Subaru Ascent Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Wife and I are looking at getting an Ascent to replace our Forester. We are fine with the 7 passenger Premium with Package 12/Convenience Package. I'm in the NY metro area and from what I can tell a new 2020 here goes for $35k-$37k which isn't much below MSRP. I haven't started negotiating yet but that's what I see on TrueCar. It looks like there are some 2019 used models popping up with fairly low miles for $30k-$33k. Given that the 2019 was the first year of the model how much of a gap between new and used pricing would you want to see before considering the used car?

·
Super Moderator
2019 Ascent Touring (CWP)
4,215 Posts
Why not talk with Dan at Liberty Subaru in NJ...a forum sponsor here. You'll get far better prices than what you are seeing locally...see the vendor's section of the forums.

You will not find a huge inventory of used Ascents at this point. Things will kick up substantially when all those 3 year leases start to expire in just over a year. Yes, there are some out there, but not a lot. Folks who have found them haven't reported large cost incentive there, either, because most used at this point will likely be lower mileage still.

Reactions: HeyChris

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks, didn't know there was a forum sponsor nearby. We aren't in a rush to buy but probably will want to do it sometime this year. With multiple kids and all their associated gear the Forester is just feeling too small. We were able to get the Forester as a used car but with ~5,000 miles on it because it had been a dealer loaner and got it for a great deal. So I keep watching to see if anything pops up used on the Ascent side but obviously it was not the type of car to be a dealer loaner so those are harder to find. I would love to wait for the 3 year lease returns to start hitting the market but I don't think I will be able to convince my wife to stick with her car for another 1.5 years or so for that to happen.

When I get more serious about buying soon I will give Dan a call. I'm guessing Memorial Day sales will be the next best time to shop aggressively now that President's Day is passed.

·
Super Moderator
2019 Ascent Touring (CWP)
4,215 Posts
I had an Ascent loaner over the weekend while we had our 2011 Outback Limited in for service...which we traded in on Saturday for a 2020 Forester Limited. LOL Subaru does provide Ascent loaners, but there are only so many in each "fleet" that a dealer will have available at any one time. But they also tend to be Premium trim, so if you want higher trim or options, a loaner vehicle being sold off (how that works for a dealer I don't know since Subaru provides them) may still not meet your needs like a demonstration/staff vehicle might. That said, while the 2020 Forester is literally a "mini-me" of my Ascent, you are correct about the space difference inside so I can appreciate your desire to up-size given your family's needs.

Dan's deals are good no matter what the time of year...message him now to see how his deal works. And the .9% financing from Subaru (Chase, actually) is da-bomb if you have excellent credit scores. We took advantage of that for the new Forester this weekend as it was well below our normal excellent rates from PenFed.

·
Registered
3,847 Posts
Thanks, didn't know there was a forum sponsor nearby. We aren't in a rush to buy but probably will want to do it sometime this year. With multiple kids and all their associated gear the Forester is just feeling too small. We were able to get the Forester as a used car but with ~5,000 miles on it because it had been a dealer loaner and got it for a great deal. So I keep watching to see if anything pops up used on the Ascent side but obviously it was not the type of car to be a dealer loaner so those are harder to find. I would love to wait for the 3 year lease returns to start hitting the market but I don't think I will be able to convince my wife to stick with her car for another 1.5 years or so for that to happen.

When I get more serious about buying soon I will give Dan a call. I'm guessing Memorial Day sales will be the next best time to shop aggressively now that President's Day is passed.
You might reconsider your timing. Talk to Dan about used and new Ascents. They may go for a better price now given the status of car sales (virus related) and the increased costs of holding on to lot inventory. You might even reconsider the new car option given the incentive of Subaru's 0% interest rate. My guess is (without having looked at the deal details) is that you would need to qualify for the Subaru financing as well as take inventory off the lot. If that is the case, you may receive better value with a new 2020 than a used 2019.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts