Subaru Ascent Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
99% of the time, I walk up to my Ascent with keys in my pocket, grab the door handle and it will unlock. I find it awesome to never have to fumble for keys or the remote.

However when I visit my mother-in-laws, it never works there. I tried both driver and passenger doors, multiple times now. It doesn’t work. I have to use the unlock button on the key fob to get in.

Not sure why this is. I’m guessing some sort of radio interference? It’s the only place where this doesn’t work, and it happens every time I go there.

·
Registered
2019 Ascent Premium
366 Posts
I would say your assessment of RF interference of some type is correct. If that’s the case, short of removing the source of the interference, I guess there isn’t much that can be done (I doubt even wearing a tin-foil hat would help).

·
Registered
240 Posts
Try actually touching - the two "decorative" slits at the far left side of the door handle that are facing your body. That's the "trigger".
That is how you trigger locking the car... but are you sure they are related to unlocking also? I never touch them when unlocking my Ascent... I just reach in, pull the handle, and it unlocks. I normally grab it with my left hand, so my thumb is nowhere near those things...

(BTW... so many mother-in-law jokes to be made here... but mine is awesome, so I hate taking stabs at her!!)

·
Registered
646 Posts
That is how you trigger locking the car... but are you sure they are related to unlocking also? I never touch them when unlocking my Ascent... I just reach in, pull the handle, and it unlocks. I normally grab it with my left hand, so my thumb is nowhere near those things...

(BTW... so many mother-in-law jokes to be made here... but mine is awesome, so I hate taking stabs at her!!)
They are to lock and have nothing to do with unlocking.
I've had this happen a couple times. Once when my wife left her key in her purse and left it in the car. My remote in my pocket would not let me open the door but I could use the button. The other time the car was unlocked :facepalm:

·
Registered
584 Posts

Oops, you are right. Sorry. I deleted my post

·
Registered
965 Posts
They are to lock and have nothing to do with unlocking.
I've had this happen a couple times. Once when my wife left her key in her purse and left it in the car. My remote in my pocket would not let me open the door but I could use the button. The other time the car was unlocked :facepalm:
Speaking of leaving keys in a purse - at our family Thanksgiving get together during clean up, I took my wife's purse out to the car and put it in it, then without thinking hit the lock button on the door since I had MY fob in my pocket ... and it locked. I got halfway back into the house and went, wait, that shouldn't have happened.

Dug into her purse and found her keys were UNDER her cell phone - it was sitting exactly flat on top of her key fob and effectively and completely blocked the key fob.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts