Subaru Ascent Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone else have issues with the seatbelt for the 3rd row center seat lying across their neck instead of their chest and shoulders?

I am talking for adults and older kids, not for carseats. When I seat in that seat (my height is a very average 5'6"), the seatbelt lies across my neck instead of over my shoulder and chest. That seems very unsafe (I would never let my child sit in a seatbelt that fit like that -- this is why older kids use booster seats). The problem seems to be that the seatbelt comes from almost directly overhead, instead of back and to the side like most seatbelts. Subaru must realize this is an issue because they included that dinky "comfort strap" (as it is called in the manual) that tucks into a little pocket in the upper right corner of the center 3rd row seat, but as far as I can tell that strap doesn't help much. I put it on -- but the seatbelt was still across my neck.

We are close to purchasing a 7 passenger Ascent, but I am worried that the 3rd row center seat might be useless and unsafe. Has anyone else noticed this? Any clever fixes to make this seat safe? I love the Ascent but I really need 7 safe, functional seatbelts.

Thanks for your help!

·
Registered
455 Posts
Not sure about the rear center belt. But make sure you try your booster seat base in the 3rd row if you intend for the kids to sit back there. The 3rd row seats are very narrow - so much so that with a booster seat, oftentimes the seatbelt buckle on the outboard seating positions is impinged upon and partially covered by the booster seat base.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks, I will test my booster. But I am also concerned about simply an average height adult sitting in that seat.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts