Subaru Ascent Forum banner
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Greetings,
Here is my story, We leased a 2019 Subaru Ascent, next month (June 2022) the lease is coming due. Due to the issues of getting a new car, we decided to purchase it now before the end of the lease. Before we went to the dealer, I shopped around on the internet to purchase a Subaru Gold Plus Warranty from another dealer, I found one selling one for (10 year 100k for $1650) or (8 year 120K for $2020). So I was ready to haggle with the dealer when I got there. When we talked about it, he said you are not allowed to purchase a warranty from an out of state dealer. I was upset, since I didn't know what the rules were, and the other dealer I was going to purchase it from didn't inform me about that. So we purchased the warranty direct from that dealer at a higher price.

Does anyone know if that is true that I can't purchase it from another dealer (out of state). I am going to contact Subaru to find out what the story is. If the dealer was lying to me, I will cancel the warranty and get a warranty through the other dealer.

I did this on my Honda, and I didn't have any issues, I got the paperwork from honda, etc.

Thank You.

·
Registered
2019 Ascent Limited, 2015 WRX, 2022 OB Onyx
4,440 Posts
The first issue is whether you can purchase the gold plus plan at all. In order to do so the vehicle must still be within the original 3yr/36000 mile warranty. If you pass go with that threshold, then yes you can buy the gold plus plan from numerous out of area dealers including those out of state. use the advanced search tool on the forum to identify some of those and the prices.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
the first issue is whether you can purchase the gold plus plan at all. In order to do so the vehicle must still be within the original 3yr/36000 mile warranty. If you pass go with that threshold, then yes you can buy the gold plus plan from numerous out of area dealers including those out of state. use the advanced search tool on the forum to identify some of those and the prices.
Thanks. As stated, the lease is up June 2022, so it is still under 3/36. I know the prices already as stated. The issue/question is if I live in NJ am I allowed to purchase a warranty from a dealer like say in Arizona etc. Was the dealer lying to me to get the $$. I didn't want to add to an OLD thread and so one get annoyed at me for opening an old thread. MY question is specific to purchasing a warranty out of state. I will be calling Subaru about this, and if they said yes, that I can buy it from any Subaru dealer in/out of state, I will making a complaint to the dealer, BBB etc if he lied

·
Registered
2019 Subaru Ascent Limited 2010 Subaru Legacy GT limited
829 Posts
Thanks. As stated, the lease is up June 2022, so it is still under 3/36. I know the prices already as stated. The issue/question is if I live in NJ am I allowed to purchase a warranty from a dealer like say in Arizona etc. Was the dealer lying to me to get the $$. I didn't want to add to an OLD thread and so one get annoyed at me for opening an old thread. MY question is specific to purchasing a warranty out of state. I will be calling Subaru about this, and if they said yes, that I can buy it from any Subaru dealer in/out of state, I will making a complaint to the dealer, BBB etc if he lied
Subaru updated their policy to make buying a warranty from a local dealer mandatory unfortunately. Probably due to competition from out of area dealers, this has been discussed at length on the forum and has it's own thread. I'll link it if I can find it.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Subaru updated their policy to make buying a warranty from a local dealer mandatory unfortunately. Probably due to competition from out of area dealers, this has been discussed at length on the forum and has it's own thread. I'll link it if I can find it.
Thanks for the info. The other dealer I was thinking of purchasing it from did not inform me about this. This dealer was from Arizona. I see some stuff on the form, but they are from 2018 etc.. so things can change, so this is why i made a new thread.

·
Registered
2019 Subaru Ascent Limited 2010 Subaru Legacy GT limited
829 Posts
Thanks for the info. The other dealer I was thinking of purchasing it from did not inform me about this. This dealer was from Arizona. I see some stuff on the form, but they are from 2018 etc.. so things can change, so this is why i made a new thread.
I know a few people have gotten specific dealers to sell them the warranty, but it seems to be on a case by case basis. When I inquired I was told I had to purchase it locally.

·
Registered
4,440 Posts
#1 - The lease term is different than the original warranty. you can call SOA or determine in another way when the vehicle went into service. Your mileage is probably the controlling element in this scenario. Yes you can buy out of state or anywhere with a willing dealer. I did for my 2019 Ascent and I plan on doing the same with my 22' OB Onyx. As I stated search the forum. I and others have already posted details about this option.

Subaru did initiate that restriction fairly recently but there were many exceptions and at this point Subaru has not bothered to restrict dealers. i bought mine from a dealer I never saw, and who is located five a hour drive from my location (over the phone and internet). My location already has many Subaru dealers. I could also buy from a dealer in NJ and a few others come to mind. The dealer may or may not be lying. He may simply not know the changes that have occurred. I would not waste your time complaining. Just identify a dealer who has a good price for the specific plan that you want.

·
Super Moderator
2019 Ascent Touring (CWP)
5,261 Posts
Subaru updated their policy to make buying a warranty from a local dealer mandatory
Clarification... "local" means within your market area. But yes, no "cross country" extended service contract trade anymore...for nearly two years now.

