Subaru Ascent Forum banner

Problem with Tom Tom Navigation

5K views 8 replies 5 participants last post by  Robert.Mauro 
#1 ·
Picked up my 2020 Ascent limited 3 weeks ago. It seems that the navigation is missing the state of New Jersey. The dealer did a update yesterday and told me all of North America was updated. Went to pick up the car this morning and still could not load a New Jersey address. Told the dealer to make sure it can recognize every state and Canada before they tell me it is fixed. They tell me they have not seen this problem. Has anyone else had a similar problem? Thanks, Ted.

#2 ·
Did you or your dealer download NJ map details called Regions over WiFi after they updated the map software, which doesn't include detailed addresses? Hard to believe a dealer wouldn't know about this.

This is an owner function done over WiFi, where you can choose up to 8 different regions to download. It's under your Navigation menu.

Look in your Radio and Navigation manual, it's on page 196 in my 2019 manual: Updating the map data manually.

This should fix the problem.

#3 ·
The dealer updated the whole navigation to the latest version and it was still missing New Jersey. It is not something related to a individual state update of maps. It does not acknowledge that New Jersey exists even thought it lists NJ as state that can be updated.

#5 ·
It did happen to me: I started an update over WiFi, it took forever so I drove off, losing the WiFi connection. My entire state vanished, it looked completely blank, all other states were still there.
I went to the updates and fired up the update again. It restarted the whole download again, but this time I had the patience to wait for it to finish (and I didn't want to hear the wife keep complaining how I ruined her car's navigation, so locking myself in the car for a long time seemed like a great option). It completed the update and all is back to normal.

#6 ·
One more thing: the " all of north america" is a generic map included with the base firmware. It doesn't include the tiny details, small roads, etc just the main roads in the country. This means the dealership updated the firmware, but if you had a bad download of a specific state it doesn't fix it.
The regional maps are far more detailed and are downloaded individually. When you have a region listed, it overrides the base map and if that's damaged or incomplete, the whole state goes blank, I guess it overrides the map because it's listed, but when it can't access the whole databasd it gives up and shows a blank. It's no big deal, worst case remove the region and add it back if my the update doesn't fix it.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.