Subaru Ascent Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
495 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is just a friendly public service announcement regarding the battery life in the key fobs for those with a push start Ascent.

I own a 2017 Impreza with the same fob style. The build date is 4/17. Lately I have been getting the "battery low" indicator on the MFI about the fob. Now I have two fobs, just like in the Ascent. I keep one in the car (yeah I know what you think, but I don't care) and the other more than twice the recommended distance of 6.6ft away from the car. Even with swapping the fobs, I would still get the "batter low" warning when starting the vehicle away from my house. So, it seems to me that the battery life can be used up in about 32 months, which is near the manual's statement of 3 years. I know how to enter the car with the key, and also start the car with the fob if the battery is dead. If you do not know how to, please look in your manual.

At any rate, since I have 4 fobs and soon to be 6 fobs, I figured it was time to have some spare batteries on hand once these things start to die. I ordered the 10 pack from Amazon:
The replacement process takes all of a minute with a small flat head screwdriver. No need to go to the dealer. If people can keep jumper cables, spare wiper blades, a tow strap, etc....why not a spare fob battery on hand?

·
Registered
2019 Ascent Limited
800 Posts
I had to replace both of my FOB batteries at about 12 months for some reason. I was getting weirdness with the locks and intermittent starting problems. New batteries fixed it.

·
Registered
1,161 Posts
Cool that it's the very commonly available and widely used CR2032. I already have a bunch of those on hand. My previous cars used CR1632 batteries which were more difficult to find and not usefully in anything else I have.

·
Administrator
10,942 Posts
The replacement process takes all of a minute with a small flat head screwdriver. No need to go to the dealer. If people can keep jumper cables, spare wiper blades, a tow strap, etc....why not a spare fob battery on hand?
Excellent advice, but, no screwdriver is needed. The new FOBs come with everything needed except the battery for battery changes.

NOTE: when I reference top and bottom, I am refencing hanging position. Reverse those directions as necessary (I explain which I mean in the video)

·
Registered
1,115 Posts
RobertM, thanks for the video. I just replaced mine.

For everyone else, if you replace you key fob battery notice that Robert has his over a table surface. I highly recommend this after searching all over my chair and my person before finding the little shiny button with the horn on it. Thankfully I found it. Now I know why it is called the panic button!

·
Registered
2019 Subaru Ascent Touring (Canadian Edition) -- Ice Silver Metallic
110 Posts
If you're like me and only use one FOB. Turn off your spare FOB, and save the battery from excess drain. That way your spare should still work when you really need it (provided the lithium battery hasn't expired due to age).

Basically it turns off the little proximity radio beacon your FOB is constantly sending out.

·
Super Moderator
2,416 Posts
Today is day 1000 of owning my Ascent! Well, to remember this date it finally told me my fob battery is getting low. Thanks for posting the type of battery required so I didn’t have to search much!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts