Subaru Ascent Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Super Moderator
2019 Ascent Touring (CWP)
5,678 Posts
Welcome!! You'll want to spend some time in the Towing discussion area for sure.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Hi everyone,

I'm a prospective owner looking to learn more about folks experience towing with the Ascent. Nice to join the community.
Spending some time looking in the towing section would be a good start. In my opinion the Ascent tows great if you can stay within the payload and tongue weight it's specified for. What are you looking to tow?

·
Registered
43 Posts
I'm looking at a Sol Horizon or Casita 17.
I took a quick look at those two campers. The thing that is going to be your limiting factor is the tongue weight. Once you add a battery, propane, and any stuff you want to bring along you can easily add 100 lbs to the manufacturer's listed tongue weight which is typically the dry weight. This would put the Sol Horizon above the limit of the Ascent but it seems as though the Casita would be fine.

As a rule of thumb when you are looking at a tow vehicle and trailer combination the trailer should be one "weight class" lighter than the vehicle can tow. With the Ascent as the tow vehicle (5000 lbs towing capacity) that means campers that are 3500 lbs GVWR or less. If you are looking at campers between 3500 and 5000 lbs you want a tow vehicle capable of ~7000 lbs. You will, of course, find exceptions to this but they are rare.

·
Registered
2021 Ascent Limited Black/Black
658 Posts
I took a quick look at those two campers. The thing that is going to be your limiting factor is the tongue weight. Once you add a battery, propane, and any stuff you want to bring along you can easily add 100 lbs to the manufacturer's listed tongue weight which is typically the dry weight. This would put the Sol Horizon above the limit of the Ascent but it seems as though the Casita would be fine.

As a rule of thumb when you are looking at a tow vehicle and trailer combination the trailer should be one "weight class" lighter than the vehicle can tow. With the Ascent as the tow vehicle (5000 lbs towing capacity) that means campers that are 3500 lbs GVWR or less. If you are looking at campers between 3500 and 5000 lbs you want a tow vehicle capable of ~7000 lbs. You will, of course, find exceptions to this but they are rare.
I would think that rule of thumb makes a lot of sense, and not just for towing, but for all kinds of things. If I am capable of carrying 100 pounds, that doesn't mean I can be carrying 100 pounds all over the place and up steep hills all day without ended up pretty dang sore or even hurting myself at some point. If one hopes their Ascent is going to last a good number of years (or same goes for their back), then going down a weight class from what it's rated for sounds like a wise thing to do.

·
Registered
2020 Ascent Touring
1,524 Posts
I'm looking at a Sol Horizon or Casita 17.
Someone has written about towing a Sol Horizon in the towing section. Just do a search.

Be careful with any trailer. Some trailers have tanks forward of the axle and many have pass through storage in the front. Both can quickly increase the tongue weight.

Don't let the RV dealers talk you into weight distributing hitch to "lighten" the tongue. Don't believe it and WDH aren't useable on the Ascent. There's a huge pinned thread on this subject.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Someone has written about towing a Sol Horizon in the towing section. Just do a search.

Be careful with any trailer. Some trailers have tanks forward of the axle and many have pass through storage in the front. Both can quickly increase the tongue weight.

Don't let the RV dealers talk you into weight distributing hitch to "lighten" the tongue. Don't believe it and WDH aren't useable on the Ascent. There's a huge pinned thread on this subject.
Thank you, I did read about it which is what inspired me to possibly consider the Sol Horizon as opposed to the Casita which I'm very confident it can handle. The extra space in the Horizon, including not having to setup the bed each night, is very tempting!

·
Registered
2020 Ascent Touring
1,524 Posts
Thank you, I did read about it which is what inspired me to possibly consider the Sol Horizon as opposed to the Casita which I'm very confident it can handle. The extra space in the Horizon, including not having to setup the bed each night, is very tempting!
I have to admit that the Sol is intriguing and if I ever get to a point where I can travel again, I can probably make it work. Although, by then I might also have a full size pickup in which case there are plenty of options.

·
Registered
2019 Subaru Ascent Limited 2010 Subaru Legacy GT limited
945 Posts
The Intech Sol Horizon would be a good match with the ascent the GVWR is 80% of the max tow capacity and hitch weight can always be adjusted by moving cargo around, the width and length should also pair nicely. I've seen an outback towing one in North Florida an Ascent would have no issue with it.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts