Subaru Ascent Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi fellow Ascent owner,

I ordered my Ascent back in September, dealer promised it will take 6 to 8 weeks for delivery. I’m in 12 week now, they call me last week said the car is here. when I went to look at the vehicle,the dealer ordered me the wrong trim. So they tells me not to worry, they going to find me the right one through dealer network. So my question, is it possible I can get a vehicle that could be some other dealer’s demo or a vehicle sat on dealer lot for long time?
Can any one let me know on your recent delivery, what vehicle production number is at now? ( last 6 digits of the vin)
At least I know when vehicle shows up I have an idea if new from the build.

Thanks

·
Registered
965 Posts
Hi fellow Ascent owner,

I ordered my Ascent back in September, dealer promised it will take 6 to 8 weeks for delivery. I’m in 12 week now, they call me last week said the car is here. when I went to look at the vehicle,the dealer ordered me the wrong trim. So they tells me not to worry, they going to find me the right one through dealer network. So my question, is it possible I can get a vehicle that could be some other dealer’s demo or a vehicle sat on dealer lot for long time?
Can any one let me know on your recent delivery, what vehicle production number is at now? ( last 6 digits of the vin)
At least I know when vehicle shows up I have an idea if new from the build.

Thanks
That actually means nothing. I know it's SUPPOSED to be the sequence the cars are made in, it really isn't.

And no, you can't get a demo as a new car. As for something sitting on a lot a long time ... those don't exist, either.

Oh, the premiums are sitting for about a month, but that's about it. I only have 9 total cars that are more than 90 days old on my lot, and 3 are BRZ and 3 are Impreza. We typically only have a 35 day inventory on hand - we'll sell basically everything number wise that's on our lot every single month.

·
Registered
764 Posts
And no, you can't get a demo as a new car...
I think the term demo means different things to different people.

We keep one Ascent on our lot at all times for test drives. Then when we have one fall through we offer both Ascents for sale. When one is sold the other one is then turned into the demo model. They are sold as a new car every single time but the most miles we've put on one before it is sold is just under 400 miles. My other store on the other hand, has a brand new Ascent that has over 6000 miles on it. When that one is eventually sold it will be sold as a brand new car because according to Utah state law, a car isn't considered used until someone has taken ownership of the car's title.

On the other hand, all of our loaner fleet vehicles used by service customers will be sold as (certified) used cars with 2000 to 6000 miles on them after their 3 month stay in service. I get some people refer to those as "demo" models as well. But the Chevy store down the street will sell their fleet of service loaners as brand new cars.

Different things to different people ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

·
Registered
965 Posts
I think the term demo means different things to different people.

We keep one Ascent on our lot at all times for test drives. Then when we have one fall through we offer both Ascents for sale. When one is sold the other one is then turned into the demo model. They are sold as a new car every single time but the most miles we've put on one before it is sold is just under 400 miles. My other store on the other hand, has a brand new Ascent that has over 6000 miles on it. When that one is eventually sold it will be sold as a brand new car because according to Utah state law, a car isn't considered used until someone has taken ownership of the car's title.

On the other hand, all of our loaner fleet vehicles used by service customers will be sold as (certified) used cars with 2000 to 6000 miles on them after their 3 month stay in service. I get some people refer to those as "demo" models as well. But the Chevy store down the street will sell their fleet of service loaners as brand new cars.

Different things to different people ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
True - to me (and probably to you as well, since we're both in the business), demo means that the car was pulled from status and specifically put into demonstrator status - so one of the managers was driving it around. (Or it's being used in one of the various things where someone might have one of our cars. We have several cars in dealer demo status, as opposed to be in inventory, which means they're available for sale and on our lot.)

If it's on the lot, and wasn't a pre-sold unit, we'll demonstrate the car and that car may end up with 500 miles on it - but those aren't demo units, those are simply inventory units.

We're like you, our SSLP (Subaru Service Loaner Program) cars are sold as certified pre-owned cars once they leave that program. Those are NOT demo units, since the factory specifically shipped them to us for this program. Those cars are titled to us, and we have to put state tags on them. I'd be curious as to whether the Chevy store you mention puts state tags on their loaners or dealer tags on them. A state tag would mean those cars are titled.

Unrelated to this ... what the heck was it with your dealership and that one Subaru commercial that I saw on Facebook? That was ... odd. :smile_big:

·
Registered
771 Posts
Differences, indeed.

My '05 Legacy 2.5GT was titled "new," but it was the dealership's "Executive Demo" and had ~3K miles on the odo when I leased it. I fell in love with it when I first laid eyes on it, and at the time, there was nothing else in that configuration - color/trim with 5MT - anywhere even remotely close by (and I needed a new car, right-away).

I got a really good deal for those 3K miles, and the car was pristine in so far as I could see. So I shrugged and said "why not." Besides, it was a lease, and I'd be rid of the car by the time the bumper-to-bumper ran out.

I ended up purchasing the car once the lease was up. She gave me as well as her two subsequent owners a combined total of well over 10 years of trouble-free service before I finally lost track of it.

Did I mention that I *_loved_* that car?

A bit off-topic, and for that I apologize: but definitely, the term "demo" really doesn't mean much.

Miles on the car Sonicrex03, are miles on the car, but what the term "demo" means can be seen by the above two reports to be quite subjective and highly variable. As to how long the vehicle's sat on someone's lot, I know that resources like TrueCar.com registers that detail, but I have no idea how accurate that may be, nor what happens when the vehicle changes location from one dealership to another. @Jason and @Carl Abrams, do you know how TrueCar gets that data?

·
Registered
764 Posts
True - to me (and probably to you as well, since we're both in the business), demo means that the car was pulled from status and specifically put into demonstrator status - so one of the managers was driving it around. (Or it's being used in one of the various things where someone might have one of our cars. We have several cars in dealer demo status, as opposed to be in inventory, which means they're available for sale and on our lot.)

If it's on the lot, and wasn't a pre-sold unit, we'll demonstrate the car and that car may end up with 500 miles on it - but those aren't demo units, those are simply inventory units.

We're like you, our SSLP (Subaru Service Loaner Program) cars are sold as certified pre-owned cars once they leave that program. Those are NOT demo units, since the factory specifically shipped them to us for this program. Those cars are titled to us, and we have to put state tags on them. I'd be curious as to whether the Chevy store you mention puts state tags on their loaners or dealer tags on them. A state tag would mean those cars are titled.
We used to tag, title, license our SSLPs but then we found out we don't have to. We just slap a dealer plate on them now. They still get the necessary state paperwork done, but just move the dealer plates from one car to another when its time is up.

Unrelated to this ... what the heck was it with your dealership and that one Subaru commercial that I saw on Facebook? That was ... odd. :smile_big:
And I don't do much on facebook so I don't know. Maybe you can link to it on here. Our marketing director is a little eccentric so there isn't much that would surprise me from him lol

·
Registered
965 Posts
1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.