1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Registered
124 Posts
Done right, a power washer will take everything off down to the bare metal.
I would not use one on a car. A cement walkway - yes.

·
Registered
370 Posts
Standing way back, a power washer would work, but a hose is much better in my opinion. I use Meguiar's Gold Class Car Wash. Best I've ever found. Just please don't use dishwashing soap!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Standing way back, a power washer would work, but a hose is much better in my opinion. I use Meguiar's Gold Class Car Wash. Best I've ever found. Just please don't use dishwashing soap!
Do you use it with a foam cannon?

·
Registered
2,115 Posts
Hi everyone,

Does anyone have experience washing the Ascent with a pressure/power washer? I have a Sun Joe SPX3000 pressure washer and was wondering if it's safe to use. Also, are there any recommendations of what soap to use? I was thinking of getting the below but I'm not sure if it's compatible with the Cinnamon Brown paint.

I have not had any problems with my Sun Joe as long as i maintain my distance. I use Chemical Guy products. The Sun Joe foam gun works well for laying down the soap.

·
Super Moderator
1,810 Posts
An electric pressure washer will be fine to use, even with a narrow 15° nozzle. If you’re using a higher pressure gas powered washer use a wider nozzle or stand back farther.
I bought an angled nozzle attachment to get inside the wheel wells too.
Just for fun and pre-soak I foam cannon everything first. Then I rinse and use 6 micro fibers to wipe with ONR. After each panel I dry with a drying towel and C2V3 as a drying aid. Paint is about as smooth as the day I bought it without having ever applied a real ceramic coating.
The main things to keep in mind with a pressure washer are not to use a 0° nozzle and don’t spray it at the ground toward the vehicle.

·
Registered
2019 Ascent Touring (CWP)
2,311 Posts
The nozzle matters....wide pattern for sure and many units have a special "soap dispenser" nozzle that take a lot of the pressure off while delivering detergent at the same time.

Reactions: xydadx3

·
Registered
1,199 Posts
I don't like going to commercial car washes because there can be dirt and grit in their brushes which can scratch the finish. However, they clean cars better and faster than you can at home with just a hose, sponge, and bucket. So, I came up with a way to have all the benefits of a commercial car wash at home.

The first thing was to buy a small, inexpensive electric pressure washer. This is the one I chose, but there are many like it. You can often find them for around $65 on sale. With a small pressure washer like this, it's virtually impossible to hurt the finish. It doesn't generate enough power to damage a finish, unlike a large gas-powered washer which could potentially do some damage. Using the wide spray nozzle, I first tested it out at an extremely close range on my old 2002 Solara. I held it directly on the finish for several minutes and it did absolutely no damage at all. So, at normal range, it's perfectly fine for any car, it produces about the same amount of power as a commercial car wash sprayer which, of course, is carefully designed not to damage anything. It doesn't even affect the wax coating which remains intact well after multiple washes. Still, it has much better cleaning power than just a garden hose sprayer.

The electric pressure washer comes complete with a foam cannon that works great. It covers the car in thick foam which dissolves the dirt. I begin by using the sprayer to remove most of the surface dirt and grime. I then use the foam cannon to cover the car in thick foam. I let that soak for a minute or so and then I spray it off. The car is 90% clean at this point, and all the dangerous dirt and grit that can scratch your finish is gone without ever needing to touch the surface, unlike with using a conventional sponge. This is the way preferred by professional detailers to avoid damaging the finish. The only thing remaining is the stubborn surface film that does need to be sponged off.

At this point, you can use a conventional bucket of car wash and sponge, but this method is slow and you end up getting soaked. So, I purchased a car wash brush. Using a hose splitter and one of those lightweight, expandable garden hoses, I connected the brush to the same feed hose as the pressure washer. You fill the brush's reservoir with car wash detergent and then, using just a light stream of water thru the hose, it does an excellent job of quickly and thoroughly cleaning the car. The Ascent is quite high, but the extension tube on the brush allows you to clean the top easily. I then finish by using the pressure washer spray to final rinse the car. The results are as good or better than you can get using any washing method at a commercial car wash or at home and much faster than hand washing.

The electric pressure washer is so small that it's easy to store. The expanding garden hose retracts and is so lightweight that you can just tuck it away anywhere. I used quick-connect fittings so everything goes together and comes quickly apart. The entire rig can be set up and put away in just a couple of minutes.

I usually spend at least $5-7 at a commercial car wash's manual bay, so this setup will eventually pay for itself and I don't have to travel to get to a car wash or worry about their sketchy brushes scratching my car's finish.

So, this is how to have all the benefits but none of the concerns of a commercial car wash in your own driveway.

·
Registered
370 Posts
Do you use it with a foam cannon?
No, but I've only recently became aware of them. I just add some to a bucket and use a car washing sponge like this;
Amazon car wash sponge

It works well and rinses clean between dunks in the soap water bucket to prevent contamination.
Also, I use Calgon water softener in my final rinse water. After hosing off, I do a final rinse with Calgon water softener mixed in a rinse water bucket. It lets the water sheen off and not water spot. Saves me from towel drying, especially the windows.
I've heard that Finish Jet Dry for dishwashers does the same thing. A squirt in a bucket of water for a final rinse keeps the water spots off.

·
Registered
459 Posts
Ive recently started using a pressure washer and foam cannon to wash my cars. I was under the belief that it would be too strong and damage the paint, but quickly learned that the commercial electrical washers, shouldnt be strong enough to do any damage (with some common sense of course). I must say, it makes life so much easier, and the foam cannon is oddly addictive to use. I have the black silica, and joke that I always wanted a white car.

Add a layer of ceramic coating and a electric blower and car washes will go by so quickly. Not to mention the chance of scratching the car is greatly decreased.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts