great at not moving around in high winds. Especially on some of the bridges near me where people complain about the wind (I did in my old Xterra) I have no issues with the Ascent.
When towing primarily and last vehicles where in the same class. Had an Enclave and Acadia. Having to make a lot of corrections on the highway when towing and gets tiring after several hours in the wind.
I think it's the sway bar as the rear end really feels loose.

·
Registered
561 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I really think a Sway bar that is 2mm-3mm bigger would do wonders for this thing.
Subaru likes to force under steer as that's more comfortable for most drivers especially in the snow. I think neutral to slight over steer is better for a tow rig and better in general for an AWD car.

·
Registered
561 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Sway bar swap would take all of 15min. I'm thinking an STI way bar might just work and offer the size needed for this heavy rig.

Reactions: carlover01

·
Administrator
11,090 Posts
Where's your tire pressure? I've played with mine and gotten slightly better results. Too high seemed worse.

Oddly, lowering my seat seemed to help, but I think that was because I had it all the way up, which exaggerated the feel of every gust or curve.

·
Super Moderator
2019 Ascent Touring (CWP)
4,165 Posts
I recently completed a 2800 mile round trip with my Ascent Touring and didn't notice any major adverse wind issues, even with some of the very nasty weather I hit in north east Florida as I was leaving the state...I'm talking monsoon rain and wind here which slowed traffic to about 30 mph on the Interstate. Maybe it moves a little more than my previous (and 500 lbs heavier) Grand Cherokee did, but not by much. Some of this has to be expected with a larger SUV because of the larger surface area as compared to something a lot more streamlined. Nature of the beast, IMHO.

·
Registered
561 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Where's your tire pressure? I've played with mine and gotten slightly better results. Too high seemed worse.

Oddly, lowering my seat seemed to help, but I think that was because I had it all the way up, which exaggerated the feel of every gust or curve.
Messed with tire pressure a bit. I adjust depending on tongue weight and how long of a road trip. Anywhere between 35 and about 45psi for the rear and usually don't mess with the front too much. If I don't trade this thing in for the new Explorer I'm going to see if i can swap out the sway bar and see what happens. The rear just feels disconnected

My seat is as low as she goes as i need the headroom.

·
Administrator
11,090 Posts
I found lower side is better, which baffled me, but coincides with handling problems people have reported when their dealer forgets to lower the air pressure during PDI.

On that note, the Falkens are rated to full vehicle load, including tongue weight, at door placard psi. If you are running other tires, I dunno if or how much you need to add extra air.

·
Registered
926 Posts
Yes, if you're running 45psi on the rear, that's going to make it squirrely for sure. Try 35 and you should feel much better.

I was driving 100mph in Texas with crazy winds blowing and it was smooth and predictable (I wasn't towing though).

My Financee's Tesla 3 is also a bit squirrely and the tire pressures seem high at 45psi each. Haven't remembered to check the door placard, but I bet I need to take at least 8psi out of them and it will go away.

BTW, you DO NOT need to add pressure in the rear when towing. The tires are definitely rated for the load at the PSI that is on the door placard. And if you think about it you're only adding 400lbs to the rear or so. Simlar to having 2 large adults in the back row (or 3 of us skinny guys)

Reactions: Robert.Mauro

·
Registered
926 Posts
Here's a good diagram that shows the problem.

Reactions: Robert.Mauro

·
Super Moderator
2019 Ascent Touring (CWP)
4,165 Posts
1 - 20 of 31 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.