Subaru Ascent Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
160 Posts
My 2015 Ford Flex will turn off after 15 or 20 minutes of idle time, when the car is in park. Sometimes on road trips I get tired and pull off for a quick nap to recharge. I didn’t know the car did this and I woke to it beeping. It provides a countdown and you can press a button to reset the timer (it acts a bit like an alarm clock for me in those situations). I assumed that this was done for environmental reasons but now see even better logic behind it.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Subaru has joined other manufacturers and does give an audible alert if you exit the car while running. Not every manufacturer does.

As an SUV, I can think of use cases for and against an auto shutdown feature.

Also consider the many other CO sources in homes.... many states require fire and CO detectors which should be part of managing this risk.

·
Banned
146 Posts
Carbon monoxide is a problem no matter where you park your car. The only way to protect yourself from it is to have a carbon monoxide detector.
Not having one in your house leave you expose to a risk.

Believe it or not, there are cases where one single family home have a bad gas heater that pumped the room soo full of Carbon Monoxide that it travel through the pipes into the next door neighbors home killing a child. In another case Carbon monoxide traveled through a brick wall and killed the another child next door.

If you don't want to die from Carbon monoxide then you will need carbon monoxide detector with your smoke detector. Alot of people die in fires before the smoke alarm goes off do to carbon monoxide.

·
Registered
236 Posts
I wouldn't attribute those deaths to the keyless system. A driver that leaves a car and doesn't realize it's running would most likely walk out of the car running even with the old system, leaving the key in the ignition. Blaming the manufacturer for human negligence or incompetence is not right in my opinion. A driver needs to be trained and qualified to operate the vehicle, and be conscious of the dangers of the vehicle he's operating (both when in motion AND inside the garage). Isn't that why they require driver licenses?

·
Registered
236 Posts
Regarding a timer, I think a timer when the key is NOT in the vehicle is fine, except if you left your dogs in the car with the AC running in hot weather. If you leave a kid alone you should be in jail, but dogs I don't know if it's a problem with the law (I don't have a dog).
If the key is detected in the vehicle, it should not stop running because the driver is likely inside and he's in control of the vehicle. Remote start already has a timer, but once it's authorized by the presence of the key and pressing the start button it should be disabled even if the vehicle remains in park for a long time.
Many times my kid falls asleep in the car and I have to stay in the vehicle while the wife does some shopping. If I fall asleep as well and a timer shuts off the AC could be very dangerous for the baby, then I would sue the manufacturer for having the timer! Let's hope they don't come up with a dumb law that makes all cars stop by themselves. In the south more kids die because of being left in hot cars than by carbon monoxide, there's no solution that fits all cases.

·
Registered
150 Posts
Interesting article. I can relate to the habits part of the article. My daily drivers have been sticks since 1992. In an automatic car, I always turn the ignition off first and then realize I didn't put the car in park. With our Subarus, the fact that technology (base 6speed manual vs. Limited) wise they are so different, I go through a mental checklist to make sure things are off and in park/gear prior to exiting the vehicle.

I think our Subaru engines are not that quiet and is probably amplified in our garage. I don't think we would miss the engine running. Now at 60 with a hearing condition (generally speaking, I don't believe the articles states he had a condition), maybe. I would hope that just adding the ability to remind people with disabilities that the engine is on would be a matter of adding of few lines of code (flashing lights or something visual, Starlink Alert). If you don't need it, turn it off on the head unit.

·
Registered
1,535 Posts
I don’t have a garage but I’m pretty sure it would be hard to walk away from this engine running inside a garage.
Either way those beeps when the keys are still inside as you walk away are annoying enough to alert anyone that something isn’t right. I’m kind of thankful the engine doesn’t just turn off after a period of time idling.

·
Super Moderator
6,795 Posts
The article kind of implies that the vehicle was auto started from the FOB (potentially unintentionally?).

Regardless, the Ascent has a fixed 10 minute run time timeout for FOB based start (for those who have the accessory installed and can do FOB based start) and a programmable 5 or 10 minute run time for app based start. No external start method exceeds a ten minute run time on the Ascent.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts