Subaru Ascent Forum banner

21 - 34 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
2020 Ascent Touring
322 Posts
Have you considered any of the other Micro Minnie models? Most of the others have dual axles with a greater GVWR.
I'm not looking at the Micro Minnie comparison chart right now but, I believe you can tell which have dual axles because of significantly higher GVWR while the gross weights are all very close to each other.

·
Administrator
7,953 Posts
Yep, and their page also lists axle count all the way down under "Specifications"

Short version is, everything but the 1700BH has 2 axles. It's the only single axle Micro Minnie.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
Thank you for the info and perspective. I called Winnebago today. The dry tongue weight includes the empty propane tanks, and the electric jack (I am not taking the electric jack off). It does not include any battery weight or the actual gas in the propane. GVWR us 4000 lbs /weight of cargo cannot exceed 720# that means 3,280 dry weight plus about 40 for the gas---#. If I add 400# (no water) then I am pulling 3680#. My hitch weight should be 404, right? That is assuming the hitch is level with the car and not pulling up the end of the trailer or tipping the front end of the trailer down. Does that tend to be a juggling act, or does the suspension pretty well maintain the level as long as it is under 500#.

My husband feels that if we go 8-11% and the trailer is level that should be the safest way to go. Otherwise, we might have to tip it down to get to 11% when it might be level at 9 or 10%. What is the rational for using 11% at the full weight of 4000 (400# hitch weight) regardless of how much or how little is cargo?

·
Administrator
7,953 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
This is a 2021. Single Axle. I just want to thank you so very much for all of your help. We are sending back over $300 for the electric sway bar that we not only did not need, but that could have caused safety issues. I will let that Subaru dealership know that they should stop recommending the electronic sway bar.

·
Registered
8 Posts
We have the 2020 1700BH. Staying below 500lbs tongue weight is a struggle. The front passthrough storage is huge but can be hard to maximize use without hitting the tongue weight limit. I have my cables, tools, sewer (minus the hose), water, and chocks in the passthrough. I then have my grill, chairs, and kids scooters under the bunks. On top of bunks I have clothing. I do not use the inside storage above the bed while traveling.

With about 5 gallons of water for on the road and kitchen stocked I’m right at 500lbs. My heaviest weight from the scales was 3780. If I traveled with a full tank of fresh water I might come up to the trailer’s max.

I towed it from Texas to Maryland and back. It did great going through the mountains.

It is a great trailer but difficult to take advantage of the storage while staying within the Ascent’s specs.

·
Registered
13 Posts
We have the 2020 1700BH. Staying below 500lbs tongue weight is a struggle. The front passthrough storage is huge but can be hard to maximize use without hitting the tongue weight limit. I have my cables, tools, sewer (minus the hose), water, and chocks in the passthrough. I then have my grill, chairs, and kids scooters under the bunks. On top of bunks I have clothing. I do not use the inside storage above the bed while traveling.

With about 5 gallons of water for on the road and kitchen stocked I’m right at 500lbs. My heaviest weight from the scales was 3780. If I traveled with a full tank of fresh water I might come up to the trailer’s max.

I towed it from Texas to Maryland and back. It did great going through the mountains.

It is a great trailer but difficult to take advantage of the storage while staying within the Ascent’s specs.
Hi, How are you measuring the tongue weight? 500lb seems a little high for a trailer with 4000lb GVW.

I ask because this is one of the trailers my wife is considering buying, as well as the 1708FB. Our 3 kids are grown, but we might take one or more of them with us occasionally, and so we have to decide between one that sleeps 3 or sleeps 5 in a pinch.

We haven't had a trailer in 20 years, and so I have to relearn a lot. We just signed the paperwork for our 2021 Ascent Touring, and pick it up this weekend. But we can't buy the trailer until our other car is paid off next summer, so we plan to rent a few trailers to see what we like in the meantime. Thanks!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Hi, How are you measuring the tongue weight? 500lb seems a little high for a trailer with 4000lb GVW.
I have measured tongue weight using the Cat Scales and also using a Sherline Tongue Scale. I can get it down to about 460, but that means putting stuff in the shower too.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Thanks for the info.

Back in the old days (over 20 yrs), when our vehicle had a 2000lb tow limit with 200lb tongue weight limit and we still used a trailer; we would sometimes adjust the tongue/ball height to help manage tongue weight if necessary with our pop up tent trailer (if our balancing act of storage in front of and behind the single axle “teeter totter” didn’t do the trick).

When you load up normally, with only 5 gallons of water to keep toungue weight at 500 or below, is your trailer tipped up or down at the tongue, or prefecly level?

Is Winnebago the problem for having a 12.5% tongue to GVR RATIO? I mean, should we be looking at a better trailer In terms of storage balancing over the axle?

·
Registered
2019 Ascent Touring (CWP)
2,284 Posts
we would sometimes adjust the tongue/ball height to help manage tongue weight if necessary
That unfortunately doesn't change the tongue weight unless there's liquid in the trailer that moves backwards as a result of raising the front of the trailer above level. But you don't want nose high for a trailer relative to stability.

·
Registered
13 Posts
That unfortunately doesn't change the tongue weight unless there's liquid in the trailer that moves backwards as a result of raising the front of the trailer above level. But you don't want nose high for a trailer relative to stability.
Our old trailer had water storage under the dining seat over the wheels, maybe that's why it helped.

·
Registered
1,184 Posts
Winnebago's engineers are telling me to lower the ball height to lessen the tongue weight, at least for a double-axle Micro Minne. Here is exactly what they said:

"Another thing the customer could do though is inspect their hitch height. Our tongue weights are set from a level unit meaning the coupler is 28 ½” off the ground. If the customer’s hitch is lower than that then the front torsion axle creates a pivot that puts more pressure on the axle but alleviates the load on the tongue."

I find this counterintuitive but very interesting. I'll be asking them more questions about this.

·
Registered
985 Posts
With a single axle, the pivot wrt to tongue load is the axle irrespective of what the suspension is doing. Dual axle, the sus can make some diff, though I don't think it'll be large.

The CG of a travel trailer is def higher than the frame, so lifting the ball up will move the CG rearward a bit and lowering the ball will move it forward a bit, respectively decreasing and increaseing the tongue load a bit, at least for a single axle.

The inertial force on the Ascent is directed from the CG of the trailer through the ball which is angled downward irrespective of the trailer being level, pitched up, or pitched down. Accelerating, this will lift some vertical load off the the ball. Braking it will increase the vertical load an the ball.

21 - 34 of 34 Posts