·
Registered
4,440 Posts
Clarification... "local" means within your market area. But yes, no "cross country" extended service contract trade anymore...for nearly two years now.
not true Jim. Despite the official statements, certain dealerships have either received explicit permission to sell outside their area and some are doing so despite the stated policy with zero repercussions.

·
Super Moderator
5,261 Posts
Very confusing when there is conflicting information. That said, I just bought mine from Liberty in NJ...they are a forum sponsor and the cost for 7/100/0 was under two grand.

·
Registered
2022 Ascent Onyx, Ice Silver
395 Posts
Greetings,
Here is my story, We leased a 2019 Subaru Ascent, next month (June 2022) the lease is coming due. Due to the issues of getting a new car, we decided to purchase it now before the end of the lease. Before we went to the dealer, I shopped around on the internet to purchase a Subaru Gold Plus Warranty from another dealer, I found one selling one for (10 year 100k for $1650) or (8 year 120K for $2020). So I was ready to haggle with the dealer when I got there. When we talked about it, he said you are not allowed to purchase a warranty from an out of state dealer. I was upset, since I didn't know what the rules were, and the other dealer I was going to purchase it from didn't inform me about that. So we purchased the warranty direct from that dealer at a higher price.

Does anyone know if that is true that I can't purchase it from another dealer (out of state). I am going to contact Subaru to find out what the story is. If the dealer was lying to me, I will cancel the warranty and get a warranty through the other dealer.

I did this on my Honda, and I didn't have any issues, I got the paperwork from honda, etc.

Thank You.
I am not an authority, but it seems that if any authorized Subaru Retailer sells you an SoA Gold Plan VSC, it will be honored. SoA may have disapproving words with the out of state dealer but that is between them, not you. You bought the official, authentic product from an authorized agent in good faith. VSCs have traditionally been a cash cow for the Finance Dept and they want to protect that. Realistically, they have no cash investment as in capital goods (cars, parts, etc) and anything they make over net cost is pure gravy. I negotialted with my dealer after showing quotes from other dealers and got the Gold Plus 10/100/0 for $2051 (he started at $2800). He claimed his cost was $2050 and he can't sell below cost....maybe BS, who knows, but competitive with other quotes and I prefer to buy from my local guy when possible.

Reactions: packout

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I am not an authority, but it seems that if any authorized Subaru Retailer sells you an SoA Gold Plan VSC, it will be honored. SoA may have disapproving words with the out of state dealer but that is between them, not you. You bought the official, authentic product from an authorized agent in good faith. VSCs have traditionally been a cash cow for the Finance Dept and they want to protect that. Realistically, they have no cash investment as in capital goods (cars, parts, etc) and anything they make over net cost is pure gravy. I negotialted with my dealer after showing quotes from other dealers and got the Gold Plus 10/100/0 for $2051 (he started at $2800). He claimed his cost was $2050 and he can't sell below cost....maybe BS, who knows, but competitive with other quotes and I prefer to buy from my local guy when possible.
I just got off the phone from Subaru (800-932-0636). You have to purchase the gold contract within the state you live in.

·
Registered
112 Posts
A pity as well, nobody in my state seemed very interested in negotiating pricing on it. Ranged from 2900(!) to 2150. Le sigh. Although the few I call out of state seemed agreeable to sell it to me. shrug

·
Registered
2022 Ascent Onyx, Ice Silver
395 Posts
A pity as well, nobody in my state seemed very interested in negotiating pricing on it. Ranged from 2900(!) to 2150. Le sigh. Although the few I call out of state seemed agreeable to sell it to me. shrug
I'd be curious to see if they (SoA) would actually void the VSC if purchased from out of state. That would require a refund and be bad PR in general. The selling dealer might get a finger wag or tongue lashing from corporate, but I doubt that they would go after the consumer.

I would want to see the policy in an official SoA document. In the past, the verbal position from SoA has been vague (must be in "the market area"). The State Insurance Commissioner angle makes more sense.

·
Super Moderator
5,261 Posts
I just got off the phone from Subaru (800-932-0636). You have to purchase the gold contract within the state you live in.
I suspect that the CSR misspoke since many of us have (recently) purchased from the next state over, given it's well within our market area for folks to buy vehicles. I literally bought from Liberty in NJ last week (they are a forum sponsor) and I'd consider buying our next Subaru from them in a few years, too, even though we are in SE PA.

Reactions: Packard8

·
Registered
112 Posts
I just talked with a F&I guy while picking up the Onyx and he gave me some side-eye when I mentioned this. He's never heard of such a policy, and has sold them across state lines with no issue.

He was even agreeable for me to post some pricing and his contact info here if people were interested. I don't have it yet, I'll see if I can get that from him this week.

·
Registered
4,440 Posts
SOA has given certain dealers the permission to sell outside their area and it is a fact that many dealers have sold outside their area, permission or not. I can read posts here and other Subaru forums documenting this.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts