Subaru Ascent Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all-

I just purchased a set of take-off OEM Wheels & Tires with OEM TPMS sensors and have a couple of questions:
  • Will I have to go to a Subaru dealer to program the new take-off wheels or would a tire shop be able to do it?
  • Does the programming require the sensors be removed from the wheel?
  • Is there a tool which I can purchase to allow me to program the OE sensors?

I ask because I plan on powder coating the wheels and having the tires mounted by the shop. I want to avoid having to dismount the tires (for fear of scratching the new finish) to program the sensors.

Thanks in advance!

·
Administrator
10,968 Posts
  • Will I have to go to a Subaru dealer to program the new take-off wheels or would a tire shop be able to do it?
Tire shops with the most up to date profile will be able to do it.

• Does the programming require the sensors be removed from the wheel?
No. They stick the reader near the valve stem.

• Is there a tool which I can purchase to allow me to program the OE sensors?
Yes. Just make sure it's got the newest vehicle information. Autel makes one of the most commonly used aftermarket one I've seen, and has versions that support the Ascent.

BUT...
If you're doing this to change tires for the season or events, then get clonable TPMS sensors for the new set and have someone program them to match the ones on the car.

·
Registered
684 Posts
tool like Autel TS508
https://www.amazon.com/Autel-TS508-Relearn-Pressure-Monitor/dp/B08CBW1343/
can program / OEM sensors to the car if you already have it in your second set of wheels

BUT... if you don't have a tool , clonable TPMS sensors (like Robert mention ) is the way to go ... as you don't have to program every time you switch your tire sets

sensors i used

·
Registered
2020 Ascent Limited
34 Posts
Been trying to get a clear answer on this. If you move your programmed OEM sensors to a set of aftermarket wheels/tires and put them in the same locations that they were previously is everything good to go?

·
Administrator
10,968 Posts
Been trying to get a clear answer on this. If you move your programmed OEM sensors to a set of aftermarket wheels/tires and put them in the same locations that they were previously is everything good to go?
Five tire rotation, yes, in Ascent model years 2019-2020 (IIRC). In the new model years, you don't have to put them back in the same position or learn genuine Subaru ones.

Four tire rotation with same TPMS (all model years), you can drive 25-30 miles (can happen sooner) and the system should figure out positions.

Thanks @mtmra70!!

·
Administrator
10,968 Posts
You have to reprogram the position when you rotate your tires?!
Or drive up to 25-30 miles for it to reset. Sorry, thinking five wheel - that requires reprogramming. Updating my response.

·
Registered
2020 Ascent Limited
34 Posts
Five tire rotation, yes, in Ascent model years 2019-2020 (IIRC). In the new model years, you don't have to put them back in the same position or learn genuine Subaru ones.

Four tire rotation with same TPMS (all model years), you can drive 25-30 miles (can happen sooner) and the system should figure out positions.

Thanks @mtmra70!!
Dealer told me I would have to reprogram no matter what. Thought that was fishy. Was going to have them do the mount and balance and move the sensors over from my stock 20s once my stuff comes from Discount Tire. Was planning on an alignment too.

Do people do alignments other places other than the dealer?

·
Administrator
10,968 Posts
Hmmm, you know what? I'm going to do a tire swap today, if I manage to prepare for the hurricane and still have some time left over. I'd like to test this one.

Anyway, the folks at @Discount Tire will definitely know what to do and how to do it, for each model year.

·
Super Moderator
2019 Ascent Touring (CWP)
3,877 Posts
Same TPMS should be fine. An additional set of TPMS...I believe you need to "clone" the originals for a Subaru so you have two identical sets. But I can be wrong about that.

Reactions: Robert.Mauro
1 - 10 of 10 Posts