Subaru Ascent Forum banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
597 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay so I have been bombarded with ads recently on Facebook for all types of car sprays that are supposed to be just spray on and wipe off. Has anyone tried these and do they work?

Some of the brands:
The Last Coat https://thelastcoat.store/
Hydrosilex Recharge https://www.hydrosilex.com/
F11 Top Coat https://topcoat.store/

I know there are others but I think these cover the ads I've seen the most. A lot of these look like they work in the videos but I'm still not sure.

Also I would not put this on my windshield due to the eyesight system.

So far I'm leaning toward The Last Coat or Hydrosilex. It looked like automotive soap took off the F11 in one of the videos I saw.

What are your thoughts??

·
Registered
224 Posts
Okay so I have been bombarded with ads recently on Facebook for all types of car sprays that are supposed to be just spray on and wipe off. Has anyone tried these and do they work?

Some of the brands:

I know there are others but I think these cover the ads I've seen the most. A lot of these look like they work in the videos but I'm still not sure.

So far I'm leaning toward The Last Coat or Hydrosilex. It looked like automotive soap took off the F11 in one of the videos I saw.

What are your thoughts??

I've posted this on another thread, but take some time and do some research on Autogeek.net and their associated forums (autogeekonline and autopia). These products seem to be overpriced, or highly marketed products (hence the Facebook ads) versus proven detailing brands and products. From some quick reading, Hydrosilex seems to be alright, but the longevity of protection seems to be over promised.

https://www.autopia.org/forums/waxes-sealants-and-lsp-s/188914-hydrosilex-recharge.html

I would look into the more proven brands and products of ceramic coatings, or look into the multitude of great sealants from companies like Sonax, McKees37, or others found on reputable detailing resellers.

·
Registered
1,136 Posts

Some of the brands:

What are your thoughts??
You are getting the Facebook ads for those products because you did a search on the product at one time or another in the past. They send ads based upon your search history anywhere on the web.

·
Registered
597 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I've posted this on another thread, but take some time and do some research on Autogeek.net and their associated forums (autogeekonline and autopia). These products seem to be overpriced, or highly marketed products (hence the Facebook ads) versus proven detailing brands and products. From some quick reading, Hydrosilex seems to be alright, but the longevity of protection seems to be over promised.

https://www.autopia.org/forums/waxes-sealants-and-lsp-s/188914-hydrosilex-recharge.html

I would look into the more proven brands and products of ceramic coatings, or look into the multitude of great sealants from companies like Sonax, McKees37, or others found on reputable detailing resellers.
Thanks for the link I'll take a look.

You are getting the Facebook ads for those products because you did a search on the product at one time or another in the past. They send ads based upon your search history anywhere on the web.
I think they started popping up because of all the searches on Subaru Ascent I was doing but I never even looked into these products or anything like them until they started popping up. As was mentioned they seemed a bit expensive so I have held off but I'm really curious if they are easier to apply than some of the waxes I have used in the past while working at least as well.

·
Registered
597 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Just be careful. The dealership I went to applied a paint sealant, but ended up leaving swirl marks over the entire vehicle in the process. Now I'm going to have to have it detailed to remove the sealant and the swirl marks.
The paint on my car looks fine but it feels a bit rough so I plan on washing it to see if everything comes off. If not I might have to clay the car but in doing so I want to add something that is easier to apply than Nufinish wax which I've used in the past.

Edit: If these don't last long but are easier to apply then it will be worth it but I might just buy one of them to try on my wife's car first.

·
Registered
217 Posts
The paint on my car looks fine but it feels a bit rough so I plan on washing it to see if everything comes off. If not I might have to clay the car but in doing so I want to add something that is easier to apply than Nufinish wax which I've used in the past.

Edit: If these don't last long but are easier to apply then it will be worth it but I might just buy one of them to try on my wife's car first.
I put this on my new ascent:
https://www.autogeek.net/klashiggloss.html

It goes on easy and should last a year.

·
Registered
224 Posts
Just be careful. The dealership I went to applied a paint sealant, but ended up leaving swirl marks over the entire vehicle in the process. Now I'm going to have to have it detailed to remove the sealant and the swirl marks.
Professional and hobby detailers will tell anyone to never let the dealer "detail" your car, or even wash it. Improper washing techniques cause more swirls in paint than virtually anything else! Dealer "detailers" are typically not using quality products or methods to get the results of a quality detailer or hobbyist.

·
Registered
6 Posts
90 days without protection will not hurt fresh paint. It is a good idea to lets the solvents release from the fresh paint, a lsp can disrupt that. After the 90 days wash the car, clay it, clean the paint with an aio or paint cleaner then apply a lsp.

·
Registered
542 Posts
I haven’t seen anything to convince me these high $$$ coatings are worth it. Lots of buzzwords like nano this, ceramic that.

If anyone has feedback that these ceramic coatings look like a freshly clayed, mild paint correction/polish/swirl removal and fresh layer of sealant/wax after a year on a car that’s parked outside I’ll be impressed. There’s only so much a coating can repel. The rest needs to be clayed, polished off. Especially on white, where you can see stains.

The coatings are too thin if it’s a liquid application imo.

Paint protection film on the other hand is something I’m investing in. Have done my door sills, headlights and doing my bumper next.

A thick 8 mil layer of physical protection you can feel. Roughly 2x-4x the thickness of actual paint depending on car brand.

·
Registered
542 Posts
Not sure if you’re aware but each time they do this they are removing a small layer of clear coat.

I’d ask for paint protection film if they swirled up my new vehicle or a sizable credit/money return, or a whole new vehicle all together.

I took my tailgate to a “pro” when I was a teenager because I scratched it removing decals. He went to town on a wool pad (very aggresive) and completely removed the clear coat. Rest of the truck is glossy as when it was new 20 years later.

·
Registered
221 Posts
I used Gtechniq Crystal Serum Light on my Ascent and my S4. Very happy with the results so far. It's really important to get these coatings on when the car is new and free of dirt and scratches. After you use it the paint feels really slippery and water beads up like its freshly waxed. The car doesn't get dirty as fast and it's super easy to clean. Things like bird poop and tree sap often just fall off when sprayed with the hose.

Total cost was around $75. I'd never pay a grand like some people do for "professional installation"

·
Registered
221 Posts
How much did it cost you? Did you also supplement with a PPF?
It's $70 on amazon for the small bottle which is just *barely* enough for the Ascent.

No films. Just the ceramic coat. I was skeptical at first but several people in the Audi club had good results with it so I decided to give it a try. There is a youtube video online about how to install it and you must follow those instructions to the letter.

The reason why it's so expensive is that before you ceramic coat, you have to do a ton of prep work. Any defect, no matter how small, will be trapped under the ceramic for years to come. That's why I try to do it as soon as the car comes home. I even asked the dealer not to wax the car during prep so I wouldn't have to clean the wax off like I did on my S4.

·
Registered
1,312 Posts
Think of ceramic coatings as a premium, long lasting wax job. They do a very good job at protecting your finish from contaminants and light swirl marks for a good length of time. But that's all they do. Unlike paint protection film, they cannot protect at all against impacts from road debris or moderate to heavy scratching. Paint protection film is the best you can do to protect your finish.

Don't spend a lot of money on ceramic coatings. If you can find a trusted professional to apply a good ceramic coating product for under a couple of hundred dollars, then it may be worth it to you because it will save you the trouble of waxing for a few years. Or you can apply it yourself for even less.

PPF can be very expensive if you have it installed, and depending on how much of it you want. The front bumper and the front of the hood would be a good place to start. Installed, costs will range from a few hundred to several thousand dollars.

If you don't want to spend a lot of money on this, and you're reasonably handy, apply a ceramic coating yourself or use an excellent polymer based wax. And almost anyone can install PPF on the front of the hood, one of the easiest sections to try. PPF is surprisingly inexpensive when you purchase it in bulk. You can do the front of the hood yourself for less than $50.

·
Registered
4 Posts
How much did it cost you? Did you also supplement with a PPF?
It's $70 on amazon for the small bottle which is just *barely* enough for the Ascent.

No films. Just the ceramic coat. I was skeptical at first but several people in the Audi club had good results with it so I decided to give it a try. There is a youtube video online about how to install it and you must follow those instructions to the letter.

The reason why it's so expensive is that before you ceramic coat, you have to do a ton of prep work. Any defect, no matter how small, will be trapped under the ceramic for years to come. That's why I try to do it as soon as the car comes home. I even asked the dealer not to wax the car during prep so I wouldn't have to clean the wax off like I did on my S4.
Thanks for the detailed response. Please post some pictures. I am getting ready to apply any annual Klasse sealant. I may change my mind and go the ceramic coating route...

Also looking at eBay precut PPF for $300 , that only offer partial hood though..

·
Registered
4 Posts
Also, what products did you use to prep the car and apply the coating? Did you have to clay the car or do any paint corrections?

·
Registered
221 Posts
With the Ascent, I didn't do anything other than wash it and clean off all the water spots. The car was less than 1 week old and being white, it didn't really show any defects or swirl marks yet.

When I did my S4 I washed the car with wax stripper and the went over the entire car with 3M Imperial Hand Glaze to remove light scratches. It was an all day job.

One other important note is that ceramic coats need to be applied indoors and the vehicle should sit untouched for the next 12-24 hours while it cures. Any defects you create will be stuck in there for many years. Get a bright light you can use during application to make sure you are wiping all the edges smooth. Watch the youtube videos online and follow them like it's your religion.

Here's a couple pictures but since the car is white, it doesn't really show the shine. Check my garage for photos of my S4 which is a deep blue and really does show the awesomeness of the ceramic coating.

Attachments

·
Registered
561 Posts
Coatings are decent but overrated for car enthusiasts as water spotting is still an issue and never get that beading and deep shine as would with a quality sealant like Jescar or Wolfgang 3.0 and Collonite 845 top coat.

I like to using coatings for wheels, interior, glass and headlights and a good sealant for paint every 8 months with Collonite 845. Then use a small garden sprayer with a couple capfuls of wolfgang uber rinseless car wash and distilled water and a heavy microfiber and spray down the car and wipe off and have a clean car in less than 5min...no buckets/mitts or water hoses to break out....unless it caked with dirt.

Iron remover and clay mit/bar also not a bad idea on a newer car as once those iron particles embed they are harder to get out especially on white.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts