Subaru Ascent Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I called the dealer where we bought our travel trailer a few years ago to see if they had experience installing electric brake controllers on an Ascent. The service manager told me that most owners these days are going to Bluetooth controllers, and that RF is another option that a lot of people are happy with. We decided to go with the Prodigy RF, and wondered if anybody here has experience with it.

They can't install it for us for a few weeks and we're also wondering for those who don't DIY it, where do you get your brake controllers installed? One RV dealer I called told me they don't 'specialize' in that and recommended a place forty miles away. Since I live in Dallas, it's hard to imagine having to drive that far to have it done!

All we need is the installation on the Ascent, but not Subaru dealer wants to do anything with non-Subaru after market parts. Is this something we could go to a general car repair shop and have done?

·
Super Moderator
2019 Ascent Touring (CWP)
4,569 Posts
First I've heard of 'most owners' going with an RF/Bluetooth solution...regular controllers like the Tekonshia Prodegy P3 are pretty much plug and play install that only takes a few minutes. The connector is under the dash and part of the factory harness. There are several discussions on controllers in the Towing forum discussion area.

·
Registered
124 Posts
I purchased the Tekonshia Prodigy P3 based on what others have said. I have yet to install it (yeah i know im no help) but I will install today and let you know how it goes. My understanding is its pretty much plug and play after you connect some wires together.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I purchased the Tekonshia Prodigy P3 based on what others have said. I have yet to install it (yeah i know im no help) but I will install today and let you know how it goes. My understanding is its pretty much plug and play after you connect some wires together.
Curious as to how the installation went? What wiring harness did you end up going with? Did you have to run a wire to the battery behind the firewall? And just plug in the rest to the plug that is in the trunk?

·
Super Moderator
2019 Ascent Touring (CWP)
4,569 Posts
Curious as to how the installation went? What wiring harness did you end up going with? Did you have to run a wire to the battery behind the firewall? And just plug in the rest to the plug that is in the trunk?
Plug and Play operation essentially means OEM tow harness is already setup in the Ascent with the OEM hitch receiver. There are no wires to run as there's a simple plug in the footwell of the driver's side. The wires the poster mentions likely refers to the pigtail that Subaru provides with the OEM towing option to adapt to the chosen brake controller's pigtail. Tekonshia, however, offers pre-terminated cables that plug directly into many vehicle manufacturer's OEM brake controller connections, eliminating any wiring at all.

Reactions: AnacortesArmyGuy

·
Registered
377 Posts
There is also the Curt Echo which you control with your smart phone via bluetooth. It is a progressive rate controller. if the connection fails it defaults to the last setting entered. It is about half the cost of that RF controller. No wiring or mounting of a bracket. Echo: A Wireless Brake Controller for Your Smartphone.

The Echo can have multiple settings stored for different trailers and different load weights on those trailers.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts