Subaru Ascent Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
611 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've searched the internet and can't find anything. Does anyone know if we can purchase an additional key fob at a "reasonable" price elsewhere? I'm buying the Touring and for this 'spare', I would not need all the bells and whistles. Just something to open the door and start the engine.

·
Registered
24 Posts
I've searched the internet and can't find anything. Does anyone know if we can purchase an additional key fob at a "reasonable" price elsewhere? I'm buying the Touring and for this 'spare', I would not need all the bells and whistles. Just something to open the door and start the engine.
With a push button start there is no such thing as a reasonably priced spare key. At least that I’ve found.

·
Registered
19 Posts
With a push button start there is no such thing as a reasonably priced spare key. At least that I’ve found.
Is it not true that for most cars (including Subarus), there can only be two operational key fobs at a time? Hence, having a third "spare" is not possible because the car can only remember two key fobs at a time?

·
Registered
1,144 Posts
You need to find this person's locksmith: post #16. I imagine the Outback and the Ascent would be pretty much the same. I see the poster is located in California.

https://www.subaruoutback.org/forums/138-gen-5-2015-2019/464161-cost-new-key-fob-programming-2.html

"I bought 3 blank emergency keys off Ebay for $7.99 each for my 2018 OB Limited. My locksmith cut the 3 emergency keys for $25. He was unable to distinguish the Ebay key from the original. The keys work.

He said he could also do the fob programming for another $25 total for all fobs. He said it was necessary to bring in all fobs because all fobs would be programmed with a new random security code. He recommended buying the fobs off Ebay again. I did not get this done (yet). So, I cannot verify he could do it. I do not doubt he could, because he has not lied to me yet.

Note, this is a rare locksmith. Of the 20 locksmiths I called, he was the only one who said he could cut and program. I think he has some sort of personal grudge against dealerships. By the way, if a non-dealer locksmith could not cut or program, I would not be getting extra keys made. I dislike interacting with the dealer that much
."

·
Registered
1,407 Posts
Try to look for Forester or Outback one; I think they're the same as Ascent. If Subaru technology is similar to Toyota/Lexus, you have to get a brand new one. You also need to find someone to program it, like dealer or locksmith.

·
Registered
184 Posts
I own three(3) keys for all my vehicles ...

2015 Outback - 3 keys

2018 Outback - 3 keys

2019 Ascent - I paid for 3 and have possession of 2. Unsure why there is a delay but logic suggests the Ascent key is not just a 'Subaru fob' internally ...

And I just buy them through the dealer. Why? Because if I don't 'program' them to the vehicle correctly I have a $45k paperweight in my garage - which I now have to tow to the dealer.

·
Administrator
11,959 Posts
NO NO NO NO... Please read...

Hi, do NOT just buy extra key fobs, they will NOT do what you want.

Buy the Remote Start option. You must have the remote start option for any of the key fobs to start the car. Once you do that, you will have FOUR fobs total. Two regular FOBs, two remote start FOBs. If you want additional regular FOBs, purchase them WITH the vehicle purchase/remote start option installation, so they can program them at the same time and save you money.

You can remote start the vehicle from any of the FOBs. And, I think the Remote Start FOBs will allow you to open the door by touching the inside of the handle (I will try that tonight).

·
Registered
590 Posts
We had a 16 legacy for some reason unknown to us because we never tried to add key fobs suddenly would not recognise the 2 fobs we had. Leaving us stranded. Towed to the dealer and they literally tried everything to fix it, even flew an engineer in to try and shoubleshoot it. Changed the control module twice (hence how I learned you could program 4 fobs) but nothing worked. It would start one time and then forget it all again and lock the car up. After a month in the shop and us in a loaner Subaru reached out to us to repurchase the car under lemon law or replace. I chose the buyback because I was so upset a new car would do this. Purchased a 17 pathfinder that was full of issues and already got rid of it and now ordered the ascent! We are giving Subaru another chance but after going through all of that I would never attempt to add a key fob or anything unless Subaru done the work! If you screw it up or a locksmith and then Subaru can’t fix it, your going to be out ALOT of money! Just my 2 cents for what it’s worth!

·
Registered
147 Posts
i learned about key fobs and dealer gouging the hard way with my 2011 odyssey they were to charge me $750 fob + "programing"--a big nope-- my valet key works just fine gave it to my MIL and she just fine with the last fob and valet key
now i include a third key fob in my negotiations so all my new subaru have a third key fob :)

·
Registered
17 Posts
Hi, do NOT just buy extra key fobs, they will NOT do what you want.

Buy the Remote Start option. You must have the remote start option for any of the key fobs to start the car. Once you do that, you will have FOUR fobs total. Two regular FOBs, two remote start FOBs.
Note: Robert has posted over 11,000 times, with tons of accurate (if carefully read) information, and I think this is my post 6. But, I want to clarify that while in the above scenario you will have FOUR fobs total... only TWO of them (the ones that came with your car) will unlock or drive the car. The two remote start fobs only remotely start the car (they call them "long range" - up to 400 feet). I think I read this post too quickly my first time, and was reading what I "wanted to hear" and was happy to hear of the "inexpensive way" to get extra "key fobs" and remote start to boot. Wrong. The remote start option is good for remote start. It doesn't get you any extra key fobs that can be used to unlock the car or drive the car, which is what I was looking for when I read this thread.

·
Super Moderator
2019 Ascent Touring (CWP)
5,265 Posts
^^ This is correct. The long range remote start fobs only do remote start. They do not authenticate to the vehicle for actual opening/driving.

Reactions: Robert.Mauro

·
Registered
147 Posts
all my recent cars at the time of purchase i negotiate for a 3rd key fob. when iright had my 2011 odyssey i needed a new one and since only the dealer can program it, it was $750 7 years ago.
now they offer extended warranties to cover loss of key fob but they're only $100-200 dealer cost so big profit margin

as far as remote start--get the program negotiate a great price at time of purchase (mine 7 years $210 for remote everything using the subaru app) hate the key fob version, losing it is a pain and doesn't give you the flexibility of the app, e.g. start your car right after the plane lands or remote lock your daughters car when she is 2 hours away.

·
Registered
17 Posts
as far as remote start--get the program negotiate a great price at time of purchase (mine 7 years $210 for remote everything using the subaru app)
Yes, I'd like that option, I'm a tech guy, but, it's a 2022 and I live in Massachusetts so Subaru isn't offering Starlink subscriptions. There's a post somewhere in this forum.
There's a (good) Mass law (right to repair) that Subaru decided to comply with by disabling Starlink. Eventually, I'm confident they'll get past that and offer the subscriptions.
So, we'll live with archaic remote start for now, and remember to negotiate in a 3rd fob at purchase. I do like the remote start, klunky or no, it's the first time we've ever had them.
I did actually talk to my dealer and they're giving me a very good deal on a 3rd real key too. So, that's pretty good of them. :)

1 - 13 of 13 Posts