Subaru Ascent Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Few weeks ago I went on 800 mile drive and came how to full of bugs on my bumper and radiator. A simple car was took care of the bugs on front bumper.
This morning I noticed under hood where air flow's to engine, there are lot of bugs on the engine head. Does any one have a solution for that? like an after market mesh which blocks bugs from entering hood air flow input?

Do i have to clean these bugs off the engine?

·
Registered
1,118 Posts
The silver thing on top of the engine that looks like a radiator with lots of fins is the intercooler for the turbo. It is used to cool the air that the turbocharger compresses before it goes into the engine. Yes, the bugs need to be cleand off it. I carefully vacuum the intercooler periodically to get the dead bugs, leaves, and other debris off it. When you vacuum the intercooler be very gentile and careful so you do not bend any of the fins.

·
Super Moderator
2,454 Posts
Unfortunately they're a PITA. If you're talking about the intercooler sitting on top of the engine you have to be careful not to bend the cooling fins. I tried pressure washing mine and bent a couple when the wand wasnt even that close. Dont do that! If you look into the front grille you'll probably see them there as well. Besides being unsightly they're not going to hurt anything unless they're completely blocking the heat transfer surface.
If you're talking about bugs just on the engine itselfl you can scrub/hose/pressure wash them directly. Make sure your engine is cool first and dont spray any fuse boxes or cableways directly and you should be fine.

·
Super Moderator
2,454 Posts
The silver thing on top of the engine that looks like a radiator with lots of fins is the intercooler for the turbo. It is used to cool the air that the turbocharger compresses before it goes into the engine. Yes, the bugs need to be cleand off it. I carefully vacuum the intercooler periodically to get the dead bugs, leaves, and other debris off it. When you vacuum the intercooler be very gentile and careful so you do not bend any of the fins.
Do you have a brush attachment or something for your vacuum?

·
Registered
1,118 Posts
Do you have a brush attachment or something for your vacuum?
No, I just use a shop vac without any attachements. The fins look like they are aluminum and would bend easily so I would be weary of using a brush or other attachment. I am very carefull with it because I know how easy it is to bend the fins and it is very tedious to straighten them back out. I worked on apartment ACs when I was in college and straightening fins was just part of the fun. I don't get all the bugs off but it does get 90+% of them. I am thinking of trying the vacuums at the local car wash which are much stronger.

·
Registered
684 Posts
The intercooler fins don't just look like they will bend easily - they definitely bend very easily.

It was easier with the GD/GG-chassis WRXes, as you could just turn their hood scoops around for driving in buggier areas or during inclement weather........OK, just kidding, with that one. :)

But those fins really do bend very, very easily. Just sucking them clean would be the way to go, if they get too cruddy.

·
Registered
494 Posts
Remember the good old days when Subaru fans would talk about getting soap on the intercooler?
LOL!!!

Soo...I wont do any damage if soap gets on the intercooler? What if I spray it with the hose? Would too much water be damaging?

Oh the good ole days...

·
Administrator
10,987 Posts
Wait until you find bent fins due to rocks hitting the intercooler. Happens all the time on my son's WRX.
I think we are a little luckier in that regard, because of the way our ducting is arranged.

I also think the hood scoop duct looks really cool. Someone mocked up one on an Ascent a while back, but I can't find it.

·
Registered
822 Posts
I think we are a little luckier in that regard, because of the way our ducting is arranged.

I also think the hood scoop duct looks really cool. Someone mocked up one on an Ascent a while back, but I can't find it.
Robert I remember that photoshopped pic ,it was a CWP and lowered with aftermarket tires & wheels atop of snow.I agree with a scoop the intercooler would be more vulnerable.

·
Registered
542 Posts
Robert I remember that photoshopped pic ,it was a CWP and lowered with aftermarket tires & wheels atop of snow.I agree with a scoop the intercooler would be more vulnerable.
That would be me ??, pretty sloppy photoshop job but good enough for Instagram

Scoop, lowered, and flared out the lower grill section by the fogs

And the original

·
Registered
542 Posts
Also me, driving through the Salton Sea during a massive butterfly migration due to the superbloom / heavy rainfall we had this year in LA

Must of killed hundreds ? since they fly so low, luckily I had my clear bra installed.

Found 10 on my intercooler

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.