Subaru Ascent Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

Problem: radio waves from the key fob interferes with the medical device.

I have a question for you. How I could disable permanently any proximity features of my Subaru Ascent 2020 key fob while still able to use buttons to open/close doors and trunk. I need to make sure that the key fob does not send/receive any waves while in the pocket. I want it to send radio waves only if I press the button. The "sleep mode" is too complicated as you need to engage it every time after you lock/unlock the door.

Thank you.

·
Registered
3,843 Posts
Not sure but I found this. I offered up this info on ICDs assuming this or something similar is involved. I would keep the fob in a small pocket case of foil that inhibits the signal (FARADAY’S CAGE). You can then take it out of the case when you need it. The article talks about keeping at least 6" away from the medical device.

·
Registered
2020 Ascent, 2011 WRX, 2009 Outback
666 Posts
I understand the request, but I dont have an answer.

I am presuming you have the keyless entry and keyless start? How are you planning to start the Ascent if it is keyless start?

·
Registered
17 Posts
I will press the button to unlock the door and then will press the Start button with the FOB. It works even with a FOB in a sleeping mode. The only problem is that I have to put that FOB back to the sleeping mode every time I pres a button to unlock or to lock the car. If we disable the whole proximity automatism with the procedure well explained in the manual will it also disable the FOB itself? or the only way to sent my FOB to sleep is to do it manually over and over again?

·
Premium Member
345 Posts
Consult your doctor as well.

They can, on your behalf, reach out to the medical device manufacturer to see if there are any actionable items which are absolutely necessary.

Any advice offered here may be misconstrued as medical advice; it absolutely is not.

I've worked with an engineering team on a US FDA Class III device that was controlled via RF, and interference from low RF devices was such a remote and unlikely risk, it wasn't worth mitigating.

All that said, please contact a medical professional for advice.

·
Administrator
11,121 Posts
  1. Please contact your medical professional about the matter.
    They can look up the device based off Denso's FCC ID on the back of the FOB. That will provide them all the information they will need regarding frequencies and signal strengths. They are best suited to know if your particular medical device can be interfered with by our particular FOBs. Anyone else following this for similar reasons should also do the same, to determine if their, likely different medical device, has any operational/interference concerns with the FOBs.

2. The FOB can be "turned off" at any time, using a certain press sequence (after pin unlock has been set up), but, it needs to be on for the car to be able to be started. Regardless, (a) FOB communication is two way at times, and (b) there are other transceivers in the car, including WiFi and cellular telematics. Brings us back to #1.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Thank you for your answer.
Agree 100% with the first part. Now for the second part, could you please clarify some misunderstandings if any? So the sequence of actions would be:
1. Set up the pin
2. Proceed with the disabling of the proximity features. i.e. playing with the driver's door and buttons.
3. Then to disable the FOB itself. Which will be turning on, again and again, each time when I press the button or not? Will it be disabled permanently with the disabling of the proximity features of the car?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts