Subaru Ascent Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
There have been lots of posts and talks about the other suspension packages (LP, Anderson) but I have not heard from anyone with the Primitive Lift.

I am looking at this one because of the shock replacement - 20-30% stiffer - and I certainly feel ours needs it. Too much sag, sway and bottom-outs when fully loaded on our family off-highway camping trips. We haven't towed yet but it will soon and often. With the lift coming from longer springs I should be able to get a bit more wheel travel as well (see pic of why this is important to me).

Has anyone installed these and can offer any helpful reviews??
And Thanks for the great forum!

Land vehicle Vehicle Car Off-roading Automotive tire

·
Registered
103 Posts
I don’t personally have any experience with primitive racing’s lift kit, as I opted for Anderson design 1.5”. Writing this to you because I noticed nobody has chimed in with their personal experience. On the other hand I do have experience speaking to primitive racing regarding their skid plates etc and ended up going with them. They are honest people and have been doing mods for a long time to our Subaru’s. If you don’t find the answer you’re looking for here, give them a call and explain your situation and see if their kit is a good match for your application. I’m certain they will be honest and won’t just try to sell you something just to make a sale. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
21 Posts
I have experience with a Primtive lift (not ascent though). I would wait because the springs may not match up. You may need to also contact RallyTek.

·
Registered
542 Posts
I have a set of Eibach prototype springs and they are fantastic. They gave me a tour of their facility too and their R&D/QA is top notch.

I was concerned with the ride as I liked Oem ride a lot, but they made it better. Flatter on corners, bumps and potholes that are normally jarring are softened.

If you can wait, I’d put my money towards Eibach. They probably have more suspension experience than the rest of the manufacturers combined. The engineer is a subie guy too.

·
Registered
559 Posts
I have a set of Eibach prototype springs and they are fantastic. They gave me a tour of their facility too and their R&D/QA is top notch.

I was concerned with the ride as I liked Oem ride a lot, but they made it better. Flatter on corners, bumps and potholes that are normally jarring are softened.

If you can wait, I’d put my money towards Eibach. They probably have more suspension experience than the rest of the manufacturers combined. The engineer is a subie guy too.
Do the springs raise or lower the Ascent. I'm only familiar with Eibach lowering springs.

·
Registered
542 Posts
Do the springs raise or lower the Ascent. I'm only familiar with Eibach lowering springs.
I was too, but this is a lift. I’d probably go for some lowering springs too if I didn’t have to put a baby in the back. Some 22”s ?

I would be surprised if other brands put as much R&D and have access to the same resources as Eibach

Can’t say how much lift you get yet, but it’s comparable to what’s on the market

http://instagr.am/p/Bz_tWZTBIXa/

·
Registered
223 Posts

Hi Soca,

I'm interested in upgraded springs and suspension and have put a query into Eibach at your suggestion. If they are indeed lifted are you aware if they include the appropriate multi-link spacers for the subframe and brake lines etc? similar to the primitive kit?

Thanks

·
Registered
223 Posts

Hi Soca,

How did you order them. I can't find any matches searching their website, and they do not respond via email. Seems their customer service is suspect.

Thanks

·
Registered
223 Posts

Hi Soca,
You mentioned they are prototype, how did you get a hold of them early? I called them and they are not available until Nov/Dec 2019. They are only available in 1.7" lift front/ 1.4" lift in the rear. No OEM original height with increased stiffness. They claim 15% stiffer on the lifted springs though.

All the other lift kits, LP, ADF, including Primitive racing (which utilizes King springs) include multi-link sub frame spacers. Eibach confirmed that they DO NOT include any other hardware or spacers, other than the 4 springs. This seems suspect to me. How did you find the alignment after the lift? Did you use any spacers or additional hardware?

Thanks

·
Registered
223 Posts
There have been lots of posts and talks about the other suspension packages (LP, Anderson) but I have not heard from anyone with the Primitive Lift.

I am looking at this one because of the shock replacement - 20-30% stiffer - and I certainly feel ours needs it. Too much sag, sway and bottom-outs when fully loaded on our family off-highway camping trips. We haven't towed yet but it will soon and often. With the lift coming from longer springs I should be able to get a bit more wheel travel as well (see pic of why this is important to me).

Has anyone installed these and can offer any helpful reviews??
And Thanks for the great forum!

View attachment 1329 .
Hi subiefam.

Installed the primitive racing 1.25" king spring suspension lift. Wondering if you're still deciding. I chose primitive over LP and ADF as I too wanted stiffer springs. I tow and and enjoy soft-roading. It came with all subs frame spacers.

It handles GREAT! With less body roll. It looks awesome (I opted for the yellow color). It requires 200+ lbs. in the back or tongue weight to take away the harsh recoil over bumps. Unloaded it is harsh.

I moly wanted a small lift. I already have over size tires which give it 0.5" lift. 265/60r18 wild country on KMC Bully 708 18x8.5 with 38 offset. Side note: I think this low offset adds a great look. I'm considering adding Rallitek spacers. Does anyone have experience with wheel spacers?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Hi subiefam.

Installed the primitive racing 1.25" king spring suspension lift. Wondering if you're still deciding. I chose primitive over LP and ADF as I too wanted stiffer springs. I tow and and enjoy soft-roading. It came with all subs frame spacers.

It handles GREAT! With less body roll. It looks awesome (I opted for the yellow color). It requires 200+ lbs. in the back or tongue weight to take away the harsh recoil over bumps. Unloaded it is harsh.

I moly wanted a small lift. I already have over size tires which give it 0.5" lift. 265/60r18 wild country on KMC Bully 708 18x8.5 with 38 offset. Side note: I think this low offset adds a great look. I'm considering adding Rallitek spacers. Does anyone have experience with wheel spacers?
I went with the Primitive lift with the King Springs. Love the difference in the way the vehicle feels planted now on the street. They are indeed stiffer, but never harsh.

This past weekend we took it out exploring through the desert and had 6 people and a dog in the car. Went through washes and some rocky ledges, bit of everything. Handled great and no bottom-outs - no regrets in the upgrade. I have a small concern that the shocks may not be paired well with the springs now, but more of these rides are needed.

I will next be getting some 18s so that I can put on some proper A/Ts, but it was good to just do this separate so that I can really tell the difference.

·
Registered
2020 Ascent Limited
18 Posts
Hi subiefam.

I have the Primitive lift that was installed at my dealership. This is my first experience with the lift springs (I previously had the ADF lift on my outback) & I may be in the minority but I HATE the way it drives. WAY too soft and squishy & body roll is all over the place!! Maybe I got Lemon Springs, lol

Just my $.02... Probably going to look into ADF & eat what I already paid. Such is life

·
Registered
223 Posts
I have the Primitive lift that was installed at my dealership. This is my first experience with the lift springs (I previously had the ADF lift on my outback) & I may be in the minority but I HATE the way it drives. WAY too soft and squishy & body roll is all over the place!! Maybe I got Lemon Springs, lol

Just my $.02... Probably going to look into ADF & eat what I already paid. Such is life
That's definitely bizarre. As theoretically it should be the opposite. No matter how you lift a vehicle, you are raising the center of gravity, which will inherently give it 'some' extra body roll. If spacers are used the ride comfort should be similar with no change to the suspension.

With a spring lift, there is increased spring rate, with Primitive I believe it's 20-25% which should help to counter act that slight 'body roll'. It also helps with nose dive on steep descent, as well as butt sag when towing. Win-win-win. As you say, most of those who have chimed in on the spring lifts have felt a huge improvement in handling, so that is most unfortunate you have not.

Curious who installed your springs? Check with them?

In addition, I hear that installing harder sway bar bushings can help with body roll.

·
Registered
2020 Ascent Limited
18 Posts
Who know's maybe i'm the 1 in a million (time to buy a lotto ticket, lol) :)

I have an appointment at the dealership that installed them this upcoming Monday, so will definitely discuss. Also, does anyone have any experience/suggestions for the stiffer/harder sway bar bushings? I've seen a 9 page thread on here but figured I'd ask as well.

Cheers!

·
Registered
377 Posts
I'll second check on the install. Found out the Metal Cloak lift on our Wrangler was installed wrong months later and after it did hundreds of dollars of damage.

·
Registered
377 Posts
Who know's maybe i'm the 1 in a million (time to buy a lotto ticket, lol) :)

I have an appointment at the dealership that installed them this upcoming Monday, so will definitely discuss. Also, does anyone have any experience/suggestions for the stiffer/harder sway bar bushings? I've seen a 9 page thread on here but figured I'd ask as well.

Cheers!
traildogck He is the CK of CKE bushings. I think at this point you may have to email him as Subaru made him take down his eBay page.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts